PO SOON: Childish Gambino - ...Awaken, My Love!

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Anyone who's contemplating on dropping a smooth $73 on this album – or theoretically more – may want to hop on the fresh leak before deciding if the plunge is worth it.  Or wait to stream it on Friday since I'm sure this won't be selling out before then.  Especially at that price.

It's so good....but.....$80 shipped to NYC after tax :(

25 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You guys actually like this? I'm pretty disappointed, the melodies aren't even good.

After only one listen I think my favs were the two previously posted songs. Most songs won me over by the end if I didn't initially like them though. Not positive it would be something I would go to very often though, unlike basically all of his previous material.

I'm really liking this. Pretty much the same for me.

9 hours ago, dantheriver said:

After only one listen I think my favs were the two previously posted songs. Most songs won me over by the end if I didn't initially like them though. Not positive it would be something I would go to very often though, unlike basically all of his previous material.

3 minutes ago, jrodan said:

this album suuuuuuuucks. I am totally down with artists maturing or changing sound, but most of these songs are bad.  Zombies and California will sound really good when they get the Kidz Bop treatment. they won't even have to re-record them. what a bummer.

thank you.

As I said to a friend yesterday, who is also an avid gambino fan, "if this was anyone else besides gambino, I would have turned it off halfway through".

It's not good, and i'm just not into George Clinton

Edited by Tommy

After those first two singles, hearing the rest of the album was a pretty huge disappointment honestly. It is pretty average (not quite awful but far from great) and there are countess artists out that do it much better but just do not have the name recognition. In a way I am happy because this makes the album extremely easy to pass on now. It's cool to see an artist try different things but I hope his next project is gearing back towards hip hop.

I'm in the minority here in thinking this is a pretty solid album. There are only two songs I actively dislike, Zombies and California. Zombies is a weak track, and I probably would have disliked it just for being called Zombies anyway unless it just really blew me away. California is even weaker though as far as I'm concerned.

Everything else is pretty good, and the two singles are actually really good.

Are there other people out there doing this sound better? Yeah, sure. But that doesn't make this a bad album just because there are people who "this is what they do" and they do it better than Gambino.

I'd generally rather listen to other funk/soul artists than this album, but this is something I'll be listening to for at least the next month or so. At $60 there's no way I'm going to purchase it though.

That said, I'm certainly not a Gambino fanboy. I'd say I actually generally enjoy this album more than "Internet" so far. That may change, but I was never super on the bandwagon for that album.

I do agree with @MCDELTAT that the mixing seems kind of off.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I'm in the minority here in thinking this is a pretty solid album. There are only two songs I actively dislike, Zombies and California. Zombies is a weak track, and I probably would have disliked it just for being called Zombies anyway unless it just really blew me away. California is even weaker though as far as I'm concerned.

Everything else is pretty good, and the two singles are actually really good.

Are there other people out there doing this sound better? Yeah, sure. But that doesn't make this a bad album just because there are people who "this is what they do" and they do it better than Gambino.

I'd generally rather listen to other funk/soul artists than this album, but this is something I'll be listening to for at least the next month or so. At $60 there's no way I'm going to purchase it though.

That said, I'm certainly not a Gambino fanboy. I'd say I actually generally enjoy this album more than "Internet" so far. That may change, but I was never super on the bandwagon for that album.

I do agree with @MCDELTAT that the mixing seems kind of off.

I'm right there with you. Those are the only two tracks I don't care for. I was hoping for a little more raw vocals / signing, but all in all it's really good album. I'm enjoying it more every listen. It's definitely a grower. Boogieman is probably one of my favorites off of it. I can't get enough of it. Considering this is his first album like this, I don't really have too many complaints. I'm really curious as to if he is gonna do another one like this, which I'd be all for, or if he is gonna change it up again. Like you said, there are other funk / soul albums I'd favor over this, Maggotbrain for example, but if I want something new I'd gladly throw this on. I'll be jamming it for a good while. Plus who knows how it will grow over the coming months. Oddly enough I got into this album quicker that I did Internet. It honestly took me about 6 months to really start appreciating that album, if not longer (and that's coming from someone who has Camp as one of their favorite hip hop albums). So I definitely feel you on everything you're saying, John.