Ian from popmarket here - what do you guys want to see?

Hi all

I'm Ian, from NYC and I run the programming for www.popmarket.com - scheduling Daily Deals, loading the store up with new records daily and am curious what you guys like/dislike about the site if you've ordered from us before? 

We're a small operation - used to be owned by Sony, recently spun off as an independent group of 8 people - and value any & all feedback. So, if you have any artists or specific records you want to see us put on the site, or any general questions/criticisms - would love to answer & chat!

Thanks,

Ian

Fix your order cancelation policy to allow for orders to be canceled even if it's been over 1 hour since placing the order (which is your current time limit) and increase your customer support quality to allow you to respond to order cancellation requests that come in immediately. I've requested to cancel orders within an hour of checking out only to receive a shipping confirmation two days later.

Currently, I'll only shop with you when the price is at least 30-40% cheaper than elsewhere and I make each order with the pre-acceptance that I may receive zero help or response if an order issue arises and I may need to resort to filing a claim.

Other than that, I'm happy with the mailers you use and the shipping speed. I currently have a pre-order of the Out of Time 3xLP reissue with you, waiting to go out in November. I appreciate the gesture of checking in and asking.

7 minutes ago, rds said:

Fix your order cancelation policy to allow for orders to be canceled even if it's been over 1 hour since placing the order (which is your current time limit) and increase your customer support quality to allow you to respond to order cancellation requests that come in immediately. I've requested to cancel orders within an hour of checking out only to receive a shipping confirmation two days later.

Currently, I'll only shop with you when the price is at least 30-40% cheaper than elsewhere and I make each order with the pre-acceptance that I may receive zero help or response if an order issue arises and I may need to resort to filing a claim.

Other than that, I'm happy with the mailers you use and the shipping speed. I currently have a pre-order of the Out of Time 3xLP reissue with you, waiting to go out in November. I appreciate the gesture of checking in and asking.

Or, you could stop ordering records and then an hour later change your mind and cancel.  They would be better off not having to deal with "customers" like yourself who can't commit to something they ordered less than an hour ago.  

The site is great.  Create a feature that stops idiots like the one above from ordering so you can focus on more important things and you'll really have something great on your hands ;)

Edited by BoopsRecords

4 minutes ago, rds said:

Thanks for your response, we hear you! We are currently working on some staffing challenges but have recently added some full time, dedicated customer service reps that will significantly expedite the response time for order inquiries. 

As for the cancellation policy, that goes hand in hand with the customer service staffing, we aim to reply to all inquiries within 24 hours (before an order would ship), so will definitely be able to assist quicker there should you need to cancel. 

Also, just to give some context behind the customer service issues - I am WELL aware of the issues and frankly a little embarrassed by some issues that we've heard from our customers, we really do value you shopping with us and are huge music nerds/fans like you guys as well, so we understand the importance of getting it right and hope you'll bear with us as we go through the growing pains of downsizing from a big corporation to a small, independent company. 

Thanks again, and I'll make sure the Out of Time 3LP gets to you on street date (I pre-ordered one myself, can't wait for that, package looks amazing).

Best

Ian

I just don't know who's buying all those 350 dollar bundles and box sets. Somebody must be since you're still in business, so good on you.

I guess my main comment is that most of the stuff you're selling is recent reissues of 60's and 70's artists that I could hunt for rather than drop a giant expensive douche on. Even when you've had a Shins bundle that I considered, it seemed like I could go to a regular record store that already marks up their records exorbitantly, buy them there and still come out ahead. I'm saying your stuff is expensive and that's why I've never ordered from you.

1 minute ago, BoopsRecords said:

Or you could stop ordering records and then and hour later change your mind and cancel.  They would be better off not having to deal with "customers" like yourself who can't commit to something they ordered less than an hour ago.  

Or they could have somebody who checks the email once in a while. Goes both ways. 

3 minutes ago, BoopsRecords said:

Or you could stop ordering records and then and hour later change your mind and cancel.  They would be better off not having to deal with "customers" like yourself who can't commit to something they ordered less than an hour ago.  

Things happen, we get it... we appreciate all customers & fans just comin to check the site out, we work hard to program the best daily deals at the best prices and I try to keep the offers compelling daily. 

3 minutes ago, axotyl said:

Have placed a few orders...overall good selection, good deals, quick and well packed shipping. The 10-20% coupon codes floating around definitely help to offset having to pay tax (which isn't your fault obviously). Keep the daily deals coming!

Thanks man! Wish we could help the tax issue haha!

3 minutes ago, HoneyFrosted said:

I just don't know who's buying all those 350 dollar bundles and box sets. Somebody must be since you're still in business, so good on you.

I guess my main comment is that most of the stuff you're selling is recent reissues of 60's and 70's artists that I could hunt for rather than drop a giant expensive douche on. Even when you've had a Shins bundle that I considered, it seemed like I could go to a regular record store that already marks up their records exorbitantly, buy them there and still come out ahead. I'm saying your stuff is expensive and that's why I've never ordered from you.

Or they could have somebody who checks the email once in a while. Goes both ways. 

We have a lot of fans that ONLY buy the massive box sets - you'd be surprised how popular they are (I guess that's why the labels keep puttin em out!)

