WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT CORNER DINGS?!?

Satan

15 hours ago, Fungi said:
17 minutes ago, aopps42 said:

I had a guy complain about splits on generic inner sleeves. People will bitch about anything, especially if they think they can get a few bucks back. 

Haha now THAT is comical. I throw those paper things away first chance I get.

19 hours ago, sve said:

If I am buying a new record, or a record that states that it is near mint, then it better be perfect.  I like things perfect

15 hours ago, sve said:

If you are selling records, just grade correctly and its really no big deal. 

15 hours ago, sve said:

Thats fine, just grade accordingly?

Grade correctly? Not trying to beat you down, but somebody needs to tell you that a near mint record does not mean *perfect*.

To expect this is ridiculous and makes you a ridiculous buyer.  Same thing with assuming that new means absolutely perfect in this imperfect world. Again, I hope you are "abundantly clear* about your need for *perfection* to sellers before you purchase.  If you don't and then later complain about a tiny bump, you're an overly fussy and shitty customer, who should have been clear and upfront about your obsessive needs.

Sooooo... how about that eBay name so I can put a block on you?

4 hours ago, freedumb said:

Grade correctly? Not trying to beat you down, but somebody needs to tell you that a near mint record does not mean *perfect*.

To expect this is ridiculous and makes you a ridiculous buyer.  Same thing with assuming that new means absolutely perfect in this imperfect world. Again, I hope you are "abundantly clear* about your need for *perfection* to sellers before you purchase.  If you don't and then later complain about a tiny bump, you're an overly fussy and shitty customer, who should have been clear and upfront about your obsessive needs.

If you use the definition of Near Mint provided by Discogs official policy/terms, it does mean "perfect" basically. I agree that that is kind of crazy, since Mint is already defined as perfect, but that is the definition given.

When I've sold used records there, I never graded above VG+ even if the record was like new. Rather than use my own definitions of Near Mint then drop a lecture on people who used the site's definition, I honored the site definition and lowered my grades. It worked out well for me and I never had to worry about a customer being disappointed.

That said, I don't think I've ever gotten angry at a seller/label or puffed my chest and gotten internet bro aggressive on a buyer. They are just records and mistakes happen on both sides. When I want to let out aggression, I'll play MLB '16 and angrily strike out on purpose or go for a run. The 3-4 times I've blocked a buyer on Discogs, it didn't provide me as much satisfaction as the times I've angrily mashed the square button on a Jake Arrieta slider in the dirt.

6 hours ago, freedumb said:

How hard is it to say, nm 1" corner ding? 

And I am very clear with what my expectations are, and I offer to pay extra for better shipping.  Again, i never said i dont buy imperfect things, but if it says mint or near mint, with no other notes, i expect it to be perfect or close to it.  

Real difficult.  Don't worry, i dont want to do business with you either.

Edited by sve

2 hours ago, sve said:

How hard is it to say, nm 1" corner ding? 

And I am very clear with what my expectations are, and I offer to pay extra for better shipping.  Again, i never said i dont buy imperfect things, but if it says mint or near mint, with no other notes, i expect it to be perfect or close to it.  

I don't consider 1" to be a ding - too large, discogs' near mint allows for minor blemishes and now you're changing what you said about near mint needing to be perfect but...

35f0e3a44e1c284dc56abf47a9f4677f.jpg

Edited by freedumb

If there were two identical copies of an album for sale, one was 25 bucks and had a couple of corner dings and the other was 28 bucks and the sleeve was mint, which would you go for. If its the second one, then you care about corner dings enough to pay a little bit more. And it will be the definition of irony when it turns up with a corner ding anyway, due to being shipped in a shitty mailer.

Me? I would probably have bought the ding free one.

Recently imported a record off Discogs for about $17 cheaper than the next option up, solely because it has a "visibly bent" bottom right corner.  Both listings featured mint, unplayed vinyl, pristine inserts, no split seams, etc.  I'll take $20 for a bent corner any day of the week.  In fact, if you wanted to come over with $25,000 and a hammer of your choice, I'll let you fuck up one (1) corner on every jacket I own.

