Record Store Day 2017

1 minute ago, DOMAN127 said:

I always forget that's a feature, seems like it would just flood my inbox. 

Usually what I do is just check back every few hours and open everything with a "last unread post" star in a new tab.

I believe that's what most people do.

Anyone remember the guy in some hype thread who begged everyone to stop posting right before he went to bed to bed – unless it was official news – because he didn't want to wake up to a million e-mail updates?  That was pretty good, and worked out just as well as you'd assume it would.

46 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

So... There's still no official list yet? 

Think it'll probably be coming soon as RSD official websites just posted about the Bowie stuff thats coming. They'll do a few more days of dripfeeding but probably drop the list end of next week as itll be roughly a month ahead of the day itself at that point.

Pure speculation but thats the pattern I've discerned over the past few years.

I understand @Shitty Rambo

I am a mod at another forum and I know. Don't know how you do it honestly. It's just some people usually like to fuel the fire. Maybe that's what I'm doing.

And @Derek™, you are right.  Always.  In time, I will learn the correct path. But the email system has yet to fail me. 

Edited by RobertSmith

I can list the many ways that email notification has helped, but then some will find a way to refute each reason. Long story short, it's been a game changer for me. I can't log in at work (lovely Barracuda blocker) and its the only way to really keep up to date. 

I don't really get an email for each post, its more along the lines of a thread inside that same email. It's way easier than looking at my phone every 5 minutes, and scrolling through all those pages. 

And now back to regular programming. Lurking was way more fun.

I'm in for 2 releases.

Usually with RSD, its like my old abuela used to say "if you hear water, it's usually because there's a current coming". I have yet to see any major rumours about RSD not be true, except for if something is a US or EUR release. 

Even the DMB release turned out to be on that prelim list. Which makes me excited every time someone posts. I still don't get why I don't gey why they keep the list under wraps for so long. I feel they are doing themselves a disservice. Not that it's gonna get less people to go, it's just not as funner.

Edited by RobertSmith

I think the main reason is accurate info cause many labels are scrambling to get their releases together and it also gives record stores a chance to make an educated guess on what they want from the list before everyone freaks out and spams their local stores and the big dogs get like 50 of one title and the little guy can't even get his store one copy

18 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

Have there been any announcements of a St. Vincent release? I dont feel like browsing through the 15 pages of randomness. I'm lazy.

no updates.  strangely quiet on all fronts st. vincent -- no news...or even rumors...about any tour dates or plans to play any festivals in 2017.  

could very well be that the album is announced for release on RSD when the list is dropped, though.

if that happens, then lolla, OL, and ACL are possible 2017 N.A. festivals where she could make appearances. 

35 minutes ago, Boourns said:

I know of at least one major US summer festival that tried, and failed, to book St. Vincent.

unless she committed to lolla very recently, she won't be in the lineup when the announcement is made in less than two weeks.  

90% of lolla 2017 was booked by the end of last summer (well, october), and st. vincent was nowhere to be found...

in any event, i know for a fact that her album is finished (many other reports can corroborate), because i've heard a few tracks already.  it all comes down to whatever the hell she has planned for the release.

56 minutes ago, redroom said:

The record store owner showed me a new list and I can say what I want from the list and on RSD I can pick up everything. 

Pretty sure they order the item and literally anyone can buy it when they show up for RSD.  That is how 99% of record stores operate, anyway.  It promotes getting there early and competing for the limited and highly-desired items.  I don't think shops are allowed to take your requests and specifically hold them behind the counter for you.

27 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Pretty sure they order the item and literally anyone can buy it when they show up for RSD.  That is how 99% of record stores operate, anyway.  It promotes getting there early and competing for the limited and highly-desired items.  I don't think shops are allowed to take your requests and specifically hold them behind the counter for you.

You're both correct.

Stores aren't allowed to do it.

Stores do it.

On 08/03/2017 at 3:06 PM, got PTSD from RSD said:

The Sundays - Blind and Field Music - Tones of Town are both on the US list. 

The US list also contained an Elastica reissue that was a UK import a few years ago. Waited 90 minutes in line and a slow as molasses crawl through the store only to be told it didn't arrive in the shipment.  Neither of these bands have a strong US following; the labels reissuing this stuff are both UK-based anyway. I'm 99.9% certain the listing means "available to order for the North American market" rather than "made/distributed in North America".

On 08/03/2017 at 4:11 PM, tonyfranciosa said:

Two Bowie releases from Hoffman forum: 

David Bowie: Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles, '74)(3LP)(Record Store Day Exclusive)
A previously unreleased live recording from Los Angeles on 5th September, 1974, this was a pivotal gig in the transition between the Diamond Dogs tour and the Philly Dogs tour. Produced by David Bowie and mixed by Tony Visconti at Human Studios, NYC in October/November 2016, 3LP with 6th etching on the 6th side.

Oh damn, this changes everything. I'm going to grab Nassau Coliseum and David Live soon and this is an essential piece of the Diamond Dogs Tour which is one of the few Bowie tours that I really care about. Too bad they couldn't fill out side 6 with some extra live cuts from the era but maybe there aren't any.

Edited by armadillo01