I've been trying to get some more current records up there and we do have a solid collection building - also recently added Era search in the nav bar, so you can filter out from 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's - should help. 

As for the pricing - our Daily Deal prices are normally very competitive and below the retail cost you would find them anywhere else, but we do need to keep competitive pricing so we stay in business!

Thanks for your feedback!

17 minutes ago, BoopsRecords said:

Or, you could stop ordering records and then an hour later change your mind and cancel.  They would be better off not having to deal with "customers" like yourself who can't commit to something they ordered less than an hour ago.  

The site is great.  Create a feature that stops idiots like the one above from ordering so you can focus on more important things and you'll really have something great on your hands ;)

What you're saying is pretty hardcore/punk so I'll give you some props for that but it's not really helpful, relevant, or useful.  Popmarket is downsizing from a corporate-owned company but they aren't downsizing all the way down to one angry dude in a bad place in his life who uses his record business as a means to exert control in a world that feels chaotic, unsafe, and non-respecting of him. Ian can correct me but they have to, at the very least, pretend to want to participate in society in a meaningful way that is mutually beneficial with the people they interact with; and, for better or worse, that means responding to emails and canceling orders on occasion.

Edited by rds

5 minutes ago, rds said:

What you're saying is pretty hardcore/punk so I'll give you some props for that but it's not really helpful, relevant, or useful.  Popmarket is downsizing from a corporate-owned company but they aren't downsizing all the way down to one angry dude in a bad place in his life who uses his record business as a means to exert control in a world that feels chaotic, unsafe, and non-respecting of him. Ian can correct me but they have to, at the very least, pretend to want to participate in society in a meaningful way that is mutually beneficial with the people they interact with; and that includes responding to emails and canceling orders on occasion.

Not going to get involved here, but yes we do have to - and want to - serve our loyal customers, who keep our lights on, as best we can. Which definitely includes being flexible on canceling orders when needed & replying as fast we can. 

4 minutes ago, robes said:

I'd love to see affordable USPS shipping options to Canada. 

We've recently added multiple shipping options to Canada, check it out if you haven't in a few weeks. 

With Daily Deal products - since we offer free shipping in the US, you will only have one option to Canada (and will only be able to add that one Daily Deal product to your cart - don't ask, weird quirk of the webstore, if you add multiple products to your cart on Daily Deal to Canada it won't work - working on a fix for this, but for now best we can do). 

I've had some really incompetent service from Popmarket, where an item in a bundle was missing and I had to email many times to try and get that missing item. Almost a year later I got a whole extra bundle shipped to me, which I didn't complain about! Mostly have had a good experience. Free shipping is a must for all orders, in my opinion. I'm always hoping these overpriced sets end up on your site for cheaper. Keep good deals coming and I will buy it.

I have twice tried to order the first four Ramones records when they were in stock...the most recent time, months later, I got an email saying that my order was cancelled because they were out of stock.

I have had other orders cancelled after the fact for being "out of stock," but that one really bummed me out. It was a pretty solid deal. Kinda soured me on ordering again.

Kudos for listening to feedback and trying to improve, anyway!

I was a regular and bought albums and boxes from Popmarket a couple of years ago when it was free shipping everywhere. But since the free shipping to Europe is no more I haven't bought anything since.

I understand if you can't offer that to Europe anymore of course, but I just thought I'd let you know.

7 hours ago, spectrum said:

I've wanted to order but the whole log in thing was always a barrier for me. Not sure how it is now. But if I could 'check out as guest' and pay via PayPal so my shipping info is automatically loaded I'd buy a ton of stuff. Also maybe offer SMS alerts for when stuff goes on sale?

Hey there, no more gated login! That's long gone. 

Great idea on SMS alerts!

22 minutes ago, Mr Mojo said:

I was a regular and bought albums and boxes from Popmarket a couple of years ago when it was free shipping everywhere. But since the free shipping to Europe is no more I haven't bought anything since.

I understand if you can't offer that to Europe anymore of course, but I just thought I'd let you know.

Hi Mr Mojo,

Unfortunately the global free shipping was just not sustainable and we can no longer offer it, sorry! 

Appaling customer service stopped me using the site. I bought three Tool records using a discount code and factored in the UK import fees based on that code. The records were priced in Pounds.

The customs information had the items priced in Dollars and using the then current exchange rate, they items had been 'valued' at more than the price BEFORE the discount.

The atttitude of customer service was 'we don't care'.

Overvaluing is the quickest way to lose a customer that has to pay import fees. Never used Popmarket again.

I've enjoyed multiple purchases from popmarket; most recently a couple Spoon albums that were on sale. 

Prices: I agree with the above post that I really only gravitate to popmarket when I see pricing 30-40% lower than other sites. 

Selection: I'm enjoy when multiple albums by an artist or even an entire artist catalogue are up for sale on the daily deals. I'm not a huge fan of one off albums or deluxe editions as daily deals.

Customer Service: I haven't had to use it yet, and based on previous posts, I'm a little afraid.

App: Cumbersome at best. I got rid of it a week after downloading and reverted back to your website.

Personal Request: TV on the Radio, Arctic Monkeys, and Wilco would make nice album bundles. And I'd second the above post encouraging more indie labels.

Thanks for reaching out to VC. 

• jhulud locked this topic