Edited by Derek™

On January 26, 2017 at 9:31 PM, hammertime said:

It's something you should've been able to deduce on your own.  Corner dings don't bother me...neither do spindle marks on the label, or other weird pet peeves other people have.   But I hate spine splits with a passion.  Why?  Because I do.  People are weird and have weird obsessions.  That includes you.  These discussions are exhausting...so bye.  I look forward to your thread tomorrow: "Why do some people dislike cauliflower?"

You sir. Are not a likeable character. 

On 1/26/2017 at 8:19 PM, Derek™ said:

.  I do think the rules change a bit if you're looking for an archival copy to frame, resell, or otherwise do weird shit with.

I just imported an LP from Germany. The jacket was rated VG+ and I would venture to say structurally it was NM however the seller packaged it in terrifically shit folded down cardboard crate and a dog shit tape job and did this knowing it was crossing an ocean. Miraculously, the LP arrived in just under the rated condition with the exception of a significant corner "smush" I'd call it. Its not horrendous and 8 years ago I would have lost my shit especially since it was a gift but I can handle it now and it did not detract from the enjoyment of the person I gave it to.

On 1/28/2017 at 10:24 AM, vinyl addict said:

Haha now THAT is comical. I throw those paper things away first chance I get.

I save them for records i get from the bargain bin. Oft times I'll find something in decent condition but without an inner sleeve. A paper one is better than none at all.

I just under grade everything. 99% of stuff I sell is NM but I still grade it VG+. Or if it has some dings and is a VG+  I'll grade it VG and so on. I'm not worried about losing "value" by the grading system. When I sell a record I'm just trying to make room on shelf or thin out records I haven't listened to in awhile. I under grade it and list it at a lower price than whatever the cheapest currently listed on Discogs. They always sell fast and I've never received a complaint.

14 minutes ago, niblips said:

I save them for records i get from the bargain bin. Oft times I'll find something in decent condition but without an inner sleeve. A paper one is better than none at all.

For bargain bin finds, I use the polylined paper sleeves from new LPs that came with them. Everything else gets MOFI sleeves.

I buy records with the intention of keeping them so my tolerance for sleeve damage is a bit more relaxed.  Corner dings or other kinds of wear don't bother me too much when my scrutiny is focused mostly on the condition of the record itself.  I sometimes get surprised with sleeve wear that wasn't mentioned but for the most part the damage has to be a pretty big eye sore to make me want my money back.  The kind of wear I try to avoid the most is damage that distracts from the album cover since the other part of vinyl I like to enjoy is the album artwork.

19 hours ago, niblips said:

Unless it's post 80s, an import or has a polylined or rice sleeve you might want to reconsider that. If you ever see a yellowed or brown inner sleeve throw it away they have acid in the sleeve that eats away at the record and even if it's look perfect you will still hear constant surface noise, no sleeve is better than an acid sleeve. I still need to make a sleeve city order, but I've been trying to get rid of all my acid sleeves

26 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Unless it's post 80s, an import or has a polylined or rice sleeve you might want to reconsider that. If you ever see a yellowed or brown inner sleeve throw it away they have acid in the sleeve that eats away at the record and even if it's look perfect you will still hear constant surface noise, no sleeve is better than an acid sleeve. I still need to make a sleeve city order, but I've been trying to get rid of all my acid sleeves

Are you saying any paper sleeve pre 1980 has this acid issue? Just looking for clarity.

I don't reuse old paper inners. Just the new ones that come in new records. I use those for bargain bin records. Stuff i acquire for less than a buck. I'm not too worried about those usually. And i'd rather not just waste the new paper inners. 

There is the occasion where i come across something worth a bit from the bargain bin (recently picked up The Organ for a buck in VG- condition), then i replace the sleeve with a mofi inner or equivalent.