Experience Vinyl - Artist Curated Subscription Service

nardes

Elton JohnQuincy JonesGeorge ClintonTalib Kweli and Sean Lennon are among the first artist curators tapped for Experience Vinyl. As Billboard reports, the new vinyl record subscription service will launch in April.

For less than $30 a month, subscribers will receive an artist-picked favorite album accompanied by personal commentary, the curator's top ten albums list, access to the Experience Vinyl's store and various rewards. The service also includes quarterly concert invites and eligibility for giveaways and trips.

The terms of the subscription can vary from annual to trimonthly or month-to-month, and a portion of sales will benefit a charity chosen by the artist. Experience Vinyl's first curator Elton John will have a portion of his sales donated to The Elton John AIDS Foundation. 

Source

This one one seems like it could actually be interesting... 

Edited by nardes

I know it's also about the extra stuff you get, but I figure you could just as well read interviews of your favorite artists and get the same hints to their respective favorite or top 10 records as well as some insight or "commentary". Wild Nothing for example has done a lot of those things, I recall.

As long as the picks aren't any super secret or highly sought-after pieces that are reissued on this occasion, I wouldn't see much reason to join.

17 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

I know it's also about the extra stuff you get, but I figure you could just as well read interviews of your favorite artists and get the same hints to their respective favorite or top 10 records as well as some insight or "commentary". Wild Nothing for example has done a lot of those things, I recall.

As long as the picks aren't any super secret or highly sought-after pieces that are reissued on this occasion, I wouldn't see much reason to join.

This is how I've found dozens of bands in the past. It's cool that some of the profit goes to charity and that they have quite a few big names to kick the program off but most big names will have a whole section devoted to their taste and influences on wikipedia. Another pitfall is that just because an artist you like finds another group influential doesn't mean you'll like that group. Loads of my favourite bands like stuff I can't stand or am unmoved by.

Yeah. My jaded/cynical assumption is that they are handing these artists a list of already pressed major label reissues that are collecting dust in a distribution warehouse and asking them to 'pick' their top 10 favorites. I would be pleasantly surprised if they invested in new pressings of out of print records that those curators actually love.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone sign up for this? I'm pretty sure I'm going to sign up but was curious of the quality of the releases.

Also, I asked a couple questions and got these answers if anyone is interested:

We're going to be launching the store the end of this week or next week. To start we're just going to sell our past issues and a turntable. Over time, we'll add more curated selections to the store.

We have a basic swap program right now and will be building it out in the future. At the moment, if you want to swap out an album, let us know and we'll give you a few options for the albums we have in the office. If there's something you want, we'll send it right out to you.

Also, they're going to let me sign up retroactively so I can get the Sly release. Pretty sweet! Great customer service from what I've seen so far.

• 2 years later...