Westworld (HBO Show)

YouTwo

12 minutes ago, kjkenney said:

Need to watch this. One of my favorite movies ever, Michael Crichton rules. Do you know is this a continuation in the world or a remake? Haven't looked too much into it other than seeing previews

To be honest. I've never seen the movie so I couldn't tell you.   Based on the description of the movie I'd say re-make.  

Edited by YouTwo

53 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

So who's watching?  Any thoughts on the first episode?  Kind of has a Western meets Jurassic Park vibe to me.  

The original Westworld was written by Michael Crichton who later wrote Jurassic Park.

In terms of if it's a continuation there are a lot of references to the 1973 movie, but we don't know for sure if it's set in the same universe.

12 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

But when can I buy this sweet soundtrack?!

Yep, during the scene with "Paint It Black" all I could think was how sick the special edition 2xLP picture disc box set is going to look on my shelf.

So far I like the show.  I don't know how I'll feel in a couple episodes because I already feel like there isn't enough to keep the intrigue going for a full season of hour long episodes.  I got the impression that this premise would be more successful as a double episode of Black Mirror.  But we'll see, Ed Harris seems pretty cool.

I dug the first episode, curious where they are going to go with it. I really liked the movie as a kid. It seems to be more of a reimagined series, with no evidence  of  other worlds. However,  they did mention an "incident" 30 years prior. It's interesting that the gunslinger robot is now human.

Episode 2 has been up for a few days now. Just got around watching it last night. If their method will be to highlight a different set of characters each episode and let the rest cast be backing, then they will be able to keep it interesting.

Spoiler

Was Maeve having flashbacks to her former programs? It kind of seemed like she was having premonitions with all the talk of dreams.

Watched the premiere finally. So good! Definitely different from the movie. I love the Groundhog Day type thing they had for James Marsden and his lady, really excited to see where this goes. As always, Ed Harris is the man! Now to go watch episode 2, got sidetracked by football this weekend

To me last night's episode started off a little slow.  But towards the end it seemed like the plot was moving foward.  

Spoiler

I mean, we all know the hosts are going to go crazy and start killing people right?  I've never seen the movie but it just seems like that's where this is going.  

I'm liking this show and it's absolutely gorgeous cinematography a lot, and while I don't mind at all that it is in an hour long format, there are definitely stretches in these past couple episodes that feel like obligatory filler. On top of that, personally not a huge fan of jumping around to half a dozen different character arcs, but I can understand the choice for it vs. focusing on a sole character each episode.

Am I missing something, or was it suggested that Ford's partner Arnold was the Man in Black? Ford said that he had died in the park in an accident 30 years ago, and the Man in Black said he has been coming back to Westworld for 30 years. Kind of odd how the way that the Man was represented being shot in the first episode seems different than how the humans are shot and "hurt" by episode 3.

2 minutes ago, chkadea said:

Kind of odd how the way that the Man was represented being shot in the first episode seems different than how the humans are shot and "hurt" by episode 3.

Guessing the Man in black has 30 years of tolerance built up and can take a robo-bullet a little better than a noob.

I really love the theory that the Man In Black is 

Spoiler

William. There was a Reddit post soon after his episode appearance that suggested we're seeing two different Westworld timelines. The biggest giveaway is the Westworld logo being different during the scene where William chooses his outfit. Also Teddy doesn't appear on the train into Westworld with William.

Edited by Unique Antics