ISIS - Wavering Radiant 2x12” Now Available For Pre-Order! (And Everything Else Discussion)

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, McPherson's posts are definitely on point and articulate; I get that it's all exaggeration and hyperbole, like I said.  I've just never seen the "real" counterparts of what he's ridiculing.  Like yesterday in that ATDI thread; there was an hour of confusion where it looked like Rise had replenished the "limited to 500" variant, and then removed the rarity from the description.  Under the illusion that the /500 wasn't out of 500 at all, a few people commented something akin to "lol, Rise records... how typical", and that was that.  I didn't see mention of crocodile tears or threats to cancel orders, or anything that would suggest the new boost in quantity would render their record inferior.  I don't know, it just seems like a far reach for a parody.  Maybe I should browse the Anberlin thread or something for context, though that's something I really have no desire to do.  If someone is legitimately sweating their /200 variant actually being /250 or /400, or scoffs at a "one time only" boxset becoming available again, they can rightfully fuck off and give up on the world of vinyl while they're at it.

The Anberlin thread DID get like that and your last few sentences mimic my sentiments completely.

33 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

The Anberlin thread DID get like that and your last few sentences mimic my sentiments completely.

Well, to be fair, I haven't listened to Anberlin since I was 16 nor have I poked my head into the thread.  Haven't looked at that WZ thread either but it sounds like an entertaining read.  Were people having a meltdown in the ATDI thread yesterday?  Because that's not the impression I got.  Maybe I should be grateful that I seem to frequent threads that only a handful of specific individuals participate in – all of whom are good sports and probably couldn't care less about rarity – but I just haven't seen those ridiculous posts, myself.  That's all I was getting at.  Maybe I should've asked if people still think along those lines and post similar sentiments, because I haven't seen them in a good bit.  Not that I'm complaining.  I'm actually thinking intently on the last post I've seen cry about an overrun or variant mixup, and I've got nothing.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I would say that you lucked out, my friend. Because I have seen a good bit of it in the last few weeks alone.

Damn.  I feel like I see you in a lot of the same threads I'm in, so that's pretty wild.  Sorry you have to sift through it.  Back when I first started getting into vinyl, I would always spring for the most limited variant on stuff just for the sake of owning that /200, even if the /500 was considerably cooler.  Stupid.  I have a ways to go until I can shed all cares about bells and whistles and just be content with black vinyl, but I've definitely loosened up about it over the years, and now typically spring for whatever appeals most to me, rarity damned.  I think that discussing variants and "collectibility" part of the whole vinyl shtick, along with sound quality, jackets, aftermarket gouging, and all that bullshit.  But being bratty about exclusiveness is where I draw the line; I bid you some of my karma in being able to dodge those posts.

Related:

IPECAC RECORDINGS TO RELEASE LIVE VII BY ISIS (THE BAND) ON MARCH 31

LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION, THE SEVENTH RELEASE IN ONGOING LIVE SERIES, FEATURES MUSIC SPANNING DISCOGRAPHY; PRE-ORDERS AVAILABLE NOW

One of heavy music’s most influential artists of the past 20 years, Isis (the band), are to release the seventh in their ongoing series of live albums with Live VII (Ipecac Recordings, March 31st).

The collection will see a limited worldwide release of 3000 CD copies, 2000 vinyl copies (vinyl will be available at a later date) with an additional 600 made available exclusively to indie retailers. Pre-orders are available now via Ipecac’s web store and Bandcamp. The nine-song set was recorded on Feb. 25, 2010, at The Corner hotel in Melbourne, Australia during the band’s stint on the venerable Soundwave Festival. The band’s own Aaron Harris mixed the album.

