Is a vinyl that has not been opened valued more? Found semi rare one

Rattapa

Hi. My father was a fan of classical music and who over the years got a large collection of vinyl. I went thro his collection and found an vinyl that he had not opened. I tried to find a value of it and i found it has recently been sold for 400 euroes but that vinyl had been used. My question is as in the title, is it valued more?. 

Found a picture of the same album online

R-6901661-1463750168-2968.jpeg.jpg

Thank you

https://www.discogs.com/Mahler-Leonard-Bernstein-Symphony-No-7/release/6901661

This will give you an idea of what it has sold for in the past. The value of a record is all relative to how much someone is willing to pay for it. Quite frankly $550 (give or take) is outrageous for this LP

a lot of the deutsche grammophone catalog is insanely collectable, they are really high quality and very clear. Classical collectors are very fickle, because surface noise can be more detrimental with so many soft passages, so a sealed copy will be very desirable. I think you could probably get 400 euros, but I'd suggest ebay and prepare to ship internationally, good luck. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but the question that Rattapa asked was neither if the record is really worth that much nor if someone here would buy it...

The question was simply that of "Is a rare record worth even more only because it is sealed?"

Jimmarcucci was actually on the right track. A sealed record is like Schrodingers Cat. You simply don't know what is inside and what state it is in. It could have been sitting there in mint for all these years and it also could be a battered old disc that has been resealed for sale. I have a shrink tunnel here at work I can seal all my records, who would know.

And you also don't buy the record for the cover, you would want to see the disc and make sure it has the right matrix number and the pressing is of good quality without manufacturing defects.

I have this conundrum a lot of times on ebay as well as Discogs. Someone has a reasonably collectable record on colour at a top end price. He claims that because it is unopen and sealed. Now I am a colour variant collector, so if there is a clear burgundy press of a record, there is bound to be a more blue one due to the mixing of the vinyl. In the initial manufacturing you get a handful of colour transitions  So that blue would be for me very collectable, whilst the burgundy is common a blue may be very rare. So I will not take a punt on buying a sealed copy if I only be ending up with a burgundy again. Equally how does a seller know that it is even on colour? Especially if the release date is some time ago?

For me a sealed record is never attractive to buy so I remove myself from the buyers market. Now the laws of capitalism say something on supply and demand, if I remove myself I reduce demand. Ergo the price should drop as supply stays the same with less people competing over buying it, but that is only half of it...

So it would be interesting to hear how many people would rather buy sealed and therefore make up of me dropping out in this scenario, to see if this will alter demand in the other direction.

Edited by captainreiss

You are wrong. 

While he is asking if a sealed copy is more valuable his actual intention is to see if he can make bank on his specific record. He really doesn't care about anything you posted. 

And since he will never make another Post on this board he can piss off.