PO NOW: Old Gray - Slow Burn (LP2)

deer

Yeah now that I listened through the new album, you guys are right its not all that similar to Trophy Scars... but I gotta say, just gave "An Autobiography" by Old Gray a play through, and while there's nothing wrong with the new album, on first listen I definitely like An Autobiography a lot more.. Not sure if that one's been mentioned earlier, but its a lot more cohesive and a lot less Hotelier-esque emo poetry (which I'm not particularly big on tbh).

https://oldgray.bandcamp.com/album/an-autobiography

Edited by rogeoa8

2 hours ago, rogeoa8 said:

Yeah now that I listened through the new album, you guys are right its not all that similar to Trophy Scars... but I gotta say, just gave "An Autobiography" by Old Gray a play through, and while there's nothing wrong with the new album, on first listen I definitely like An Autobiography a lot more.. Not sure if that one's been mentioned earlier, but its a lot more cohesive and a lot less Hotelier-esque emo poetry (which I'm not particularly big on tbh).

I still haven't listened to the new one but An Autobiography is stupid good. Their first two eps are totally different too, really don't know what to expect with these guys.

18 hours ago, Shlebs said:

I still haven't listened to the new one but An Autobiography is stupid good. Their first two eps are totally different too, really don't know what to expect with these guys.

Personally, I think there are undeniable similarities between AA and SB (stylistically speaking). I'd say that content-wise SB seems (to me) to be rawer, fiercer, and more emotionally charged, whilst vividly capturing and portraying the devastating feelings of isolation, desperation and anger (not that AA doesn't do that... I'm sure other people can sum it up much better than I have). They are both phenomenal pieces of work.

Edited by SE7EN

1 hour ago, SE7EN said:

Personally, I think there are undeniable similarities between AA and SB (stylistically speaking). I'd say that content-wise SB seems (to me) to be rawer, fiercer, and more emotionally charged, whilst vividly capturing and portraying the devastating feelings of isolation, desperation and anger (not that AA doesn't do that... I'm sure other people can sum it up much better than I have). They are both phenomenal pieces of work.

I finally listened to it and get what you're saying. An Autobiography has this cathartic post-rock vibe whereas this one is just a fucking choke slam haha. Pleasant surprise nonetheless, can't wait to blast this on my TT.

On 12/6/2016 at 4:33 PM, rogeoa8 said:

I hear it in the screaming on Everything Is In Your Hands. Sounds like old TS screaming.

Finally caved and ordered this along with the demo 12". 

Was going to say I now have their whole discography...but I remembered I sold the "I Love You..." lathe a couple years ago because I was desperate. Oops. Oh well, at least I paid all my bills that month.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

So I got some real listens in and this record is absolutely incredible. I'm pretty much over the screamo period of my life other than a few staples but this record (despite only covering one side of a 12" record) is easily one of my favorites this year. I can't actually believe that I'm considering it one of the best with all these other 60+ minute LPs. The last two minutes of the last song... fuck me.

15 hours ago, Shlebs said:

So I got some real listens in and this record is absolutely incredible. I'm pretty much over the screamo period of my life other than a few staples but this record (despite only covering one side of a 12" record) is easily one of my favorites this year. I can't actually believe that I'm considering it one of the best with all these other 60+ minute LPs. The last two minutes of the last song... fuck me.

Agreed... I actually just voted for this as one of my top 5 of the year in a poll from a day or so ago. Re-iterating what you said, its pretty mind-blowing, given the run time.

I received the red variant today. The first track has noticeable distortion it doesn't skip, but this noise continued throughout the first song and to a lesser extent the second song. I gave it a good cleaning, but still had the same results. I am unsure, it seems that the record has been incorrectly trimmed. I noticed a two-inch section of the outer edge is flatter making the record wobble.