PO Now: JUNIUS - Eternal Rituals for the Accretion of Light

Is anyone else having issues with delays with Pelagic? 

I ordered a record mid last month (not a pre-order) and still haven't received it. I usually get this within a week from them. I know there might be delays due to the current situation but it's been a month. I've tried emailing them and contacting them on social media and no answer. Weird.

5 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I ordered a record mid last month (not a pre-order) and still haven't received it. I usually get this within a week from them. I know there might be delays due to the current situation but it's been a month. I've tried emailing them and contacting them on social media and no answer. Weird.

Are they located in Germany? Last I knew they weren't accepting mail to the US (if that's where you reside). All international mail is super slow or suspended. I've been waiting 5 weeks for a package from Japan. 

17 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Not sure how German post works these days, but from Poland I can only send economy (surface) to US, which takes ages (and I mean, ages!) to be delivered.

I personally even gave up sending  to US until airmail is back to save myself and receiver some nerves..

12 hours ago, endlessslog said:

Are they located in Germany? Last I knew they weren't accepting mail to the US (if that's where you reside). All international mail is super slow or suspended. I've been waiting 5 weeks for a package from Japan. 

1 hour ago, seku said:

Not sure how German post works these days, but from Poland I can only send economy (surface) to US, which takes ages (and I mean, ages!) to be delivered.

I personally even gave up sending  to US until airmail is back to save myself and receiver some nerves..

I'm in Ireland and I've gotten at least 2 deliveries from Germany since. That's why I think it's strange. I have another delivery stuck in Russia now for almost 2 months. Things are messy over there.

12 hours ago, solitaryreign said:

Yes, they're located in Berlin.

For those who don't reach them via E-Mail I'd suggest their social media accounts, or directly Paul or Dennis. They usually respond pretty fast.

I've tried email (to the shop and to Robin), Instagram and Facebook. No reply, not even read. I'll try Paul or Dennis directly.

20 minutes ago, wisdom81 said:

I'm in Ireland and I've gotten at least 2 deliveries from Germany since. That's why I think it's strange. I have another delivery stuck in Russia now for almost 2 months. Things are messy over there.

I've tried email (to the shop and to Robin), Instagram and Facebook. No reply, not even read. I'll try Paul or Dennis directly.

Which e-mail did you used  ?

12 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I think Robin is not so super into all shop stuff and more managing the bands. Good luck to you, though. I need to get over there myself and pick up quite a lot as well, but work's keeping me busy.

11 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I don't have any other email addresses

It's either paul@ or dennis@

On 5/13/2020 at 4:08 AM, seku said:

As for the remasters, I really hate how more limited variants differ in terms of price. Like 30% more for 'special' ,which is just different colour variant? :(

They've been doing this for a long time now, them and other labels.  It's smart, because it helps them at least get some of the money back from the flippers who put them right up on Discogs. 

On 5/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, daniele said:

You can hear the remasters on bancamp.....Martyrdom was remixed too and i think that it sounds a way better than before.....Ordered both....

Oh i know, I was meaning more like "not sure if i'll buy but i want to hear it"

They'll be in the USA via A Thousand Arms soon, I just got word from CJ.  Stay tuned!

On 5/15/2020 at 7:39 PM, daegor said:

Bands/labels never loose money from flippers, quite the opposite.

If they sell it for $20, and then a flipper sells it for $60, that's $40 more that the label could have potentially seen.  So, I think them selling it for like $30 to eat into some of the re-sale market seems like a smart business decision. 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

If they sell it for $20, and then a flipper sells it for $60, that's $40 more that the label could have potentially seen.  So, I think them selling it for like $30 to eat into some of the re-sale market seems like a smart business decision. 

I mean, if a label did that I would make a point of not buying from them

On 5/15/2020 at 3:03 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

They've been doing this for a long time now, them and other labels.  It's smart, because it helps them at least get some of the money back from the flippers who put them right up on Discogs. 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Dumbest thing I’ve read on VC in quite a while, and that is no small feat.

Imagine all labels adapting this mentality.  Flippers would increase their resale price to make a wider profit margin if $40 LPs were the new norm, and it’s not hard to fathom the cycle ramping up from there.  Picture someone like Mondo or VMP implementing a direct rarity-to-price ratio... where they’re aware that a $30 exclusive is guaranteed to sell out in hours and fetch big bucks on Discogs shortly after, so they assign a $70 price-tag to “offset” the difference.  With this approach, everyone is punished.  You’re essentially saying that it’s “business savvy” for true fans and vinyl enthusiasts to pay an extra $10+ per record, to make up for the minority of greedy assholes.  It’s disturbing to me that anyone’s grasp of the hobby could be that impaired in the year 2020.  I hope and pray you never have any kind of influence or input on any release I may be interested in down the road.

