What.cd has shut down.

highfives

On 12/4/2016 at 4:41 PM, daegor said:

Don't know anything about the other two, but apollo (fka xanax) is a what.cd clone, so that's cool

I think most new sites will be.  What.cd's framework (called Gazelle) is available publicly.  Pretty awesome too, that was what's best feature (besides the content of course).

https://whatcd.github.io/Gazelle/

• 2 weeks later...

Spotify is fantastic. 

I grabbed an introductory rate of 3 months for 99 cents total. Loved it and bought a family plan. 6 accounts for $14.99 per month. Got one for me, one for my wife, and "sold" the other 4 to siblings for $25 a year. 

I can have about 70 albums stored on my phone at a time. I download everything on wifi and can listen anywhere without using data. 

Edited by Tidal Wave

Spotify is indeed the shit for music on the fly, and it features a really good chunk of my library's contents.  I've had it for about half a year now and am very happy with it.

But since this is a piracy thread, I have to say I'm really pleased with Apollo so far.  I plan on getting a proper DAC / amp to power some big-boy headphones, pretty soon, so I've been converting my library into FLAC for the last week or so.  Feels good.

On 12/22/2016 at 10:14 AM, Derek™ said:

But since this is a piracy thread, I have to say I'm really pleased with Apollo so far.  I plan on getting a proper DAC / amp to power some big-boy headphones, pretty soon, so I've been converting my library into FLAC for the last week or so.  Feels good.

I picked up a real nice DAC / tube headphone amp for my work computer right before what.cd went down.  One of the best purchases I've made considering I spend 32-40 hours a week sitting at that desk.  Been grabbing almost all FLAC since :)

Edited by jonrawks

On 12/22/2016 at 1:14 PM, Derek™ said:

Spotify is indeed the shit for music on the fly, and it features a really good chunk of my library's contents.  I've had it for about half a year now and am very happy with it.

20 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I picked up a real nice DAC / tube headphone amp for my work computer right before what.cd went down.  One of the best purchases I've made considering I spend 32-40 hours a week sitting at that desk.  Been grabbing almost all FLAC since :)

Welcome to the FLAC side.

9 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Welcome to the FLAC side.

You know what they say: once you go FLAC, you can no longer listen to 320 on a legitimate setup and stop yourself from wondering how much better it could potentially sound.

2 hours ago, HybridxReality said:

Not sure why I didn't imagine these kinds of websites existing out there. Would normally just stick to TPB and KAT myself, but those always feel so sketch to me now.

TPB is a shitshow and always has been.  Decent for new leaks but terrible as far as organization and reliability are concerned.  I haven't used it in years, and the fact that it's constantly under the crosshairs of anti-piracy organizations certainly gives me no incentive to try it again.

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

One you go FLAC, you never get your disk space back :(

The only reason I considered FLAC is because I've got a fair bit of external space to burn.  It's working out great for the time being, but I think I'll be migrating my library onto an external SSD once I grab one down the road.  I like the idea of having snappy access to everything I'd listen to.

But yeah, there's no way I'd load FLAC on top of my normal music library on my main HD, personally.