Record Store Day 2017

9 hours ago, lloydrx said:

I'm wondering if you've sold as many units of your album as they have.

In fact, they have not sold as many albums as I have!

EDIT:  And I'm just ribbing, all you have to do is look at my signature to see that my tastes are all over the fucking map.  I legit didn't know Coheed were so popular though.

Edited by daegor

23 minutes ago, daegor said:

In fact, they have not sold as many albums as I have!

EDIT:  And I'm just ribbing, all you have to do is look at my signature to see that my tastes are all over the fucking map.  I legit didn't know Coheed were so popular though.

Yeah I think that came out a little more harsh then I wanted. I just know there is a huge demand. Especially for good apollo vol 1 since its a first press. I hope I can snag one. I've been a fan since sstb though. They definitely aren't for everyone but have a lot of die hards.

12 minutes ago, lloydrx said:

Yeah I think that came out a little more harsh then I wanted. I just know there is a huge demand. Especially for good apollo vol 1 since its a first press. I hope I can snag one. I've been a fan since sstb though. They definitely aren't for everyone but have a lot of die hards.

"Welcome Home" on vinyl is enough reason for me to grab this. Not a die hard tho, really only listened to that album when I was in high school...

1 hour ago, patreeeek said:

Apparently The Cure's Greatest Hits & Acoustic Hits will be getting picture disc releases

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2017/03/07/the-cure-record-store-day-greatest-hits-acoustic-hits/

"Picture disc"

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

2 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Yo Boston amigos, where do you guys go for RSD? I've spent all my RSD years in Ann Arbor, Michigan (at the fantastic Underground Sounds), and this will be my first year out East. Hoping that there's nothing that'll interest me this year but figured I'd get this question out of the way now.

Newburys are scattered across the land. Not a huge fan. Personally, I like Armaggedon near Harvard. Great guys.  There's a few stores in that area. Just a quick trip on the Red Line. And Nuggets near Fenway (been there a couple of times but not sure how they do RSD). You could also drive north and find a Bull Moose in NH if you have the means. There's tons of other options around the whole city though. Sadly, I am moving to NY in two weeks (traitor, I know) so I will have to find a shop in the city there.

3 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Yo Boston amigos, where do you guys go for RSD? I've spent all my RSD years in Ann Arbor, Michigan (at the fantastic Underground Sounds), and this will be my first year out East. Hoping that there's nothing that'll interest me this year but figured I'd get this question out of the way now.

I usually hit up the Harvard Newbury Comics in the morning, then another smaller shop (Somerville Grooves) later in the afternoon. Newbury is expensive, but you'll likely be able to find everything you want there. 

26 minutes ago, The Saint said:

Newburys are scattered across the land. Not a huge fan. Personally, I like Armaggedon near Harvard. Great guys.  There's a few stores in that area. Just a quick trip on the Red Line. And Nuggets near Fenway (been there a couple of times but not sure how they do RSD). You could also drive north and find a Bull Moose in NH if you have the means. There's tons of other options around the whole city though. Sadly, I am moving to NY in two weeks (traitor, I know) so I will have to find a shop in the city there.

Thanks for the info! I've been to a few of the Newbury Comics shops and Armageddon. Wasn't sure if NC actually did RSD or not.

2 minutes ago, Moglog said:

I usually hit up the Harvard Newbury Comics in the morning, then another smaller shop (Somerville Grooves) later in the afternoon. Newbury is expensive, but you'll likely be able to find everything you want there. 

Thanks as well! Sounds like NC will be my plan then, assuming there's anything that I actually want.

This is an honest question: 

Considering the release of the official RSD list is simply to inform everyone of the releases that will be available, and we don't actually have to pay for the list itself..what exactly is the reason those who know the list do not want to share the list early. (I completely understand that "the man" on here would obviously punish those who leak the list, so my question also is to them on why it truly matters)

If I see the list NOW on March 7th and decide there's absolutely nothing I want to buy, then isn't that the same decision I'd make on March 22 when RSD officially releases the list? Its not like RSD is going to lose business simply bcuz we know what we want/don't want earlier than they plan?? 

Idk maybe I'm just speakin crazy talk!!! 

