PO: Acceptance - Colliding By Design (2/24/17)

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, drummerboy032 said:

looks like the  Oxblood in Cokebottle Green Vinyl LP /600 variant is sold out.  only bundle variant left.  I'd bite on the bundle but shipping is expensive :/

Merchnow will sometimes break up the bundles and sell things individually after awhile. If they do it with this, I will pick up a copy for sure. Acceptance is great. 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

Holy crap. First listen of this was terrible. I don't even think it will have a chance to grow on me. 

Agreed, the album as a whole is pretty weak. Haunted I feel like is the best song on the album, it feels very cheap and 80's , I'll give it a few more listens but I've listened through 4 times now and nothing is really sticking. 

1 hour ago, thomasj182 said:

Agreed, the album as a whole is pretty weak. Haunted I feel like is the best song on the album, it feels very cheap and 80's , I'll give it a few more listens but I've listened through 4 times now and nothing is really sticking. 

I know that Christian said there's some Anberlin influence on the album in terms of 80's vibe.  That might turn some people away but I like it - definitely hear the similarity to some later Anberlin stuff

EDIT: listening to the title track literally sounds like it came off an album from The Cure - to me that's a great thing lol 

Edited by FlippingOut

I love the album. I definitely hear an 80s influence, which I personally love, and some carry-over from latter day Anberlin.  I guess for me, this is how I would imagine Acceptance sounding twelve years later. They still have that moody, emotional sound and great hooks. I think it's a great pop/rock album. It may not be anything really ground-breaking, but I've never thought of Acceptance in that way. 

10 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

I know that Christian said there's some Anberlin influence on the album in terms of 80's vibe.  That might turn some people away but I like it - definitely hear the similarity to some later Anberlin stuff

EDIT: listening to the title track literally sounds like it came off an album from The Cure - to me that's a great thing lol 

I definitely agree with the later Anberlin and even the Cure influence but I don't think it's a terrible departure from what the band crafted 12 years ago. While there is a heavy presence of synth/keyboard and a lack of the guitar style that made Phantoms it's own beast, I find this album has shown how the band has matured since their hiatus and re-developed their sound. Jason still sounds incredible and a little more polished which I don't think is a bad thing.

If you were expecting Phantoms 2.0 you will be disappointed. This album will be a grower for some but for the most part, I haven't found anything I don't like except I wish there were more tracks like "Fire and Rain" and "Come Closer" to an extent. 

23 hours ago, mmhmm said:

First listen through was unmemorable. Gotta write great hooks these days if it's gonna stick.  Perhaps future listens will prove me wrong though.

hmm. the opposite for me.  lot's of standout tracks.. reminds me of later Anberlin releases.  This lived up to my expectations for a follow up to phantoms.

also saw them in SF last night and the show was great!

Saw this thread and immediately went to order the album on merchnow. God, I remember Acceptance back in the Black Lines era. Really dug Phantoms, even though it did get Sprinkled as mentioned earlier. Just gave Dream In Color a listen on YT and can't wait to hear the rest...even though I'm forcing myself to.

I guess Aaron Sprinkle is one of those love/hate kinda producers. He definitely puts his thumbprint on anything he does, but I thought Poor Old Lu was a badass band, so I suppose I'm biased.

Now if Starflyer59 starts repressing their older material, I will weep tears of joy (and my wallet will weep its own set of tears).

• 3 weeks later...