CONVERGE - Jane Live 2xLP (5 different artist covers) PO Now!

fizio59

4 hours ago, fugazi said:

Isn't this whole discussion at the end of the day completely irrelevant because it's people's own money and no one forces anyone to buy anything? Fuck's sake..

Absolutely correct statement.

Furthermore, a legendary band (known for artistic expression, creativity, and collaboration) decides to create... get this... MORE ART for their fans to enjoy. This art was done by other legendary artists like Florian Bertmer and John Baizley. I have been losing my damn mind over those two's creations for well over a decade. With this Jane Live project, people are purchasing art. They are not only supporting a band of four people, they are supporting hardworking artists that make their living based on what they create. I couldn't have ever concocted an idea this cool.

With that said, I bought the Florian and Ashley Rose Couture editions. I am not a "completist," or "variant villian"  but I am a man with large amounts of debt. 5 covers doesn't fit into my budget, but if it did, you'd damn well know I would have all 5 covers because I know where my money is going.

Can we end this discussion now, please?

On 1/18/2017 at 9:10 AM, Vucko said:

...um, ok. Let's play a gig. Hype it, record it, and then let's press it on vinyl and release it with 5 different covers so every variant looks like a different album.  This way our most faithful fans will be so confused about which variant to buy and most likely end up buying all variants and pay us 100$ for one record(ing). And the best part is that we will sell out even faster! What you guys think? Yeah, great idea! Service the account, George Carlin style.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blood Moon project gets a similar treatment.

Very mixed feelings here from a long time fan. I think I'm gonna quit supporting Converge...

"Thanks."

Thanks for your input, however your generalizations on motive are incorrect. As a band we decided to make limited covers ALONG w/ different vinyl colors of a release. It was really that simple of a concept. Typically we release anywhere from 3-5 different colors of a record just to do it (always have), with the same cover usually. This was just an alternative way to approach that idea. Ironically, doing so was very expensive (commissioning art from folks and doing small runs of 500 of each double LP with this limited packaging). It actually cost us MUCH more to do this than a traditional record to manufacture.  All of us (including myself) collect records and cherish variants for the same reason bands make music, for the love of it. If maximum profit was the goal, then we are in the wrong game entirely. Thanks again.

-J.

I'm going to chime in here and say that bands can make multiple variants of LP's. Its coming from the artists and they want a certain presentation for the release and that's up to them. If someone who is a fan of that band and wants to play the music on that record, they buy a copy of the record. If they buy more than one they might be someone who appreciates the variety. If they feel coerced by a band to buy more than one copy or "every variant" of a release simply because those variants EXIST, you may have some serious personal problems you need to work through regarding your sense of consumerism and financial proficiency.

The vinyl culture is driven pretty heavily by nuts who need the rarest variant or every variant. This behavior and mindset is on display all over the internet. Some people are learning this behavior from others. Its not the artists fault. Exercise self control.

Personally I like to own one copy of something that I want to own, and usually the rarest as I'm also a collector.
I do have friends who are completists though for sure and get one of everything if possible of artists they enjoy.
To each their own, thanks people.

34 minutes ago, jbannon said:

Personally I like to own one copy of something that I want to own, and usually the rarest as I'm also a collector.
I do have friends who are completists though for sure and get one of everything if possible of artists they enjoy.

I would guess your Converge collection would be pretty darn sweet! :P

47 minutes ago, jbannon said:

Then you, sir, are only one type of nut.

I'm the nut who wants usually only one copy of a title and I desperately want it to be black, preferably less than 180 grams. If a title is likely to go out of print and it means a lot to me, I sometimes acquire a backup copy in case my play copy gets damaged through regular use.  I have an extra copy of the Sleep's Holy Mountain repress from Earache last year that I use to DJ and I keep another at home. ...I also have an original 1992 press.. black.... I'm also kind of sick about getting original presses of certain titles.

We're all a little sick.

34 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'm the nut who wants usually only one copy of a title and I desperately want it to be black

I am this species of nut.

But I love how Converge/DW handled this release.  (Thanks, dudes!) I can't wait to hold that Baizley cover while this record blasts at 11 on my system.

2 hours ago, jbannon said:

twinsies.

As a massive converge fanboy who has spent over £500 on converge related tattoos (#humblebrag) I'm just really fucking stoked to pour over the packaging like I used to with CDs back in the day whilst enjoying the sweet sounds of one of the greatest albums of all time (imo) being performed live in its entirety.

Regardless of your stance on variants and collecting them, as a community of vinyl nerds I think we should all be able to find common ground there.

Apologies if that sounds ridiculous, I'm running on an adrenaline high after seeing TDEP.

Edited by elnombre91

4 hours ago, elnombre91 said:

As a massive converge fanboy who has spent over £500 on converge related tattoos (#humblebrag) I'm just really fucking stoked to pour over the packaging like I used to with CDs back in the day whilst enjoying the sweet sounds of one of the greatest albums of all time (imo) being performed live in its entirety.

Regardless of your stance on variants and collecting them, as a community of vinyl nerds I think we should all be able to find common ground there.

Apologies if that sounds ridiculous, I'm running on an adrenaline high after seeing TDEP.

How was DEP? Saw them in Philly both times they came through in the fall and they were awesome.