PO Now: Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

http://eos360.mastodonrocks.com

3D Teaser video, I think it's safe to say that pre-orders and the full announcement are coming soon.

FB_IMG_1485457491652_zpspup25d6y.jpg?w=4

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/emperor-of-sand/id1195230194 iTunes leak

TRACKLISTING:
Sultan’s Curse
Show Yourself
Precious Stones
Steambreather 
Eons
Word To The Wise
Ancient Kingdom
Clandestiny 
Andromeda
Scorpion Breath 
Jaguar God

vinyl pre-order: http://mastodon.warnerbrosrecords.com/emperor-of-sand-bonus-color-in-vinyl-jacket.html

Edited by Reshiram454

11 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Teaser audio sounds pretty good. Last album was ok. Hunter was not really ok. The last thing I liked by them was Crack The Skye. I hope they get a little more experimental and a little less ZZ Top on this one. 

8 minutes ago, morfiend said:

Agreed. Crack The Skye was great, I really hope this new one is similar.

Crack the Skye was the last one from them that did anything for me :/

3 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

To each their own y'all but honestly these guys have yet to even come close to letting me down. I've everything I've heard (with the slightly exception of the outro of Aunt Lisa). I'm pumped.

"Aunt Lisa" is a really great song until that outro. That's a real WTF moment. Plus the title is pretty dumb. They used to call songs things like "Aqua Dementia" and "March of The Fire Ants." Now we get "Blasteroid" and "Stargasm" and "Aunt Lisa." I know song titles don't matter that much to most people but its part of the presentation for me and if the titles are dumb as shit, it becomes something of an impediment for me to enjoy the body of work.

20 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Teaser audio sounds pretty good. Last album was ok. Hunter was not really ok. The last thing I liked by them was Crack The Skye. I hope they get a little more experimental and a little less ZZ Top on this one. 

16 minutes ago, morfiend said:

Agreed. Crack The Skye was great, I really hope this new one is similar.

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Crack the Skye was the last one from them that did anything for me :/

Brendan O'Brien is producing this, and he was the producer for Crack The Skye, so hopefully that brings some excitement.

This would have to be astronomical to get me back on board. For me these guys really started to lose it after blood mountain. I bought Crack The Skye and The Hunter (which other than the track with Scott Kelly of Neurosis on was utter trash) and wound up giving both of those away. Their nasal attempts at melodic singing killed it for me.

3 hours ago, nick69 said:

Well I happen to love all of this band's releases. They've tried wacky new stuff in their last albums and they worked for me.

I even love the outro to Aunt Lisa. Tell me that lead riff, underneath the vocals, isn't sick!

The art style deviates from the previous albums, which is kinda annoying. But oh well.

The riff is bonkers and awesome. That's not the problem. The problem is a choir of children chanting bullshit about "Rock N' Roll." The idea and execution are cringe-worthy.

30 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

The riff is bonkers and awesome. That's not the problem. The problem is a choir of children chanting bullshit about "Rock N' Roll." The idea and execution are cringe-worthy.

Is it really children chanting? I always pictured hot cheerleaders singing that part. Maybe that's why I liked it, haha.

Children... Cheerleaders... whoever it is. It sounds fucking stupid and not that bands aren't allowed to grow in different directions but Faith No More was kind of pre-loaded with a goofiness that caters to doing something like that. "Be Aggressive" is one of my least favorite FNM songs at that. But Mastodon come from a musical style where you wouldn't necessarily think you were ever going to hear something like that. Its just super off-putting. Some bands are just better when they make more solemn-sounding music. For me, Mastodon is one of them. The first four albums are great. And aside from  the end of "Aunt Lisa" and like one other song, I thought OMRTS was actually getting back to a more solemn and slightly progressive metal sound. It was so much better than The Hunter. It wasn't quite what the first four albums are but it was still moving in a better direction than its immediate predecessor.