Comics (possible spoilers)

Alright, some of you might have noticed I'm somewhat new to comics although I've been casually reading a few collections here and there over the past year or so. I've been looking around for X-Men stuff for the past few days and have read quite a lot about comics in general. I thought I would ask your opinion on some solid series I could pick up in hardcover form. I'm currently looking to get the Absolute Sandman collections, as well as a few other of the Absolute series books. I was also reading about the Death of Captain America run. Is that as good as everyone seems to say? I guess this thread could be general discussion about comics as well. I've become rather obsessed over the last couple weeks.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

death of cap is fantastic, but buy the trades from the beginning of the current series, Ed Brubaker's run has been fucking awesome. specially if you're into the spy thriller type stuff.

Absolute Sandman is nice, but they don't have all the trades in absolute form yet? don't deprive yourself of the series, get all the paper trades, but honestly, Sandman isn't something to casually jumpm into, you may want to wait a little while.

I'd recommend:

the Walking Dead

Y: the Last Man

Preacher

Hellboy

BPRD

Batman(anything with Geoff Loeb and Tim Sale are easy)

Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Sword of Azrael

Powers(this gets kinda weird, but it's good)

I've dabbled a little in Hellblazer, but not fully caught on

FABLES. buy the first trade, you probably won't like it, but keep buying them, stick with it because the pay offs down the line are awesssoooooommee.

Planetary. fucking genius.

Ex-Machina

Marvels & Kingdom Come(basically the same story, but one is Marvel, the other is DC...but Alex Ross's art is unreal)

Sandman / Death mini series trades / Lucifer / Books of Magic

I'll think of more, those will get you buried in debt enough.

Also, the HC's are nice, but for the most part they're not worth the extra costs most of the time. They're making them worth it, but in general they're just twice the cost and virtually the same as the paperback versions...but who am I to tell you what to buy, just so you know, bigger is not always better (yes. texas this means you)

hiyo

Everything Justin said is all good. I also agree with what he said about hardcovers.

A few that he didn't mention...

Daredevil - Read everything by Frank Miller. It is available in a HC Omnibus, but that's expensive. You can pick up the Visionaries trades much cheaper.

Swamp Thing - Alan Moore's entire run is amazing. I highly recommend that. Also the Dark Genesis trade by Len Wein & Bernie Wrightson is good. Dark Genesis is Swamp Thing's origin and first 10 issues so you might want to pick that up first. Avoid all other Swamp Thing books.

100 Bullets - An interesting and complex crime noir series. One of my favorite books. You must start at the beginning with this series or you will be completely lost.

Torso - My favorite book by Brian Michael Bendis. It's about Eliot Ness (the guy who busted Al Capone) hunting down a serial killer who chops up the bodies and only leaves the torso.

The Goon - One of the most fun books to read. It is basically a big ugly brute (the Goon) kicking the shit out of zombies and monsters all the time.

Stray Bullets - This is another crime comic, that really shows how bad people can be. This series contains some of the most depressing comics I have ever read. It's so good though.

I could name alot more, but there is already a pretty good list to start with in this thread.

Thanks guys! I already have Watchmen and a bunch of Batman stuff, but plan on picking up all of the Batman collections later down the line. So, the Absolute Sandmans don't have all the issues, or just the 4th one hasn't come out? I was thinking about picking up the Hellboy library bindings, but I don't know much about Hellboy in general. Also, what is Planetary about? I've read that its good, but I have no clue what its about.

Also, what is Planetary about?

Planetary is about three "mystery archaeologists" who go around and investigate the hidden wonders of the world. For example, in one issue they go to Gotham and investigate the legend of Batman. In another issue they discover a WW2 supercomputer that can access other universes. Every issue is self-contained and almost completely different, but it does have some sub-plots that carry over throughout the series. It really is one of the best books out there.

Newsarama is the best general comic book news site in my opinion. I don't like the new layout either though.

If you have a favorite artist or writer, most of them have their own sites and message boards these days. I'm a big fan of Frank Cho so I'm always on his site, Apes and Babes. http://www.apesandbabes.com/

starman is very good. and they are re-releasing the whole series in an omnibus form in a week or two

It's out now actually.

6 volumes and will contain the entire series (unlike the terrible trades).

It's my favorite comic series of all time, but I rarely suggest it to folks that don't seem to have a pretty good grasp on DC history. It's enjoyable regardless of DC knowledge, but it comes to life even more so if you've immersed yourself in the continuity aspects that Robinson worked into the story.

I have a Starman tattoo.

I was just looking at what each Planetary release encapsulates and I realized this:

Absolute Planetary - Issues 1-12

Planetary Vol 1 HC - Issues 1-6

Planetary Vol 2 HC - Issues 7-12

Planetary Vol 3 HC - Issues 13-18

Doesn't Planetary have 26 issues? I could be wrong, but from what I could find, that's what I think.

I was just looking at what each Planetary release encapsulates and I realized this:

Absolute Planetary - Issues 1-12

Planetary Vol 1 HC - Issues 1-6

Planetary Vol 2 HC - Issues 7-12

Planetary Vol 3 HC - Issues 13-18

Doesn't Planetary have 26 issues? I could be wrong, but from what I could find, that's what I think.

Vol. 4 has not come out yet in HC or TPB. I've been waiting for it forever.

There is also a Crossing Worlds TPB that includes when Planetary crosses with Batman, JLA, and The Authority.