What.cd has shut down.

highfives

37 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The only reason I considered FLAC is because I've got a fair bit of external space to burn.  It's working out great for the time being, but I think I'll be migrating my library onto an external SSD once I grab one down the road.  I like the idea of having snappy access to everything I'd listen to.

But yeah, there's no way I'd load FLAC on top of my normal music library on my main HD, personally.

About a year ago, I built a storage server with 11TB usable space.   Keep all my media on there and have my other computers stream from there.   On top of that, I rsync my music to a 2TB external attached to my work desktop.  Gives me local music at the places I'll be the most and it also works as a nice offsite backup.  I still have about 750GB left on that external, but I know I'll outgrow it if I do end up replacing a lot of my V0/320 rips with FLAC.  Other issue I run into is that my home upstream is complete shit, so sometimes it takes a while to get things sync'd to work.  I do remove the mp3s once I have FLAC which helps a bit, can always convert to mp3 later on if needed.  Pretty sure I won't outgrow my home storage anytime soon :)

2 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

At least storage is crazy cheap these days.

For sure.  My main desktop hard drive has started making some real loud clicks and I can't imagine it's lifespan is much longer.  Going to dd it onto an SSD and I can get a fair sized one for under $100.  So nice!

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

About a year ago, I built a storage server with 11TB usable space.   Keep all my media on there and have my other computers stream from there.   On top of that, I rsync my music to a 2TB external attached to my work desktop.  Gives me local music at the places I'll be the most and it also works as a nice offsite backup.  I still have about 750GB left on that external, but I know I'll outgrow it if I do end up replacing a lot of my V0/320 rips with FLAC.  Other issue I run into is that my home upstream is complete shit, so sometimes it takes a while to get things sync'd to work.  I do remove the mp3s once I have FLAC which helps a bit, can always convert to mp3 later on if needed.  Pretty sure I won't outgrow my home storage anytime soon :)

Nice, that sounds like a solid setup.  What kind of effort is required to set up a server?  I have about 10 TB of storage but it's spread across 3 or 4 devices.

52 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

FLAC is the same as 320 to me, can't hear the difference no matter how hard I try

What sort of headphones or speakers are you playing your files on?  And are you using a DAC or amp?  That's where FLAC shines.  But even without one and on average speakers, I can hear a bit of a difference between the two.  Especially on anything with vocals.

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Nice, that sounds like a solid setup.  What kind of effort is required to set up a server?  I have about 10 TB of storage but it's spread across 3 or 4 devices.

What sort of headphones or speakers are you playing your files on?  And are you using a DAC or amp?  That's where FLAC shines.  But even without one and on average speakers, I can hear a bit of a difference between the two.  Especially on anything with vocals.

DT-990 Pro-250 headphones but mostly for turntable use; digital listening is either those plugged into my laptop or shitty earbuds in my phone for on-the-go. I've only ever attempted to hear the difference with these on my computer and I just didn't pick up on it. Not like that's really a problem to me, though; it indirectly saves me quite a bit of hard drive space.

7 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

DT-990 Pro-250 headphones but mostly for turntable use; digital listening is either those plugged into my laptop or shitty earbuds in my phone for on-the-go. I've only ever attempted to hear the difference with these on my computer and I just didn't pick up on it. Not like that's really a problem to me, though; it indirectly saves me quite a bit of hard drive space.

Those Beyers are pretty respectable, but there's no way you'd get clarity, detail, or soundstage out of your FLAC with a direct connection to a laptop.  On top of lacking a proper DAC, there's just way too much internal noise on a laptop to let FLAC shine.  Obviously you should keep doing what you're doing if it works for you, but I wholeheartedly believe you'd hear the difference of 320 vs. FLAC - especially on your 990s - with a little extra hardware.  Just sayin'.

39 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Those Beyers are pretty respectable, but there's no way you'd get clarity, detail, or soundstage out of your FLAC with a direct connection to a laptop.  On top of lacking a proper DAC, there's just way too much internal noise on a laptop to let FLAC shine.  Obviously you should keep doing what you're doing if it works for you, but I wholeheartedly believe you'd hear the difference of 320 vs. FLAC - especially on your 990s - with a little extra hardware.  Just sayin'.

