CONVERGE - Jane Live 2xLP (5 different artist covers) PO Now!

fizio59

I honestly do like black records. They've got that classic vinyl ~aesthetic~ going for them. I'm never bummed if I can only get a record on black. Colored vinyl is fun though and the only color I actually dislike is white.

Which is funny because my copy of Jane Doe is white. I missed out on all the cool color represses because I just couldn't justify buying another copy whenever they'd go up. I'm stoked my copy of Jane Live will be clear. I'll buy another copy of Jane proper at some point. Hell, might even grab a black.

Also, I'm a bad person and my Jane Doe jacket is framed (not even hanging right now...or maybe ever again...wall space is limited and we buy too much art) and the records themselves are being stored in a Roy Orbison - Greatest Hits jacket I found empty at my dad's.

18 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

lol, no.  You need a bigger sample size, and your analogy is dumb.

This doesn't need retreading here, but there are loads of reasons why people what black records, and yes, sound quality is one of them. Will all black copies sound better than color copies? No. But there is a greater chance of issues with splatters and other crazy color combos. On top of that, did you ever think that some people may think the splatters and tri-split records just look dumb? 

I have some black records that sound like shit, and some swirls that sound great. I'm going for black almost every time though.

This is a pretty good assessment of how I feel as well. I'll add that at some point for me, over the top color combinations just started to look and feel like child's play. There are definitely some non-black color combinations that I have thought were appealing for the same reason I find lava lamps appealing and there's nothing wrong with that. But by and large, I like to keep my record collection as black as possible because most of the records I'd ever seen growing up were black and having new music on that nostalgic format that matches in color to what I remember is just an aesthetic that I enjoy profoundly. In fact I don't think my parents had a single non-black colored LP or 7" in the house at all. It makes the music feel more canonized by being on black vinyl. I felt like I was losing the aesthetic enjoyment of the format the more color vinyl I was accumulating. In my mind, they just didn't really look like records anymore. So mostly its nostalgia and personal biases for me. I don't believe whole-heartedly that a black record is always guaranteed to sound better than its colored brethren of the same album and press. I do believe that in some cases by being solid black with no splatter, speckles or whatever the fuck else, it can remove variables that can be factors in a record sounding bad or having some issues.

21 hours ago, ethereal said:

I really don't understand the appeal of wanting a "normal black variant" besides being the people who wanna save $2 and think "black will always sound best"

.. its the equivalent of being the one dude at the party demanding country music be played when the music is already good and everyone is enjoying themselves...

i have 300+ records, most of which are all types of colors, wanna know the color that sounds the worst? BLACK

I generally dislike Country music. I concede there are Country artists from another era that have a better sound and more integrity than most of the popular shit you hear today but overall its just not my style. I know that wasn't your point but I kind of resent that you made an analogy comparing black vinyl (something  I like a lot) to Country (something I dislike a lot). Not that I'm mad or anything. Just disturbed.

15 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

This is a pretty good assessment of how I feel as well. I'll add that at some point for me, over the top color combinations just started to look and feel like child's play. There are definitely some non-black color combinations that I have thought were appealing for the same reason I find lava lamps appealing and there's nothing wrong with that. But by and large, I like to keep my record collection as black as possible because most of the records I'd ever seen growing up were black and having new music on that nostalgic format that matches in color to what I remember is just an aesthetic that I enjoy profoundly. In fact I don't think my parents had a single non-black colored LP or 7" in the house at all. It makes the music feel more canonized by being on black vinyl. I felt like I was losing the aesthetic enjoyment of the format the more color vinyl I was accumulating. In my mind, they just didn't really look like records anymore. So mostly its nostalgia and personal biases for me. I don't believe whole-heartedly that a black record is always guaranteed to sound better than its colored brethren of the same album and press. I do believe that in some cases by being solid black with no splatter, speckles or whatever the fuck else, it can remove variables that can be factors in a record sounding bad or having some issues.

I generally dislike Country music. I concede there are Country artists from another era that have a better sound and more integrity than most of the popular shit you hear today but overall its just not my style. I know that wasn't your point but I kind of resent that you made an analogy comparing black vinyl (something  I like a lot) to Country (something I dislike a lot). Not that I'm mad or anything. Just disturbed.

Why don't you start your own thread about why black vinyl is the best, so we don't have to keep reading about it in other threads? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, it's just a fucking old argument and I'd rather be reading about Converge in the Converge thread. You love black vinyl, we get it.

2 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Why don't you start your own thread about why black vinyl is the best, so we don't have to keep reading about it in other threads? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, it's just a fucking old argument and I'd rather be reading about Converge in the Converge thread. You love black vinyl, we get it.

You're the one who started the argument though... If you hadn't butted in, we could have just had one post about his preference for black vinyl, and that would have been the end of it.

