Dub (Reggae) Appreciation Thread

Any fans of dub? I have become somewhat obsessed in the last year. Nearly every record I've bought in the last 12 months has been dub or dub related. Mostly the classic 70's stuff, but also some Orb, Twilight Circus Dub Soundsystem, Meatbeat Manifesto and others of the more electronic variety.

Recent pickups:

Scientist - Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Vampires

Augustus Pablo - Meets the Rockers Uptown

Phil Pratt - Star Wars Dub

Bad Brains - I and I in Dub

Lee Perry & Upsetters - Return of the Super Ape

I have Tappa Zukie - In Dub and Linton Kwesi Johnson - In Dub on the way currently.

I admittedly hated all the dub remixes of the 80's and 90's for singles. And I was a casual at best reggae fan, but now my neighbors must think I am a weed salesman as all you hear coming from my place is dub.

Edited by Monastic_mike

5 minutes ago, Metal Mike said:

Did you get an OG copy or the somewhat recent repress?

I'm curious how the repress sounds.

Its a repress. Sounds good to me, I mean, none of these were beautifully recorded in the first place but the background is black and there's no over driven sound. Like a lot of dub represses, they seem to be mixed "hot" which I personally don't mind as it adds a sense of excitement to the recording. Obviously I'm no purist.

1 minute ago, Monastic_mike said:

Its a repress. Sounds good to me, I mean, none of these were beautifully recorded in the first place but the background is black and there's no over driven sound. Like a lot of dub represses, they seem to be mixed "hot" which I personally don't mind as it adds a sense of excitement to the recording. Obviously I'm no purist.

Thanks, I'll grab one. I really should have a vinyl copy of this.

23 minutes ago, natenomm said:

I've kinda dabbled around with Dub music recently, but my introduction to it was "Trevor Jackson Presents: Science Fiction Dancehall Classics." It was mentioned on a list of best rereleases on vinyl last year (or 2 years ago?) and I really liked it. 

I'm going to check that out!

9 minutes ago, zeb_enjoys_vinyl said:

heart of the congos is the best reggae album i know of

I've read that a lot and I've been listening to it. Its not grabbing me but I'll ice it and come back it later. Its one of the few records people rave about that haven't been instantly great so far.

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth I picked up Burning Spear Live Paris 2xLP. I had this on cd a million years ago and then found it at a treasonable price on LP and picked it up. Not necessarily dub but a friggin' solid record.

Also picked up "Dial M for Murder" which I believe Phil Pratt produced either partly or in full.

• 1 month later...