Wouldn't doubt it, but it's not a priority at the moment. In the coming months as I prepare for college life (likely without a turntable until I can live off-campus) it may be back on my radar.

4 hours ago, jonrawks said:

For sure.  My main desktop hard drive has started making some real loud clicks and I can't imagine it's lifespan is much longer.  Going to dd it onto an SSD and I can get a fair sized one for under $100.  So nice!

That's the worst noise to hear. I finally got around to doing redundant back-ups after my external took a shit on me last year.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

It's not too bad, depending on what kinda of server you want to set-up. Setting up a NAS is a lot easier.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Not a whole lot of setup really.  Pretty much just building a computer with more drives and a RAID card.  I'm a Linux guy, so mine is running a simple Linux server.  Probably wouldn't be hard to do with Windows as well, but I'm not 100% sure.  Don't know if it would be possible with OSX, but my Linux server does play pretty nicely with my Macbook.  The cost wasn't terrible either.  The main expense was the four 4TB hard drives.

4 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

It's not too bad, depending on what kinda of server you want to set-up. Setting up a NAS is a lot easier.

Definitely.  I think you can even buy a RAID1 NAS that hooks into you router for a real good price.  If you just want 'dumb' network attached storage, this would be the easier way to go.  I wanted my server to handle all my storage system and what not too, so doing a full blown computer made more sense for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh! I cant take it. Not having What.cd is really bugging me. I keep trying to find torrents on other sites but the selection sucks and I cant find what I'm looking for. Where else can I get music now that What.cd is gone? I dont have a waffles account, but I think I read that waffles is gone too. I miss Demonoid too.

Edited by andrewlucas

24 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

Ahhh! I cant take it. Not having What.cd is really bugging me. I keep trying to find torrents on other sites but the selection sucks and I cant find what I'm looking for. Where else can I get music now that What.cd is gone? I dont have a waffles account, but I think I read that waffles is gone too. I miss Demonoid too.

Google usually does it for me.  RUtracker is a great resource as well.

Got an email from a guy I buy tracker invites from that told me people are moving to something called apollo.rip. Offered me an invite for $35, I turned it down.

I only ever used Waffles  or What  to hunt down old albums I couldn't find for sale digitally or on CD anywhere, or for b-side/demo tracks. I'll be fine with just vinyl/Google Play Music for the time being.

38 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Got an email from a guy I buy tracker invites from that told me people are moving to something called apollo.rip. Offered me an invite for $35, I turned it down.

I only ever used Waffles  or What  to hunt down old albums I couldn't find for sale digitally or on CD anywhere, or for b-side/demo tracks. I'll be fine with just vinyl/Google Play Music for the time being.

Apollo is the shit.  I used What for the same reasons you did, since it's extremely easy to "keep up" with new releases via Google.  But so far I've been extremely happy with Apollo's selection and the amount of Free Leech / tokens they've given to the community.

On 1/14/2017 at 3:21 PM, Shitty Rambo said:

Yo, fuck this guy. Hope he gets banned from everywhere and has to search "BAND ALBUM ZIP" for stuff like a rube.

Also, Apollo had completely open signups for like 2 whole days shortly after What's demise, and they have been pretty generous with invites. Plus there are interview opportunities via IRC, as mentioned earlier. It should be mad easy to get in. 

Apollo is decent enough, but there seems to be a dearth of experienced moderators/editors/curators to keep things in order.  A good fallback tracker to take up Waffles' mantle, since Waffles itself seems down for the count at this point.

Edited by AlexH.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get on that list of people seeking an invite for apollo.rip?  Would throw in a 7" or t-shirt from the distro in exchange for being awesome and hooking me up with an invite! ;)

Didn't care too much a few months ago because my iPod shit out. But just bought a 256 gb iPhone so I'm trying to get some new jams again. 

Hopefully my incessant whining earlier has held my place in line for those systematically helping people out, but if not, please consider sending me an invite down the line. I'll do my best to make it up to you. I continue to buy and rip CD's that seem rare and hopefully some day will start ripping some of my rarer vinyl to post once I get back in.