30 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

He out Gumbo’d himself. 

To be completely fair, I feel like I haven't really called out or shit on his posts in a long, long while.  He sort of "toned it down", I guess, but now I can already envision the same song and dance of him hopping in here to rehash, defend, or otherwise justify the stance by making the same post 3-4 more times.  I'm already exhausted.

9 minutes ago, nothingnatural said:

Hahahahaha, fuck. Just started posting around these parts again and this shit provided some lulz.

I haven't seen you post in a long, long while.  I think VC has more or less died in your absence.  It gets some activity now and then, but it's a lot less chatty [and fun or entertaining] than it used to be, that's for sure.  But still... at least we get little nuggets like this thread, now and then.

50 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I haven't seen you post in a long, long while.  I think VC has more or less died in your absence.  It gets some activity now and then, but it's a lot less chatty [and fun or entertaining] than it used to be, that's for sure.  But still... at least we get little nuggets like this thread, now and then.

I was lurkin around the whole time and buying records as I always will. But yeah, definitely seen this place fall quite silent over the last few years. 

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Dumbest thing I’ve read on VC in quite a while, and that is no small feat.

What's your rationale, then, for labels already doing this?  Pelagic, Elusive, TRL, they all charge extra for the limited variants now.  It's been going on for a while?  Also I fear you may have misunderstood my post - I'm not advocating for labels to start selling records for $40-60 for rarity (although Elusive already basically does this).  That was just the spread in my analogy. 

For example, this very release:

Vol 1:
Black - 22eu

/300 - 27eu

/200 - 30eu

Martyrdom:

Black - 25eu

/300 - 29eu

/200 - 33eu

How do you explain that?

Edited by Gumbo72203

Oh I’ve already seen it, don’t get me wrong.  I don’t really order from Pelagic too much – most of their stuff that appeals to me gets carried by TRL – and Elusive’s stuff, from what I’ve purchased, has either been “standard color choice” or “go balls in on the deluxe”, so that’s easy enough.

Relapse’s $1 markup between 2-3 colored variants is lame, and eye-roll inducing.  But it’s not an outright $10 inflation.  I never said you were cool with $40-$60 records, by the way – my whole point is that your willingness to get reamed, “for the label’s sake”, could spiral things down that path in theory.

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Oh I’ve already seen it, don’t get me wrong.  I don’t really order from Pelagic too much – most of their stuff that appeals to me gets carried by TRL – and Elusive’s stuff, from what I’ve purchased, has either been “standard color choice” or “go balls in on the deluxe”, so that’s easy enough.

Relapse’s $1 markup between 2-3 colored variants is lame, and eye-roll inducing.  But it’s not an outright $10 inflation.  I never said you were cool with $40-$60 records, by the way – my whole point is that your willingness to get reamed, “for the label’s sake”, could spiral things down that path in theory.

16 hours ago, daegor said:

How do you explain it? It's price gouging, plain and simple.  I get an extra $2-3 maybe.

But I mean, I paid for the most limited, so I'm not complaining.

I guess my point applies to both of you, but I don't quite see it as gouging.  I think it's a fair reaction to regain some market share.  This is partly why I've just said "Fuck it" and go black now, I'm not interested in paying that much extra for limited stuff.  If some people are, cool - that's their right.  Market forces would collapse that option if nobody really cared to pay more for limiteds. 

I guess my viewpoint is that label is taking on all the risk by doing the work to press the record, and then people buy them to flip at 2x or 3x the price.... why shouldn't some of that money go back to the person doing the work?  I mean, I understand that capitalism is predatory and that it can't be avoided in some instances, but I feel like the "right" thing is for as much of that money as possible to go back to the label and band's pockets.  I mean, they're the ones creating the thing in the first place after all. 

We Lost The Sea even posted something about it with the latest release of Departure Songs, because people had them up on Ebay for $150 hours after they went on sale haha.  It must be a weird, shitty sort of feeling that this thing you put your heart and soul into making (not to mention losing a brother to suicide with) is getting exploited for profit. 

But then again, I suppose how you feel about that is related to where you stand on cut-throat capitalism maybe?  I'm not sure.  I just don't think an extra few bucks going to the label is such a bad thing, that's all.  If the label isn't sharing that with the bands, however, that's lame as hell.