PO: Coco Hames - s/t (Out 3/31 on Merge Records - frontwoman of The Ettes/The Parting Gifts)

Coco Hames
Coco Hames
10_700_700_464_cocohames_900.jpg

Merge Records is delighted to announce that COCO HAMES, the frontwoman and indomitable force behind beloved garage-pop combo The Ettes, will release her self-titled solo debut on Merge Records at the end of March. Listen to the ardent ballad “I Do Love You” which premiered at American Songwriter. It showcases Hames’ considerable vocal prowess while conveying the intensity of new love.

Pre-order Coco Hames now on CD and LP in the Merge store or digitally here. The first 250 LP orders in our store will receive limited-edition opaque green vinyl.  All pre-orders will include a button, while supplies last, and will ship to arrive on or around the release date of March 31.

---

There’s an old saying about how “you have your whole life to write your first record.” For Coco Hames, the songs on her stunning self-titled debut poured from her pen over a sustained burst of inspiration…but they took more than a decade to live out. A deeply personal record filled with poignant ruminations on love lost and found, dreams dashed then rediscovered, these ten songs manage to pinpoint exquisite light amid life’s darkness.

As the frontwoman and indomitable force behind beloved garage-pop combo The Ettes, Hames blazed a memorable trail across the ’00s underground. Last summer, she began work on her solo album at The Bomb Shelter in Nashville. “It was this massive leap of faith for me,” she admits. “After being in a band for so long, this time I was on my own—no gang to hide behind or fall back on.” Hames co-produced the record with Andrija Tokic, who’d helped sire career-making albums for Alabama Shakes, Hurray for the Riff Raff, and others.

Playing guitar, piano, and electric harpsichord, Hames was aided in her effort by bassist Jack Lawrence (The Raconteurs), drummer Julian Dorio (The Whigs), and lead guitarist Adam Meisterhans (The Weight). Other contributors include veteran keyboard/organ wizard Dave Amels of Reigning Sound and vocalists Carey Kotsionis (Bobby Bare, Jr.) and Lillie Mae Rische (Jack White).

“I grew up listening to ’60s pop like Dusty Springfield, but also classic country music, like Patsy Cline, and things that bridged both worlds, like Bobbie Gentry,” notes Hames. “With this record, the end result doesn’t fit into any one category. Which is an exciting thing to me.”

The first 250 LP orders will receive limited edition opaque green vinyl.

Preorders will include two buttons while supplies last, and will ship to arrive on or around the release date of March 31.  

Edited by mertzrock
color change

• 1 month later...

The first 100 pre-orders also include a signed poster.  Also 2 buttons...

The first 100 preorders will receive a signed poster. 

The first 250 LP orders will receive limited edition opaque green vinyl.  

Pre-orders will include two buttons while supplies last, and will ship to arrive on or around the release date of March 31.  

• 1 month later...