Random VC comment...

jhulud

So I'm sitting here putzing on the boards instead of packing for my Boston trip and my brother, who is here right now, asks me what website this is.

"Vinyl Collective message board", I reply.

"So, a bunch of nerds who collect records like you huh?", he retorted.

I dunno about you guys, but that was a great comment and made me laugh. ;D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my girlfriend thinks collecting vinyl is lame and a waste of money that i dont have. and thinks its even more ridiculous that i sit on the computer all day and talk about it. i suppose on a certain level shes right. i dont see her on bags/boots collective boards all day. yet, i suppose that would just be the bloomingdales website

my girlfriend thinks collecting vinyl is lame and a waste of money that i dont have. and thinks its even more ridiculous that i sit on the computer all day and talk about it. i suppose on a certain level shes right. i dont see her on bags/boots collective boards all day. yet, i suppose that would just be the bloomingdales website

the other day, my girlfriend saw my 3 copies of "shorter, faster, louder" and was like "why do you have so many of the same record?" I told her it was the different pressings and different colors. She said "you can no longer make fun of me for buying the same shirt in different colors." I just walked away.

since the girlfriend is just that for now and we don't share funds i can pretty much tell her to take off if she gets huffy about the records. however, i have attempted to scale back so we can go on trips and to disneyland and such. can't cry poor after buying $200 in records a month.

the other day, my girlfriend saw my 3 copies of "shorter, faster, louder" and was like "why do you have so many of the same record?" I told her it was the different pressings and different colors. She said "you can no longer make fun of me for buying the same shirt in different colors." I just walked away.

I usually talk about/show every new record I get to my girlfriend, just because we're around each other so much. Sometimes she'll notice it's something I already have a copy of and ask, "don't you already have that?" and I tell her it's a different pressing/color, to which she just replies, "oh okay, cool." Yeah, my girlfriend is pretty awesome.

before i moved in with her my girlfriend was buying her own records on a semi regular basis. the two of us have similar taste in music so once i moved in with all of mine it was a bit of a jackpot for her. since then im not sure if shes bought more than 5 records since if theres something she wants i more than likely have it. never had to deal with the more than one color thing since thats never been me more so its an "jesus, how many packages did you get this week?" we went to hawaii this summer for about 10 days and when we came back i had about 15 packages.

before i moved in with her my girlfriend was buying her own records on a semi regular basis. the two of us have similar taste in music so once i moved in with all of mine it was a bit of a jackpot for her. since then im not sure if shes bought more than 5 records since if theres something she wants i more than likely have it. never had to deal with the more than one color thing since thats never been me more so its an "jesus, how many packages did you get this week?" we went to hawaii this summer for about 10 days and when we came back i had about 15 packages.

Well mine also knows I only collect multiple colors/pressings for a few specific bands, so she doesn't mind it too much. Plus, she also knows that this is a hobby that doubles as a good investment.

I love how this thread became a "my girlfriend hates it when..." thread. As a happily married man, I would like to impart on you a little bit of advice.

The girlfriends/wives in our lives really complete who we are, but no matter how cool your gf is, they always try to change the person that you are. My advice is that if you love collecting records, drinking beer until 5 am on saturdays, or love eating all you can indian food once a week, it is important that you establish those parts of your life that make you who you are and let them know how important that part of your life is.

I will be the first to admit that my wife has made me a better person, but I have had more than one conversation with her about doing certain things that help me to remain me and how that helps us continue to be a happy us.

sorry for the rant, it is funny to hear what our friends, girlfriends, wives and other loved ones think of what we do.

i keep the prices secret, just because my gf is usually always broke and sometimes i feel bad if i drop 60-100 bucks on an order when she is having a hard time paying her bills. I am always open to helping her out (finacialy) but she usually wont ever ask. I mean i forked down hundreds for her down paymnet for her new car a couple months ago.

But right now she understands that collecting records is important to me because its one of the few things that makes me happy during this year where alot of things in both of our lives have been total shit

My lady loves helping me find records I don't already have (she texted me last night from the Hold Steady and told me "I'm buying you two gifts," which I'm assuming are the two 7"s they're selling). Plus, she's practically ordered me to never shave my beard off (whereas the last lady was not a fan), she loves the Bears and Cubs, challenges me constantly to eating contests (and loses every time) and is generally the best lady I've dated in my 25 years thus far.