PO: AFI - Blood Album (01/20/2017)

11 minutes ago, Shaunismz said:

On first listen I would have agreed with your sediment. I also thought it was meh, but the more I listen the more I enjoy the new record. 

That's what counts.  If you feel it, you feel it.  I'm not here to try to talk anyone into canceling their PO or give up on exploring the album.  I only interact with one person who still listens to AFI – the aforementioned coworker – whereas all of my other friends have basically given up on the band.  His verdict is glowing and contradicts the majority of reviews I've seen, including the opinions in this thread as well.

6 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

If there's anything I've learned from listening to AFI for >15 years, it's that you never have strong expectations going into a new album. Nothing has sounded the same since Sing the Sorrow.

Probably the wisest way to go about it.  Can't fault an artist for wanting to mix things up in some way or another.  I listened to a track or two with an open mind and must admit that I'm not aspiring to revisit it or get any more out of it, but if the fanbase finds it to be a sleeper classic that's ahead of its time or something, that's cool too.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That's what counts.  If you feel it, you feel it.  I'm not here to try to talk anyone into canceling their PO or give up on exploring the album.  I only interact with one person who still listens to AFI – the aforementioned coworker – whereas all of my other friends have basically given up on the band.  His verdict is glowing and contradicts the majority of reviews I've seen, including the opinions in this thread as well.

Probably the wisest way to go about it.  Can't fault an artist for wanting to mix things up in some way or another.  I listened to a track or two with an open mind and must admit that I'm not aspiring to revisit it or get any more out of it, but if the fanbase finds it to be a sleeper classic that's ahead of its time or something, that's cool too.

I'm not crazy about the new stuff but I don't think they can do any worse than Crash Love. That album was pretty bad. I did enjoy most of Decemberunderground, mainly the musicianship. Jade has some awesome parts on that record. Additionally, I enjoyed the shit out of Burials, thought it was a good step back in the right direction. I don't expect the band to go back to the Bay Area Hardcore days. 

As as far as owning this album on vinyl goes, I'll buy it. I'll be forever sad that I can't own StS for a normal price so I'll buy any AFI record I can for ~$20 sealed. 

10 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I'm not crazy about the new stuff but I don't think they can do any worse than Crash Love. That album was pretty bad. I did enjoy most of Decemberunderground, mainly the musicianship. Jade has some awesome parts on that record. Additionally, I enjoyed the shit out of Burials, thought it was a good step back in the right direction. I don't expect the band to go back to the Bay Area Hardcore days. 

As as far as owning this album on vinyl goes, I'll buy it. I'll be forever sad that I can't own StS for a normal price so I'll buy any AFI record I can for ~$20 sealed. 

I actually really "love" Crash Love for lack of a better term. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of albums and the new Blaqk Audio album "Material" was great as well. Jade has some intricate guitar work on Crash Love. I do agree with the user above, in that, the more I listen to this new record it is growing on me. I also have been enjoying the lyric videos they have been putting out. I would probably say I am an AFI fan whose favorite AFI album is Crash Love. I have enjoyed the different narratives and moods from the band on each album. Decemberunderground is a very well done record also with its mood. I have to say though I really don't listen to Sing the Sorrow anymore because it just doesn't interest me like it use to. But I am always going back to Crash Love. 

7 minutes ago, thefavoriteplay said:

I actually really "love" Crash Love for lack of a better term. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of albums and the new Blaqk Audio album "Material" was great as well. Jade has some intricate guitar work on Crash Love. I do agree with the user above, in that, the more I listen to this new record it is growing on me. I also have been enjoying the lyric videos they have been putting out. I would probably say I am an AFI fan whose favorite AFI album is Crash Love. I have enjoyed the different narratives and moods from the band on each album. Decemberunderground is a very well done record also with its mood. I have to say though I really don't listen to Sing the Sorrow anymore because it just doesn't interest me like it use to. But I am always going back to Crash Love. 

Bruh you're a fucking anomaly haha. I can't even name a track off Crash Love. 

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I try to stay out of threads that I don't have anything positive to contribute to, and I also do my best to adhere to that if you don't have anything nice to say... rule.  But that being said, anyone who blindly dropped $100+ on an AFI release in 2017 has got some major balls.  I'm not sure what anyone was expecting.  If you're a hardcore fan of the band and you enjoy this release, that's cool.  I've got a coworker who firmly believes this could be his AOTY and he couldn't be more excited to catch them live this weekend – and I'm happy for him and his excitement, I really am – but the single he linked me to was fucking atrocious in the least surprising way.  To my ears, anyway.  Top post of this page sums it all up nicely.

I know this qualifies as a "cool story" post, but it's just been interesting to see the reception of this record.  I liked  Sing the Sorrow in high school, too, but let's be real.

I've been following this band long enough that the reception really isn't that surprising to me. I feel like AFI has been incredibly polarizing with the last few albums and their attempt to switch it up with each one. I'm a big fan but I'll admit that this album has taken awhile to grow on me. And if it wasn't AFI, then I wouldn't have given it half as much of a chance but I still enjoy it nonetheless. I don't regret my purchase and I'm excited to add it to my collection.

8 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Bruh you're a fucking anomaly haha. I can't even name a track off Crash Love. 

I enjoy Crash Love. I look at as a departure from Sing the Sorrow, but I liked the change. For me the new record has a few songs I can't get into, but I still enjoy the attempt for a different sound.

Yeah, I have zero interest in any new AFI, and I'm a pretty big AFI fan in the sense that I love their early material. The Art of Drowning is one of my favorite albums ever, and at this point I just consider the early AFI as a different band as everything up from Sing the Sorrow. I always try to get excited for new AFI, but I don't think I'll ever buy anything new from them, to those that like it, good on you, hope you enjoy it.

17 hours ago, thefavoriteplay said:

I'm with you on Crash Love. Then again, I seem to like a lot of albums that people say are a bands "worst".

Got my yellow/orange whatever color it is in the mail today, listening to it now.  As has been the case with the last few AFI albums, it's growing on me!  I probably listened to the leak 2-3 times and just wasn't super impressed. But I'm digging it now.  As others have said if you're still listening to AFI you have to expect each album to be different than the last.  And I'm totally fine with that! I enjoy their progression.

If we're picking favorites, I'll take Black Sails any day.  But I'll listen to Crash Love from time to time...

Edited by kyacrash

I actually really like this album, it took me a few listens but it's got some great tracks on it! This album and Burials are a step in the right direction from how disappointing Crash Love was I can't even listen to that album!

if anyone who pre ordered the album and wants to get rid of it I'd be happy to buy or trade with you I missed out on the blood variants not bothered what colour it is 

44 minutes ago, chicomak said:

Hello - besides the 4 exclusive blood color vinyl, that are long sold out...does anyone know if the standard version is black, or another color?  Revhq has this album in their webstore, with a description of 'color vinyl', but I'm not sure if this is a limited or the standard version.

Thanks

The standard variant is red with black marble. There is also an Urban Outfitters exclusive that is clear with red smoke.