PO SOON: Childish Gambino - ...Awaken, My Love!

6 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

That explains the $60 price tag, but I still don't give a fuck about VR.

Just now, Shlebs said:

The fuck kind of virtual reality headset is that cheap? What a weird release.

Google Cardboard.

It'll have a custom print design or some shit.

Yeah, I had told a friend I thought it would be a custom google cardboard headset after everything that was released. Makes the price that much more ridiculous considering I have like 4-5 of them already that I have gotten free one way or another. Then the nicer ones made out of plastic with the head strap and all that regularly go for 10-30 and that isn't even chasing a deal. It is one of those things you use a couple of times and completely forget about it. The hologram could have def. been much better even though price wise it still would have been completely ridiculous.

It is kind of a good thing though because people are going to probably eat that shit up at first and then not too far after when they get bored of it you will see them all over for at least half the price. I will just check out the "exclusive" live performances with one of the headsets I have already.

3 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Yeah so there wasn't really any "vocal pitching" on the album.  It was all basically him singing different ways.

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/news/2016/12/childish-gambino-vocal-pitching?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=oando

Very cool, I was thinking/hoping that was the case as it really didn't sound like it was

On 12/7/2016 at 1:38 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I still don't give a fuck about VR.

I have a Gear VR (which I got for free) and a cheap Cardboard headset. Gear VR probably cost as much as what they're charging for these cardboard ones, and spoilers, they both kinda suck.

VR has a lot of potential, I'd even argue more so in the mobile market because it's not very expensive. The problem is that it's a pain in the ass to use. Samsung's VR hub is the best one I've used and it's still pretty crappy. Apps will work correctly 2/10 times, other times they'll freeze your device or dip so bad in framerate you'll get nauseous. I imagine this Childish Gambino app cooks into the Google Cardboard hub, which stinks more than Samsung one.

Tl;dr

This is something you'll probably use one time and then never touch again. I imagine they'll seperate the bundle at some point because of weak sales.

• 1 month later...

SRC has this listed with a release date of April 28th, but the official Webstore hasn't updated and it's not on Amazon or Bull Moose yet. However it's still $60 there (cut to $50 right now) but doesn't mention anything about the virtual reality stuff. Still hoping as more info comes out there will be a much cheaper option without the VR stuff. This album really grew on me and I'd love to own it, but not for that price.

1 hour ago, RhoBearToe said:

SRC has this listed with a release date of April 28th, but the official Webstore hasn't updated and it's not on Amazon or Bull Moose yet. However it's still $60 there (cut to $50 right now) but doesn't mention anything about the virtual reality stuff. Still hoping as more info comes out there will be a much cheaper option without the VR stuff. This album really grew on me and I'd love to own it, but not for that price.

Yep, first thing I did after seeing the SRC email was check Bullmoose and then Amazon.  Gonna hold out hope for them.

The pricetag is dumb you could buy like 3-4 Parliament albums for that price, and have the very sound he is emulating. Not trying to be a total hater, this album is decent but it's just sounds like he just tried to copy that sound. Also no Parliament album will have a song as annoying as that "she wants to go to California" song or whatever he says

8 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

The pricetag is dumb you could buy like 3-4 Parliament albums for that price, and have the very sound he is emulating. Not trying to be a total hater, this album is decent but it's just sounds like he just tried to copy that sound. Also no Parliament album will have a song as annoying as that "she wants to go to California" song or whatever he says

agree 100%, I find it funny that he has talked about how it is about the music and not the money yet he has some of the most expensive albums available. I do think it is cool he is experimenting and the album has grown on me a bit but like you said it still feels like an amateur version of others in the genre which would be much more forgiving if he was not trying to charge $60 for an extremely mediocre "package". I personally have gotten like 3-4 of those goggles for free over the years and you can buy them dirt cheap. Nothing against him as a person because I think donald is pulling off that rare tupac talent where he can write, act, direct, make music etc. all at an elite level but that price tag is nothing but laughable to me.

15 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

That's one song on the album that I just cannot stand!

15 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

she musta fuckin lost er moind

Up at Bull Moose for those who prefer to buy it there:

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24761990/childish-gambino-awaken-my-love-2xblack-lp-with-gitd-cover-vr-headset-digital-download

Love the hell out of Gambino, liked this album okay, and kind of struggling to justify 60 bones. Might wait a bit and see if this hangs around like Because the Internet did.