Live VII track list:
1. Hall of the Dead
2. Hand of the Host
3. Holy Tears
4. 20 Minutes / 40 Years
5. Ghost Key
6. Wills Dissolve
7. Threshold of Transformation
8. Carry
9. Celestial (The Tower)

The members of Isis (the band) continue to push the boundaries of modern music with Aaron Harris working as a film and television composer for Methodic Doubt while continuing work with Palms alongside his former bandmates’ Jeff Caxide and Bryant Clifford Meyer. Meyer also creates music under the Taiga moniker. Aaron Turner continues recording, releasing records and touring with numerous groups, most prominently SUMAC and Mammifer. Mike Gallagher’s Mustard Gas and Roses released their new album, Becoming, in late 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/Isis-the-band-158503560864483/
http://isis.merchtable.com/
http://www.isistheband.com/
http://ipecac.com/
http://ipecacrecordings.bandcamp.com/

Isis, “In Fiction” from Live VI

Edited by danyc

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Damn.  I feel like I see you in a lot of the same threads I'm in, so that's pretty wild.  Sorry you have to sift through it.  Back when I first started getting into vinyl, I would always spring for the most limited variant on stuff just for the sake of owning that /200, even if the /500 was considerably cooler.  Stupid.  I have a ways to go until I can shed all cares about bells and whistles and just be content with black vinyl, but I've definitely loosened up about it over the years, and now typically spring for whatever appeals most to me, rarity damned.  I think that discussing variants and "collectibility" part of the whole vinyl shtick, along with sound quality, jackets, aftermarket gouging, and all that bullshit.  But being bratty about exclusiveness is where I draw the line; I bid you some of my karma in being able to dodge those posts.

Yeah, I'm with you. I certainly don't expect nor wish for everyone on the board to become some sort of Vinyl Collective Monk who sees past the matrix of colors, splatters and gimmicks to only ever appreciate the purest virgin black vinyl the industry can muster to produce all of their records. I like some colors and some colors annoy me. Sometimes colors are ugly as shit. That's not even the point. I just find it unbearable when people buy a variant solely on the merits of its rarity and then bitch when the numbers change. Just feels like a non-issue but a big reason to complain nowadays. 

8 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I certainly don't expect nor wish for everyone on the board to become some sort of Vinyl Collective Monk who sees past the matrix of colors, splatters and gimmicks to only ever appreciate the purest virgin black vinyl the industry can muster to produce all of their records. I like some colors and some colors annoy me. Sometimes colors are ugly as shit. That's not even the point. I just find it unbearable when people buy a variant solely on the merits of its rarity and then bitch when the numbers change. Just feels like a non-issue but a big reason to complain nowadays. 

matrix.

I feel like not one post in this thread (including ROBO's post) mentioned that this sucker is 45RPM. I just threw this on and was shocked to find this out. 

In other news, this master sounds pretty amazing. There's a great deal of clarity. I've never played another copy from the first press on the setup I'm currently using but I feel like there is definitely some major work put in to this new master. So much space and room for all the crazy shit that's going on in every song. 

Anyway, this master is pretty  exciting. There was an energy in one of the guitar passages in "Ghost Key" that buzzed so potently, I though something was vibrating in the room I was in. Just finishing side B and I'm impressed so far. 

3 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I feel like not one post in this thread (including ROBO's post) mentioned that this sucker is 45RPM. I just threw this on and was shocked to find this out. 

In other news, this master sounds pretty amazing. There's a great deal of clarity. I've never played another copy from the first press on the setup I'm currently using but I feel like there is definitely some major work put in to this new master. So much space and room for all the crazy shit that's going on in every song. 

Anyway, this master is pretty  exciting. There was an energy in one of the guitar passages in "Ghost Key" that buzzed so potently, I though something was vibrating in the room I was in. Just finishing side B and I'm impressed so far. 

Very interesting!  That makes me want to track one down now, haha.  I've doubled dipped on so many ISIS albums, I was planning to sit this one out...

I have about three original presses and I still felt the need to grab this though I put if off for a good while. I feel totally justified. It really is a unique experience. Luckily I used the 30% off ROBO coupon. I just couldn't pass on a savings like that. Plus the jacket is heavy ass Stoughton and glossy to high heaven. It looks and feels really good. This is a top quality ROBO press and well worth the cost.

• 2 months later...

~ Found this AIF* from 2009 • The band formally known as 'Isis' ask me to play a lead on the track 'Hall of the Dead' from the album 'Wavering Radiant' • The Recording is just the raw tracks I did for producer Evil Joe Barresi • i did two passes and split them left & right in the speakers. (Try Headphones...) • I was suppose to stop when the vocals came back in but i figured id keep going to give Joe possible mixing options. • Great project. • Hope those guys get back together someday ❤️

Edited by bortx