18 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Considering the release of the official RSD list is simply to inform everyone of the releases that will be available, and we don't actually have to pay for the list itself..what exactly is the reason those who know the list do not want to share the list early. (I completely understand that "the man" on here would obviously punish those who leak the list, so my question also is to them on why it truly matters)

If I see the list NOW on March 7th and decide there's absolutely nothing I want to buy, then isn't that the same decision I'd make on March 22 when RSD officially releases the list? Its not like RSD is going to lose business simply bcuz we know what we want/don't want earlier than they plan?? 

The board is owned by a record store so if they allow people to post the list early they could potentially be punished by the RSD folks.  Hence previous years full lists being deleted and the posters given a temporary ban.

26 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

21 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

It's all about building hype for the event.  If it gets leaked early...it can ruin promotional build up.  Especially like if a certain website pays for the early exclusive.

5 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

The board is owned by a record store so if they allow people to post the list early they could potentially be punished by the RSD folks.  Hence previous years full lists being deleted and the posters given a temporary ban.

Both of those answers are true, but to go further into it...

The list isn't finalized until it's officially released.  Organizing this many artists, labels, plants, distributors, etc, is no small thing.  The list WILL change before the official announcement, releases will be added, some removed, etc.  So to your point, if you look at it now and decide that there is nothing that you want and ignore the list when it is officially announced you might have missed something that was added later, or even a detail that was changed (repress incorrectly listed as a picture disc when it's not, or something, that turned you off), and because now you're not payment attention they are loosing money.

1 minute ago, daegor said:

The list isn't finalized until it's officially released.  Organizing this many artists, labels, plants, distributors, etc, is no small thing.  The list WILL change before the official announcement, releases will be added, some removed, etc.  So to your point, if you look at it now and decide that there is nothing that you want and ignore the list when it is officially announced you might have missed something that was added later, or even a detail that was changed (repress incorrectly listed as a picture disc when it's not, or something, that turned you off), and because now you're not payment attention they are loosing money.

That and shops who sign up for Record Store Day have to agree to terms and conditions. Retailer's caught breaking those rules can be withdrawn from future RSD events.

34 minutes ago, daegor said:

Makes sense - thanks for the insight!

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I believe there was a separate thread for the Good Apollo press not too long ago, but it was moved to Everything Else for lack of concrete details.  @jhulud may want to move it back so the specific discussion and inevitable "if anyone picked up an extra..." posts can stay out of this general RSD thread.

Good call on the move, but we all know that if it's 2500, everyone of these mofos is going to be flipped like a flapjack. 

Hopefully Coheed comes through with multiple variants (for the tour, retail, webstore, etc.)

41 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Makes sense - thanks for the insight!

Just my two cents on this issue.

No one that replied is incorrect, but in my opinion it is more a matter of "controlling the narrative" than it is a desire to "get things right".

I can't remember a year that the list wasn't revised multiple times even after the official release.

The list is going to be a snapshot in time, no matter if it is released 3 months before RSD or 3 days before RSD. Of course it will be more accurate the closer you get to the actual day, but things are changing right up until the end due to both clerical errors and unforeseen circumstances.

RSD wants to control the release of this information so they can control the story.

They have worked hard all year (in many cases for several years) to bring these releases to fruition so they (deservedly) want to be the ones to reveal the fruits of their labor to the world.

If we divulge the whole list now then who is going to want to pay attention to their long-planned big reveal in a few weeks?

For me, the real question is, why wouldn't the folks who run RSD release the list to the public at the same time they release it to the stores?

One theory is that perhaps the folks at RSD want the stores to feel the pressure of having to make the relatively quick decision about which of these hundreds of titles they should carry, without the benefit of customer input.

No store wants to be the lame shop that didn't order enough copies of those one or two titles that people are willing to camp overnight for. So we might as well cast a wide net, right?

If the store was allowed to share the list with their customers and had adequate time to do so, many of the same criticisms about certain titles that surface in this thread would undoubtedly be voiced to store owners. 

In that world, all of these unsold ghosts of RSD past would be moldering in an RSD warehouse somewhere instead of haunting the racks at my shop.

Like I said, just my two cents.