PO now: cloud nothings "life without sound"

On 1/22/2017 at 3:27 AM, Derek™ said:

After a week with this album, more or less, I have to say that it's taken the signature "Cloud Nothings turn" that I suspected it may, following the lead of their last two albums which have truly shined and revealed more and more hooks with each revisit.  Not to sound pretentious, but I strongly feel as though this record is nowhere near as shallow or cursory as a lot of first impressions are making it out to be, and definitely not for anyone who may be hoping to casually "check it out" and move onto the next 2017 release without giving it a revisit or second thought.  The tracks that initially seemed "so-so" on first listen have managed to really click into place with the full context of the record, and I've had completely random lines and guitar lines from them in my head, all week.  There's also a handful of instrumental breaks throughout the record that burst with energy and would make for particularly wild moments in a live show.  Super happy with this one and quite eager to have pre-orders arrive.

I was hoping to casually check it out and I didn't like it. I just don't like the overall aesthetic of the band so I don't see how listening to it more will help. 

It actually makes sense to me, for whatever reason.  Have a coworker who has given it two attempts and insists that it's boring, fortgettable, and too close to "radio pop" [?] to bother revisiting again.  He also believes AFI may very well have released his AOTY for 2017, so I don't even bother taking that discussion further.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It actually makes sense to me, for whatever reason.  Have a coworker who has given it two attempts and insists that it's boring, fortgettable, and too close to "radio pop" [?] to bother revisiting again.  He also believes AFI may very well have released his AOTY for 2017, so I don't even bother taking that discussion further.

Hey man, you can like both

23 minutes ago, dnl said:

Hey man, you can like both

In theory.  I've yet to talk to someone with fairly

polar opposite tastes to mine (i.e. AFI or TBS being favorites) who also appreciates this album, for whatever reason.  But it seems plausible.

I dig that it's a whole different animals than H&NE or AOM, which are my go-to albums.  It doesn't have any massive experimental pieces like Wasted Days, and Dylan has definitely toned down on the gritty vocals and screaming for the most part – minus that closer (damn) – but I sort of welcome it all the more for those reasons.  Feels like a nice chapter to their overall story as a band.  At this point I think it may be their most consistent record – not that AOM and H&NE weren't.