AT LP120 Setup Help

I just upgraded from the LP-60 to the LP-120 and it was an enormous jump that I could not have seen coming even though I have been researching and planning on the upgrade for well over a year.

Last night when I first received it and setting up the counterweight, tracking force, height, etc. I could not tell how to know how perfect it was. I thought it looked parallel but what is the best to (sorry for the stupid question) tell if the needle is going directly down and in the optimal position? I got it to play music fine I just was not sure if I was damaging the record player and or record, it was probably fine but my anxiety was on another level when I did not have experience setting it up manually and I could not tell if I did it right haha.

That was a long winded explanation/question but any help would be great. I have watched multiple videos and read multiple articles and how to's on the same topic so I do not know how it can be explained well but I just want to hear from someone their experiences and how they go about day to day operation because I would like to know I am doing the right thing. Thank you for any help you give it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by goodvibes

2 hours ago, Dub said:

Why wouldn't you contact your seller to see if they can replace it or if you can return it?  Seems the easiest route to me.  Can't imagine there are lot of people out there looking for a brand new piece of broken equipment.

Oh yeah I am aware of that, I was pretty stressed last night. Already emailed for a replacement part so I will see how it goes. 

I now see what I wrote, and I dont need help with that already got it settled, I do have questions about correctly setting tracking force, tone arm height, counterweight, etc though 

*updated topic and original post to reflect current question, thank you

Edited by goodvibes