Does anyone here collect Ween Vinyl?

2 hours ago, Drewsggr said:

I'm a huge Ween fan and am seeing $499 price tags on some of the vinyl on eBay. Does anyone here collect it? Are there certain pressings I should stay away from? Any overall recommendations?

DGGR

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8jFkNBJFbs0rg8J32xGF6w

Not a huge collector of Ween but a fan. The plain records stuff is okay at best, I think most people will say that the mushroom originals are the ones to get, but they are certainly the most expensive. Not sure what's $499, but that's ridiculous unless it's a super limited NM collector's piece and it's all you need to complete your collection. Then maaaaaaybe at best.

Thanks guys. I will pursue the Plain Records route. That was the information I was looking for. Yea, for some reason La Cucharacha is going for $499 and it doesn't seem to be available anymore on their site. I'm mostly interested in The Mollusk, Chocolate and Cheese, White Pepper and Quebec. I just picked up the new GWS live album on white vinyl and it sounds/is outstanding. Some of the best live stuff that I have heard from them. Lots of energy. 

For all of you who say to stop listening to Ween, listen to whatever you want and I will do the same! :)

1 hour ago, apirk said:

Is it selling for $400 or is someone just listing it for that much, there is a huge difference.  Especially considering it last sold for $16 on diScogs in October 

They have it listed for that. Don't think that it is selling but I couldn't find it anywhere else. 

1 minute ago, Drewsggr said:

It looks like White Pepper, C&C and some others are available on ween.com but they are the black vinyl. I see some others are available with the colored vinyl. Other than looking cool and potential collectible value, any other advantages to those pressings as compared to the black vinyl?

Black and clear vinyl have the best sound quality. Lots of colors pose an issue with fidelity. 

Plain pressings are usually a little flat sounding, and generally have terrible quality control down to even the jackets. 

Listen to whatever the hell you want but Ween is goofy as fuck and so are their fans. Only person I know who likes them is 21, balding, with a ponytail and thick sideburns. He's a good guy though, just looks like a wreck. 

On 1/4/2017 at 4:15 PM, kannibal said:

GFY bye!

Get the fuck outta here with your internet short hand. Sooo much effort saved by not typing some extra letters. 

2 hours ago, Drewsggr said:

What makes them the worst? Bad pressings?

The absolute worst. Even aside from the shitty jackets and artwork, they nearly always have flat, sometimes distorted CD rips pressed to wax. Sometimes I wonder if everything they press is purely for the sake of a joke. 

Take, for example, their pressing of Mr. Bungle's self titled album. Instead of correcting the OG's mistake and pressing it to two discs like MOV ended up doing later, they kept it a single disc: A side 36 minutes, B side 38 minutes. Though I haven't heard it personally, a friend of mine maintains that it is one of the worst-sounding records he's ever heard.

They also did a notorious pressing of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, ironic considering they used their shitty pressing quality to release one of the densest and most layered albums out there--it demands high fidelity to get the full experience, and they spat on it.

Their pressings of Elliott Smith's XO and Figure 8 are so bad that it was considered a big deal when Bong Load did their own pressings at the end of last year, as fans would finally be able to hear it with decent quality,

4 hours ago, Drewsggr said:

They have it listed for that. Don't think that it is selling but I couldn't find it anywhere else. 

that ebay seller Jwilson19 jacks up the price when he is down to his last copy of something. I think he does that to keep the last copy from selling, then he can hopefully get more in and drop the price back down. He was selling them for $74.99 previously.

4 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Black and clear vinyl have the best sound quality. Lots of colors pose an issue with fidelity. 

Plain pressings are usually a little flat sounding, and generally have terrible quality control down to even the jackets. 

Listen to whatever the hell you want but Ween is goofy as fuck and so are their fans. Only person I know who likes them is 21, balding, with a ponytail and thick sideburns. He's a good guy though, just looks like a wreck. 

Get the fuck outta here with your internet short hand. Sooo much effort saved by not typing some extra letters. 

Good to know about black and clear. Thanks. 

Also, I don't match that description. I'm the president of a high tech company but I like eccentric music. They aren't all what I listen to but my preferences are bit odd. Heavy Vegetable, Crack The Sky, VoiVod, Tweez, Ween of course, Primus as well as most of the Les Claypool offshoots. Really digging his Lennon project, Clutch, The Dead Milkmen, Deerhoof, Pixies, Sleep, Wilco and I like some of the classic stuff too like Yes, Babe Ruth, Zepplin and others. Since you all have seen a profile of my musical taste, let me know if there is something similar that I may have missed and I would love to check it out. 

43 minutes ago, JezmundToo said:

The Plain pressings for Ween actually don't sound too bad, although I am pretty sure they are CD sourced.

Good to know. Thanks. I may try one of them out.