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Somebody asked. I answered. If you don't like posts about why I like black vinyl, know how to ascertain that that will be what the post is about and skip it. I don't see what the problem is. I asked the vocalist of the band for which this thread was started if this release will ever come in black and someone asked "why black vinyl?" Just don't read what you don't want to read. Its pretty simple.

1 hour ago, elnombre91 said:

You're the one who started the argument though... If you hadn't butted in, we could have just had one post about his preference for black vinyl, and that would have been the end of it.

Really? Okay. Not sure where I did that, but I will take full responsibility for this nonsense. Can we talk about Converge now?

44 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Somebody asked. I answered. If you don't like posts about why I like black vinyl, know how to ascertain that that will be what the post is about and skip it. I don't see what the problem is. I asked the vocalist of the band for which this thread was started if this release will ever come in black and someone asked "why black vinyl?" Just don't read what you don't want to read. Its pretty simple.

Yeah, that's how it always starts, though I'm sure you know that.  I see the thread bumped and I think I'm going to read something about that thread and it's another black vs variant debate. Carry on...

42 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Really? Okay. Not sure where I did that, but I will take full responsibility for this nonsense. Can we talk about Converge now?

Yeah, that's how it always starts, though I'm sure you know that.  I see the thread bumped and I think I'm going to read something about that thread and it's another black vs variant debate. Carry on...

Its not a debate. It was a question. I'm not debating with anyone (other than you) what my preference is.

So before this discussion of black vs. colored vinyl came up, all the other posts in this thread were specifically about Converge? You mean, they weren't about the 5 or so cover variants and which ones were available still and how many copies of each existed? That sounds more like a variant discussion than specifically "Converge." Its weird that people can discuss so many other aspects about vinyl and leave half-thought, misspelled one line posts about the variant quantity all over threads but your big problem is that me and a few other posters are thoughtfully discussing the merits or lack thereof of a certain kind of vinyl. What more do you think is going to be revealed in this thread about Converge as a whole or this release specifically that you are going to get upset to see that when you get a notification about this thread it happens to be about a topic that is not quite to your liking. There are many off-topic posts but the ones I'm involved in piss you off because they are about something that I happen to talk about a lot. I talk about it a lot because I'm asked about it a lot and some other posters agree with me and so we might form some kinship but even in the face of that potentially positive interaction you want the discussion to cease because it doesn't suit your need for some magical, enlightening bit of information that may come from you being notified about new activity in this thread.

Sir, I am very sorry.

EDIT: I've come up with a signature solution that should suit you.

Edited by mcpherson123

14 minutes ago, jaedong said:

Wow, none of the prints have sold out, I don't follow that world anymore but it seems like that market has really slowed down of late. I remember when People were paying crazy secondary prices for Bannon stuff. 

But Jake didn't design any of the Jane Live covers / prints...

17 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

But Jake didn't design any of the Jane Live covers / prints...

Very true,  but Baizley and Bertmer are also really big names. I love Florian's stuff.

Not trying to suggest anything by it anyway though. I only said Jake's name because I remember Jane Doe and Unloved selling for like $500+ (I bet those ones still get up there).

The prints are beautiful and I bought one of the Baizley ones. I just haven't been keeping on the print game in the last couple years and it's weird to see all those prints (as well as some of Jake's other prints) hang around. I hope he keeps making them and they are awesome as always, certainly not a negative reflection on his work, I just remember when prints were exploding almost at the rate of vinyl and it's interesting to see that it has fallen off some. To not see even one of them sold out while the vinyl vanished is surprising, although I'm sure many people (like me) ran out of wall/storage space. Glad Jake and everyone is still making them, I still remember seeing Poseidon/Hephaestus and being blown away.

Edited by jaedong

I thought, at one point, the Baizley print was sold out. I was thinking about buying it until I remembered I have a print by him, and many others, that still sit unframed in tubes. I have too many windows in my house, which leaves me with very little wall space.  It is still tempting...

5 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I thought, at one point, the Baizley print was sold out. I was thinking about buying it until I remembered I have a print by him, and many others, that still sit unframed in tubes. I have too many windows in my house, which leaves me with very little wall space.  It is still tempting...

I would definitely have bought a print but (aside from the cost and me being broke due to tattoo saving) I also have a few prints that I haven't framed yet, plus I rent one room in a flat with two picture hooks on the walls (one is occupied by a small Baizley print, the other some shitty canvas my landlord bought).

Edit: It's a Bertmer print I have framed, I do have a small Baizley one that came in the set though (Nakatomi skulls print set).

Edited by elnombre91

Prints are dwindling down in terms of inventory. 

As to markets, it's the same w/ anything. There is always an ebb and flow to the collector's have/want/need for something.

As record collectors, you should all know that very well. Thanks for the support.

• 3 weeks later...