Record Store Day 2017

2 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Record Store Day were just a day people were encouraged to go out and hang at their local shop, talk to the owner and fellow music lovers, browse the cool inventory and maybe support the place by buying an album or two? Basically just enjoy themselves - with no exclusives?

I do this almost weekly. I've been going to their store for 18 years now. They've become like family. 

Edited by teakay

Just now, teakay said:

I don't this almost weekly. I've been going to their store for 18 years now. They've become like family. 

Well, yeah - I think what I was sort of implying there is that that's the way most of the people who visit VC are with their local record shop every day of the year. 

All RSD is doing is causing the market to be flooded by releases that aren't needed, stick around in markdown bins for years and cause people who don't visit a record store the other 364 days of the year to queue up one morning. Excuse me, two mornings if you count Black Friday. 

Now, if I'm wrong and this holiday truly helps the stores make a ton of profit and stay in business so I can frequent them the rest of the year, then I take it all back. But it seems like what I'm hearing from the shops I visit and a lot of people around here is RSD does just as much harm as good. Maybe not for Bullmoose or Reckless or Amoeba or Newbury Comics but for the smaller shops - y'know, the ones that supposedly were the focus of this whole thing to begin with. 

Last year I think I bought 14 items on RSD. Most were worth it, a few were fun gimmicks, and one was something I'd been wanting reissued for a while (Pinback).  This year I'm buying zero. Zero things. I'll probably just go in and buy a non-RSD title from a few stores and watch whatever local bands are playing.

5 hours ago, darkeyelids said:

I've seen this posted on like 3 different sites, but I wouldn't use it as a complete list seeing as how some confirmed releases don't appear 

Edited by DOMAN127

Just saw this on the list:

Various Artists – Space Jam: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture [2LP] (Blue / Black Stardust Colored Vinyl, limited to 3500, indie-retail exclusive)

I can't tell if this is fake or not anymore.

4 minutes ago, duckula said:

Various Artists – Space Jam: Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture [2LP] (Blue / Black Stardust Colored Vinyl, limited to 3500, indie-retail exclusive)

It's true. 

28 minutes ago, duckula said:

Least it's cheaper than the prices on Discogs for the original pressing. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Thomas & Friends – Steam, Rattle, and Roll [10”] (Transparent Blue Vinyl, lyric sheet, limited to 1500, indie-retail exclusive)

Not gonna pick this one up. Any output after they fired Sir Topham Hatt as manager in the middle of the 2012 Japanese tour is garbage IMO.

Just 3 weeks before RSD in London, on April 1, is the Indie Label Market. Obviously a much smaller but for me now a much more interesting event. I think given the choice I know where I would rather spend my money although I live 100 miles from London and by the time I got there most of the good stuff would probably have gone. I believe they are also held in NY and LA once or twice a year. Among the items on offer this year:

C6a_rdZXEAoohCO.jpg

http://www.independentlabelmarket.com/

Edited by Roandy55

10 hours ago, darkeyelids said:

If this holds true I'll be interested in Space Jam, The Lumineers and ATL Unplugged. So far away from a record store though, so who knows if I'll be able to grab any of them.