Music Hall MMF 2.2 running fast at 40,5 RPM

Hi! 

I brought my EU standard turntable (Music Hall MMF 2.2, 220V) with me to the US. Bought a compatible 110V plug on needledoctor. It's working, but records are running fast (40.5 RPM - measured with the app). What that could possibly be? Any ideas? Could possibly something bad happened during transportation? 

Edited by marysam

The original power supply is for 220 volt - 50Hz.

Your new power supply is for 110 volt - 60Hz.

Does the music hall have an internal setting for 60hz? Some turntables do but they are usually INSIDE the deck....

if it doesnt ...you need a frequency inverter which the cheapest one i have found is about $3000 ... a transformer wont work unfortunately 

Edited by AGB

1 hour ago, marysam said:

@AGB exactly, a compatible US plug has 60HZ, the original EU one has 50HZ. 

I wish I knew that before carrying the turntable across the ocean! I was pretty sure a transformer is all I need. 

not correct... the plug is only a compatible way to connect power... the motor(during manufacturing) was created to work correctly at 50HZ .. regardless of what power plug you connect, the motor will only run correctly at 50HZ ... plugging into the wall in america 60HZ will mean the motor will run 20% faster... 

Edited by AGB

1 hour ago, marysam said:

@AGB exactly, a compatible US plug has 60HZ, the original EU one has 50HZ. 

I wish I knew that before carrying the turntable across the ocean! I was pretty sure a transformer is all I need. 

A plug converter that physically changes the socket is different from a converter which actually changes the power output to the device 

6 hours ago, marysam said:

I deeper research and I've found out that Amazon sells a new pulley that may help. I'm trying to figure out if it's for the US market or for EU market. 

This

It depends on whether it's an AC or DC motor and whether it has any form of electronic speed control on it, yours from memory is directly AC powered with no electronic speed control

If the speed is not electronically controlled then you need a different pulley as the mains frequency is different in the US (60Hz) to Europe (50Hz)

To explain why this is, with a turntable that has an AC motor it's the frequency that dictates the speed not the voltage so a table which uses electronic speed control changes the frequency to the motor to change the speed and if you move it between Europe or the US you just use a transformer to change the voltage (for the electronics) and adjust the speed to suit but with most AC motor tables they are directly AC powered so the speed is directly determined by the mains frequency which is not adjustable.

With a DC motor the frequency doesn't exist and with a normal low voltage DC motor variable speed system there is basically a variable power supply in line that varies the voltage to the motor which then varies it's speed so provided there is enough adjustment range it's fine 

The other thing to consider is that a table with a motor designed to run on 50hz mains that isn't electronically speed controlled when used on 60Hz mains will will have a shorter motor lifespan, not something to panic about hugely but something to consider with a vintage table (i.e 60's or 70's) that has had a lot of use at 50Hz

• 2 weeks later...