Time To Sell (sadly) !

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and need your help!

I have a vast record album collection of late 50's,  60's, and 70's Rock & Roll which approximately 95% of the covers are in perfect or near perfect condition which was always a priority for me,  many of them are still factory sealed and a good number of them would be considered high end collectables such as:  The Beatles Yesterday And Today "Butchers Cover",  We Are The Chantels, The Teddy Bears Sing, ETC, ETC, ETC.

I'm getting up there in age and heath issues are existing, so sadly it's time to pass them on before they get forgotten or tossed in the trash due to ignorance --  OUCH !!! 

Here are my questions:

1.  Is there a simple way to assign a fair individual value without doing time consuming and sometimes confusing research such as simply looking them up in the Goldmine Guide and selling them for 1/2 of the listing?

2.  I'm sure this has been asked many times on this forum,  is E-bay an effective way to sell them?

I realize I could easily have a record dealer buy the entire collection in one quick swoop; but the thoughts of selling them for 10 cents on a dollar (if that)  would compromise the integrity my hard work  !!       

Thank you !

Discogs is easier and better IMO, unless you have some super-obscure title that no one is aware of.  That's the big advantage of eBay over Discogs, the ability to use keywords.  But you can see how many people have a given title in their wantlist on Discogs, if it's a high number then I would use them.  They have lower fees than eBay as well, which will add up if you're selling a lot.  I personally haven't sold records on eBay for years.

if you want to ensure that they sell, than listing them on eBay as an auction with a low starting price is the best way to do that. That will essentially guarantee they all sell, and to me that is the real "market value" although you may be surprised that some go for much less than you hoped / thought they would.

If you don't care about selling every record, and/or you want to make sure you get a minimum amount for them, than listing them on Discogs is the way to go.

You can actually list them on both, just remember once a record sells on one platform, you need to take down the listing on the other.

I won't beat around the bush. Selling 1,000 records individually is extremely time consuming. 

I'd try to sort out 20 that you think are the most valuable. Then look up those on discogs and eBay. Use sold listings only. 

If those bring $10 plus a piece pull another 20 records and repeate the process. 

Once you you have found a decent amount of $10 and over records try selling those and discover just how nerve racking it will be. 

Since you seem to need the money soon and don't want to deal with the time it takes individual listings, I'd suggest doing lots on eBay. 

Break them up by genre or era or something else that makes sense and put them up as auctions. You may get a few bucks less than selling them individually but it will save you countless hours and be much more profitable than a dealer would pay. 

You may may want to take the earlier suggestion to "cherry pick" the top 10-20 you think would be most valuable and do those individually, then the rest as lots. 

I think  this is a nice middle ground between labor intensive individual listings and loading them off to a shop. 

Thank you all for some great tips !

I like the idea of grouping some of the nominal valued albums.

I'm kind of leaning towards EBay whereas I recently had some old car parts hanging about and finally figured how to use their service, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks !!

In fact a few minutes ago I listed a Michael Jackson box set on EBay:  History, Past, Present & Future which I had still factory sealed.   I'll give that a try to see how that works??

Again is there any merit to pricing a record based on the Goldmine Guide --------- simply taking the listing and cutting it in half or whatever to offer a realistic value?  --- Every time I do WEB research I find prices all over the map and I get totally confused !!

Again thank you all !!

48 minutes ago, Rollieman said:

Thank you all for some great tips !

I like the idea of grouping some of the nominal valued albums.

I'm kind of leaning towards EBay whereas I recently had some old car parts hanging about and finally figured how to use their service, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks !!

In fact a few minutes ago I listed a Michael Jackson box set on EBay:  History, Past, Present & Future which I had still factory sealed.   I'll give that a try to see how that works??

Again is there any merit to pricing a record based on the Goldmine Guide --------- simply taking the listing and cutting it in half or whatever to offer a realistic value?  --- Every time I do WEB research I find prices all over the map and I get totally confused !!

Again thank you all !!

The best way to assess an accurate price is to search on eBay for what something has sold for previously, and/or on Discogs - you can actually see how much copies of any record have went for in the past and see what the condition of the record was. Do not just go off of what other sellers are asking because oftentimes they are WAY out of line with reality, for various reasons that I don't really understand. I think a lot of peoples attitude is just price high and if it sells, good for me, and if it doesn't sell who cares. There are so many overpriced albums I have seen on eBay & discogs and while they NEVER go for these inflated prices, the sellers seem to never reduce or negotiate on the price, so it's a market stalemate essentially. Very frustrating.

Also remember that for records that have been pressed many times, the devil is in the details. You may think you have a hundred dollar record, but then one etching mark is missing in the runout grooves and it is $15. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out exactly which pressing of Dark Side of the Moon I have. Goldmine guide for grading and be very anal about how you grade. I generally try to undergrade when I sell and completely describe any defects. Good luck.

35 minutes ago, jerseypride said:

Pleasantly surprised how cool people are being in this thread. First posts like these often devolve into unnecessary sarcasm and cattiness. Well done VC. 

Dude wasn't pitching his eBay account or Discogs for sale – which is the first thing I thought of when seeing the thread title – or asking the community to price his collection (i.e. "whattaya think this is worth?")  I think we can all assume he's not as in-touch or savvy with online sales as the majority of us are, so he's just looking for a nudge in the right direction.  I admire that he didn't ask for anyone else to do the legwork, and I'd guess that's why no one has felt compelled to tear his first post to shreds.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Dude wasn't pitching his eBay account or Discogs for sale – which is the first thing I thought of when seeing the thread title – or asking the community to price his collection (i.e. "whattaya think this is worth?")  I think we can all assume he's not as in-touch or savvy with online sales as the majority of us are, so he's just looking for a nudge in the right direction.  I admire that he didn't ask for anyone else to do the legwork, and I'd guess that's why no one has felt compelled to tear his first post to shreds.

2017: A new VC. 

Now taking bets how long it lasts.  

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

2017: A new VC. 

Now taking bets how long it lasts.  

4 hours ago, jerseypride said:

Pleasantly surprised how cool people are being in this thread. First posts like these often devolve into unnecessary sarcasm and cattiness. Well done VC. 

Cattiness you say?

Nope. I'd love to take that ball of yarn and run with it, but this is a good honest thread.

I'll take my cat gifs elsewhere.

I bid you good day.