PO Now: Zao - The Well-Intentioned Virus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, daegor said:

Dude, The Fear Is What Keeps Us Here is pure gold!

1 hour ago, mindovermatter said:

TFIWKUH is also the favorite LP of the band members, I learned recently.  I can't get past the Albini production, but apparently that's their favorite part. Haha

Musically i like the fear... but i dont like the production. if it sounded like this record or even the funeral of god, it would be massive.

That said, really wish those ferret releases would end up on vinyl since they were never pressed.

8 hours ago, mindovermatter said:

TFIWKUH is also the favorite LP of the band members, I learned recently.  I can't get past the Albini production, but apparently that's their favorite part. Haha

Yeah, they've talked about it pretty extensively.  They wanted to capture their live sound and felt that goal was accomplished.  They also tried some really cool things like using guitar pickups as a mic and layering that under the vocals, the blowout loop at the end of the album, etc.

6 hours ago, mattisr1984 said:

Musically i like the fear... but i dont like the production. if it sounded like this record or even the funeral of god, it would be massive.

That said, really wish those ferret releases would end up on vinyl since they were never pressed.

While Funeral of God is probably my second favourite album, they definitely don't like it at all (production-wise)

14 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

I love everything about Funeral, but I can see why the band wouldn't like it. It's very polished.

In particular they hated the drums, apparently.  I mean, they're is nothing special about them, but I didn't think they were bad.  Maybe they had a different sound in mind that wasn't realized?  There are some killer tracks on that album though, and the whole concept is rad.

id put TFOG over anything theyve done since the self titled record. its also when the band had a fair amount of stability and actually... ya know, went on tour, so it was the one time i actually got to see them live (which may have something to do with it as well). TFIWKUH might be the heaviest record they ever wrote front-to-back but it just doesnt feel like it with the production.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:11 AM, daegor said:

In particular they hated the drums, apparently.  I mean, they're is nothing special about them, but I didn't think they were bad.  Maybe they had a different sound in mind that wasn't realized?  There are some killer tracks on that album though, and the whole concept is rad.

Yeah, I have no idea why because from my perspective it's awesome. It was a different sound and it felt progressive, but professional. Like you know, it was so controversial at the time. They  still had a foot in the Christian scene from my perspective, so it certainly ruffled feathers. AND IT'S JUST SOOOOOO GOOD!

Edited by somethingvinyl

On 12/2/2016 at 10:36 AM, mattisr1984 said:

id put TFOG over anything theyve done since the self titled record.... its also when the band had a fair amount of stability and actually... ya know, went on tour, so it was the one time i actually got to see them live (which may have something to do with it as well). TFIWKUH might be the heaviest record they ever wrote front-to-back but it just doesnt feel like it with the production.

I agree.

And, I don't want to be silly, but I think this is the best sounding thing I've ever heard a band release after a breakup/hiatus/reunion/no-longer touring.

The band have copies of both variants up on bandcamp now, coupled with $5 shipping. That being said, if you're in the US and you want the black variant, still cheaper to go through Amazon. Definitely a cheaper option for the white, though.

https://officialzao.bandcamp.com/

Edited by GhostTrail

14 hours ago, GhostTrail said:

The band have copies of both variants up on bandcamp now, coupled with $5 shipping. That being said, if you're in the US and you want the black variant, still cheaper to go through Amazon. Definitely a cheaper option for the white, though.

https://officialzao.bandcamp.com/

Come to post this.

The white sounds great, BTW, for those that were unsure due to the nature of white vinyl (I was).  I'm a couple of listens in, and this release is dense as fuck.  I'm going to need many listens to digest it, at least a few with headphones and lyrics in hand.  There are not as many instantly catchy hooks as some of their previous material, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It reminds me a lot of my first few listens of The Fear, I couldn't get into it at first but now it's tied for my favourite Zao release.

As far as the production goes, I was actually going to comment on how clear it was, haha.  It's a nice, quiet, clear sound (to my ears at least).  I don't find it muddy at all, and the only fuzz I hear is in the guitar tone.

Edited by daegor