Record Store Day 2017

Just left the first shop. They got two Coheeds and I got one of them luckily. Also got Sunny Day Real Estate and Brother Ali. I'm going to another shop in hopes of getting the Distillers, Balance & Composure, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Against Me.

The sticker on Coheed says it's a splatter, but mine is a swirl, disc one being black and white, disc two being black and maroon. Looks great. 

To conclude my story: I gave up the #1 spot, went home and slept, ordered the one 7" I wanted, played Zelda with my kid and am now going to Home Depot for wood to build fossil hunting sieves so we can go shark tooth hunting tomorrow. 

Big win.

Got to Newbury about a half hour before it opened, was maybe 12th in line. Wasn't even necessary because I feel like the had a shit ton of everything. Picked up Superchunk, War on Drugs (listening now and sounds great), and Jason Isbell. Saw a friend's pictures who lives in Nashville, apparently people were camping out at Third Man for two days.

I'll also say, while nothing was a bargain, the prices seemed slightly less absurd this year. 

43 minutes ago, pizza face said:

Got mostly everything I wanted at bullmoose and picked up stuff for some people.  I caved and got the Alice in chains 2 x 7"

Was about to go to a Flea market then I decided to stop at Newbury comics and they had one last copy of UGK. Didn't get Coheed but not too worried about that. 

Fucking stoked on UGK, didn't think I was gonna get one especially since they aren't even on sleezebay. 

I was in that line at BMoose to, about 20 people back or so, got there at 6:30.

As usual, they had plenty of selection and was able to find everything. The AIC is a nice little piece. 

I subscribe to a lot of record store instagram feeds.  Every store is putting up photographs of their setups for RSD.    After looking at maybe 300 copies of, say, Motorhead,  it just doesn't seem that record is hard-to-find to me any more.  None of it does.  I'm going to visit a couple of my local stores this afternoon. after the stores have emptied out.

As for the early online sales tomorrow of unsold stock, every RSD I see the panic in the eyes of shopowners about 4PM in the afternoon when the good titles and the good stuff is gone and they're staring at 500+ unsold RSD titles in their bins and they realize that that unsold stock represents all their potential profits for the day.  

The sheer numbers of releases is overwhelming for store owners.  Especially because you really don't have any idea what kind of a fill you can expect from your orders, and since you can't return the unsold stock.  The smart ones are already planning their online / EBay strategies going forward for the unsold items.

Happy to report that like last year I was able to get a good nights sleep and show up at my local store at around midday and still get the 3 records I was after. The only things that seemed to be sold out were the Bowie and Prince things so the folks queueing must be big into that here. Have a good day everyone :-)