WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT CORNER DINGS?!?

Satan

48 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Are people really still selling records on eBay?  What a gruelfest.

never once had a problem selling records on ebay, the one time I sold a tape though the buyer complained and returned the item despite me warning them it was not play tested and they paid like $5 for it. I hate tapes and have never tried to sell them online since.

If it's something that got damaged during shipping, whether new or used, sure it's a bummer.  But if that's the worst thing that happened to me that day, it was a pretty good day.

If it's a used record that I bought online whose condition was misrepresented in order for the seller to get more money, yeah, I'll be kinda pissed off.  Again, if that's the worst thing, pretty good day.

Overall, it's the record itself that matters.  As long as I can listen to it, the sleeve doesn't matter.

Edited by tdogg241

4 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

never once had a problem selling records on ebay, the one time I sold a tape though the buyer complained and returned the item despite me warning them it was not play tested and they paid like $5 for it. I hate tapes and have never tried to sell them online since.

I've never really had issues, but Discogs is so much easier and takes less in fees, and when I search for records to BUY on eBay it seems like a wasteland...I guess I figured most people had just migrated over.

Edited by hammertime

10 minutes ago, tdogg241 said:

If it's something that got damaged during shipping, whether new or used, sure it's a bummer.  But if that's the worst thing that happened to me that day, it was a pretty good day.

If it's a used record that I bought online whose condition was misrepresented in order for the seller to get more money, yeah, I'll be kinda pissed off.  Again, if that's the worst thing, pretty good day.

Overall, it's the record itself that matters.  As long as I can listen to it, the sleeve doesn't matter.

How do you know they are misrepresented, and were not dinged during shipment to you?

I couldn't care less about dinged corners.

18 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

How do you know they are misrepresented, and were not dinged during shipment to you?

I couldn't care less about dinged corners.

A proper mailer and packaging with no damage, but the record somehow has dinged corners.

I once paid $50 for a record that was listed as being NM but it clearly wasn't.  It had nothing to do with the shipping.  Hell, the mailer was in pristine condition in comparison to the sleeve itself!

But again, I'm with y'all.  If it's the worst thing to happen to my day, but I still get to listen to a new record, it was a pretty good day.

If the record is not packed correctly, you can get dinged corners in a perfectly looking mailer. That's common knowledge.

First thing I do when I get a new LP in the mail is gently shake the box to see if the jacket was bouncing around inside the box the whole trip. Gives me an idea of what to expect when I open it.

9 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

First thing I do when I get a new LP in the mail is gently shake the box to see if the jacket was bouncing around inside the box the whole trip. Gives me an idea of what to expect when I open it.

Do your nads tighten when you hear a particular sound?

really sorry dude, I'm in an odd mood this morn. Just kiddin!

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I've never really had issues, but Discogs is so much easier and takes less in fees, and when I search for records to BUY on eBay it seems like a wasteland...I guess I figured most people had just migrated over.

Obsessive fans of cult bands don't really use discogs, in my experience.  Prices still go for higher on eBay.  For buying, it's mostly G+/VG stuff being graded as NM / Excellent or VG+++++, or the old "good condition for it's age" , which means it's survived being a clock, nailed on a diner wall, frisbie without breaking, and possibly lived in a spider nest in the attic.

Edited by ScaleTheInferno
editing

Corner dings are fine, unless it's excessive. I mean it's fucking cardboard, it's bound to happen. What really annoys me is when buyers gripe about that shit on a record that's like 10+ years old. I always go with vg+ when listing records and detail even the most minor things since people can be so anal about it. 

5 hours ago, ScaleTheInferno said:

This reminds me of a Tool bootleg I sold to a guy on eBay. Graded it as VG+ because of corner dings. A german guy won the auction about 2/3rd what I paid, so it was a loss from the get-go, but then he had the audacity to raise a dispute/refund because my photos didn't show how bad the corner dings were claimed the listing misleading.  (they weren't, that's why you couldn't see them without an effing zoom lens) 

I told him the grading reflected minor dings but he wouldn't budge. Never had a buyer dispute raised in my life, I pride myself on accurate gradings. Gave him a discount and called it a day.  But next time I'm not putting up with that baloney. 

crazy ass germans. but seriously, a VG+ grading for corner dings is accurate. if the kraut wasn't ok with a VG+ jacket, then he shouldn't have purchased a record listed with a VG+ jacket.

