Record Store Day 2017

On 16/03/2017 at 9:37 AM, Stress On The Sky said:

Yeah i agree the flow is great. I'm not against having compilations on vinyl either, still not enough to have me camping out on the street for just this n maybe the Cocteau Twins bits. If the Cure were putting out their self titled I'd definitely be digging out my camp chair though.

This. Really want that self titled album. 

On 3/16/2017 at 8:31 AM, museummouth said:

At least The Cure picture discs have actual jackets vs just plastic.  If Greatest Hits is cheap I'll get the main one since that track list is amazing and has a great flow for a compilation. 

Literally the only comp I can think of that has great flow of tracks throughout....really wish it wasn't a picture disc 

Edited by FlippingOut

6 hours ago, MicLima said:

Same, hopefully they post the leftovers online or it makes it over here for RSD.

4 hours ago, moodist said:

Limited to 1000.

Good luck to you all. I waited hours in 2014 in the cold and then was stuck in a roped-off conveyer-belt line that ran around the inside of the whole store (meaning you couldn't cut in line to get to cashiers if you found all you need) only to be told that only a handful of copies ever made it over in North America and they never got a copy. It was literally the only thing I needed that year, too. 

Your best bet is to order from Norman Records literally seconds after their RSD inventory goes up. I could have done it in '14 but I hedged.

4 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

.really wish it wasn't a picture disc 

The #1 reason I hate RSD is because they clog pressing plants with bullshit no one buys (just browsed through three milkcarts worth of 5 dollar discounted RSD 2016 titles at the local store today for ex). But the #2 reason is the picture discs in particular.

21 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

The #1 reason I hate RSD is because they clog pressing plants with bullshit no one buys (just browsed through three milkcarts worth of 5 dollar discounted RSD 2016 titles at the local store today for ex). 

So out of the cases and cases of records the store bought for RSD last year they only have a milk carts worth a year later....sounds like most of the releases were bullshit people wanted to buy (I know every store I go to has lines and lines of folks buying stuff).  Don't see where a few misses here or there is any different than the product they stock any other day of the year....

22 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

So out of the cases and cases of records the store bought for RSD last year they only have a milk carts worth a year later....sounds like most of the releases were bullshit people wanted to buy (I know every store I go to has lines and lines of folks buying stuff).  Don't see where a few misses here or there is any different than the product they stock any other day of the year....

You're defending Justin Bieber LPs FWIW. Oh, and Ed Sheeran.

Also, how did you go from me clearly typing "three" to you going "a milk carts [sic.] worth"? Read comprehension fail much, friend?

Edited by armadillo01

I didn't type three, but I did over look it in your post.  However, three still isn't bad if its a large store that bought anything near as much as my local stores do.  One of our local stores sets up a large parking lot tent to hold all the stuff he gets (Euclid Records), so yeah if they only had 3 boxes left over they would consider that a great day!  Also I have nothing against Beiber records....but different strokes for different folks.

I mean Justin Beiber and Ed Sheeran are pretty popular. I see why stores may order more of those. I personally don't enjoy their music, but I get how people do and don't think its unreasonable if a store gets alot and have it left over. 

I'd have less issues with RSD if they repressed shit. Limiting stuff to 500, 1000 or even 5000 for massive bands when demand will outweigh that number doesn't drive me to line up, it makes me wait to watch ebay or discogs so I don't have to put up with the crowd. Stores don't win when that happens and I'd posit I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

Edited by timsimmons

9 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I mean Justin Beiber and Ed Sheeran are pretty popular. I see why stores may order more of those. I personally don't enjoy their music, but I get how people do and don't think its unreasonable if a store gets alot and have it left over. 

I'd have less issues with RSD if they repressed shit. Limiting stuff to 500, 1000 or even 5000 for massive bands when demand will outweigh that number doesn't drive me to line up, it makes me wait to watch ebay or discogs so I don't have to put up with the crowd. Stores don't win when that happens and I'd posit I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

Except this is a store, Rotate This!, that has a punk, hardcore, indie, lo-fi aesthetic to its curating; context your replies continue to miss because you don't even think to ask for it (not that it stops you from providing uninformed rebuttals).

My point is simple: They 100% should not have bought that content, and certainly not at the volume they did; they misread their clientele despite 25 years in the business, gambling on punters with a taste for Top 40  pop to show up when almost every other record store in town caters to a more mainstream/trad-rock demo. They were inarguably wrong about that, with the discounted overstock being proof-positive of that.

3 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

Except this is a store, Rotate This!, that has a punk, hardcore, indie, lo-fi aesthetic to its curating; context your replies continue to miss because you don't even think to ask for it (not that it stops you from providing uninformed rebuttals).

My point is simple: They 100% should not have bought that content, and certainly not at the volume they did; they misread their clientele despite 25 years in the business, gambling on punters with a taste for Top 40  pop to show up when almost every other record store in town caters to a more mainstream/trad-rock demo. They were inarguably wrong about that, with the discounted overstock being proof-positive of that.

So go talk to the store owners about how to manage their inventory <_<

I'm definitely not pro-RSD, but you point has nothing to do with RSD.

15 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I wonder what will happen first: RSD dying or the vinyl bubble bursting.

The first option. You do realize that it's only been around for a decade, right?

17 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

let me know when any of your stores have no one show up to buy the RSD releases....then we can call RSD dead.

Yeah I never even so much as inferred anything close to saying "RSD is dead" so kindly take your strawman fallacy and shove it you know where :) 

2 minutes ago, daegor said:

So go talk to the store owners about how to manage their inventory <_<

I'm definitely not pro-RSD, but you point has nothing to do with RSD.

Me critiquing a local store's bad RSD overstock has nothing to do with RSD how? Please explain. Use logic.

25 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

Me critiquing a local store's bad RSD overstock has nothing to do with RSD how? Please explain. Use logic.

Because it's not "RSD's" fault they ordered a bunch of shit their clientele doesn't care about. That's an issue with that store, not the day itself. I'm personally not crazy about RSD, but if this store fucked up their order that's on them and no one else.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Because it's not "RSD's" fault they ordered a bunch of shit their clientele doesn't care about. That's an issue with that store, not the day itself. I'm personally not crazy about RSD, but if this store fucked up their order that's on them and no one else.

It is when the "bunch of shit" is 100% RSD 2016 stock.

Sigh, let me spell it out for you: No RSD? No RSD stock to order from, hence no milk-carts for me to look at a year later and talk shit about.  Straightforward cause and effect.

Edited by armadillo01

One of the problems with the system, though, is that stores don't always get what they order, and have to order a lot of the stuff most people deem out of touch just to ensure they get PART of what they ordered due to perceived demand at their store. Distributors don't want to be stuck with the crap either.

Pressing in adequate quantities is another big problem. Ask your local (small) store if they got the full quantity of their order on popular items.  They never do. It's not hard to look at the list or the leftovers every year and determine how numbers could be better allocated to bigger pressings by eliminating/or lessening some of the less exciting titles.  2000 Faulty Towers Soundtrack picture discs. 2000.

Bigger quantities of less titles may be something to consider to combat some of the negative perceptions. It would also keep those titles of eBay. Smaller bands and labels could still do smaller batches. I don't know. Just a thought.