PO: The Fold "Dear Future, Come Get Me" /30

mmhmm

I've never seen one of these pre-orders before but it's apparently some sort of special type of pressing...and limited to only 30 copies.  And super expensive at $49.99.

Anyone bought/received a record that went through this process? 

http://watchmakerrecords.storenvy.com/collections/265933-all-products/products/18234896-the-fold-dear-future-come-get-me-vinyl

15 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

Not familiar with lathes.  Are lathes decent quality?  I know I could Google this but wanted some feedback from people who've heard this type of record.  

I'm not familiar with those guys so no clue how they sound. In general lathes don't sound as good as standard vinyl but I've got some that are very acceptable.

12 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I'm not familiar with those guys so no clue how they sound. In general lathes don't sound as good as standard vinyl but I've got some that are very acceptable.

Well shoot.  $50 for a not-so-great sounding vinyl?  Not selling me here...anyone have a good experience with lathes?  "Very acceptable" doesn't sound great.

34 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

Well shoot.  $50 for a not-so-great sounding vinyl?  Not selling me here...anyone have a good experience with lathes?  "Very acceptable" doesn't sound great.

No, lathes are the worst. I have one that sounds okish, but that's rare. It all depends on where they are cut. Most are cut on machines from the early 1900's, on who knows what plastic with a worn out mono head. I'd never pay $50 for one, let alone $10 (usually).

Hi mmhmm,

One Cut Vinyl does some superb work on their lathe cuts. We have used them on three other releases and have been very happy with the quality. Having said this, the records can be a little quiet depending on album length. Otherwise, we have not noticed any quality issues- nor have we had any customer complaints. They stand up to the other records in my collection. Here are some images of an Ocean Is Theory record we did with One Cut Vinyl. I am super happy with how these came out.

Side A

Side B

Back Covers

The price is high because of the amount of labor that goes into each unit. They are cut in real time. That means 40 minutes alone are needed for The Fold vinyl- without even taking into account the labels and jackets. For this specific release, it was either do this kind of pressing or not do one at all. I liked the album too much to not have it see the vinyl treatment.

What else do you want to know?