13 minutes ago, Fungi said:

crazy ass germans. but seriously, a VG+ grading for corner dings is accurate. if the kraut wasn't ok with a VG+ jacket, then he shouldn't have purchased a record listed with a VG+ jacket.

Depends entirely on your definition of a ding.  Your "ding threshold", if you will.

Just now, freedumb said:

Depends entirely on your definition of a ding.  Your "ding threshold", if you will.

ding threshold. i like it.

but it can be a helluva ding and still be VG+. even the nerds over at the Record Collectors Guild agree:

• Very Good Plus (VG+)   Generally worth 50 percent of the Near Mint value. 

A Very Good Plus record will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it. 

Record surfaces may show some signs of wear and may have slight scuffs or very light scratches that don't affect one's listening experiences. Slight warps that do not affect the sound are "OK". 

The label may have some ring wear or discoloration, but it should be barely noticeable. The center hole will not have been misshapen by repeated play. 

Picture sleeves and LP inner sleeves will have some slight wear, lightly turned up corners, or a slight seam split. An LP cover may have slight signs of wear also and may be marred by a cut-out hole, indentation or corner indicating it was taken out of print and sold at a discount. 

In general, if not for a couple things wrong with it, this would be Near Mint. All but the most mint-crazy collectors will find a Very Good Plus record highly acceptable.

i mean, hell. an LP cover can have a fucking hole in it and still be VG+.

Corner dings is a millennial entitlement thing. 

Buy a record that is over 20 years old and there's a great chance it's in horrible shape. People bought records to listen to with no intention of reselling. People hung the liner notes on walls and wrote their name on the covers and labels. Many of these records were simply thrown out when a kid moved out, switched to cds/mp3s, literally wore out the record, or switched musical tastes. 

I have no idea where this thread has gone because I only read the first page.  If I get a record and it has a corner ding, I'm disappointed for all of 10 seconds.  Then I play it, it goes on my shelf, and I probably never think about it again.  I have no issue with people who get annoyed by them, especially if it is due to a shitty job packing the record.  I get a little annoyed when I get an LP loose in a mailer with all four corners smashed up.  Just buy some fucking bubble wrap.

One of the reasons (at least this is true for me) that people even buy vinyl is to have & enjoy the glorious sleeve artwork. Some even frame their vinyl sleeves and put them on their wall (I do this as well). A corner ding in effect mars the "artwork". Will it detract from the actual audio? No, but if you are the type that sits there with the sleeve in hand, looking at it and reading the liner notes as you listen, then yes it can detract from the experience.

Furthermore - if you're buying a record second-hand from someone and its in pristine condition, then it's a safe bet that the previous owner has taken care of the item. You can feel confident that there will be little if any issues with it. A corner ding may send the message that the previous owner was NOT as careful with the record, and maybe if he allowed the corners to be dinged, then he allowed other mishandling as well. It's not a guarantee but something to be wary of. 

obviously if you're talking about brand new vinyl that comes with a corner ding, then it's a bummer, but not the end of the world. My first paragraph still applies though.

2 hours ago, kjkenney said:

Corner dings are fine, unless it's excessive. I mean it's fucking cardboard, it's bound to happen. What really annoys me is when buyers gripe about that shit on a record that's like 10+ years old. I always go with vg+ when listing records and detail even the most minor things since people can be so anal about it. 

What's the difference in how old it is? If it's graded NM, I would expect NM.

If it's old and beat up, grade it accordingly, and there will be no surprises.

5 minutes ago, the industry said:

One of the reasons (at least this is true for me) that people even buy vinyl is to have & enjoy the glorious sleeve artwork. Some even frame their vinyl sleeves and put them on their wall (I do this as well). A corner ding in effect mars the "artwork". Will it detract from the actual audio? No, but if you are the type that sits there with the sleeve in hand, looking at it and reading the liner notes as you listen, then yes it can detract from the experience.

Furthermore - if you're buying a record second-hand from someone and its in pristine condition, then it's a safe bet that the previous owner has taken care of the item. You can feel confident that there will be little if any issues with it. A corner ding may send the message that the previous owner was NOT as careful with the record, and maybe if he allowed the corners to be dinged, then he allowed other mishandling as well. It's not a guarantee but something to be wary of. 

obviously if you're talking about brand new vinyl that comes with a corner ding, then it's a bummer, but not the end of the world. My first paragraph still applies though.

Most frames cover corner dings. Same with getting a print with a ding. Let the frame/mat help you out.