Collecting one artist collection

jas115

Since if you're collecting as much as possible or even one whole genre, it's possible to accumulate several thousand records. Is there anybody who has only a handful of vinyl from different artists, but the main bulk of their collection is just one artist. Which artist is it? For instance is there anybody that collects EVERYTHING (Lp's, 45's cd's) from Aerosmith etc... I'm starting to do that with AC/DC, and finding out that it is manageable to get the regular releases, but there are a TON of other releases, singles, maxi-singles, bootlegs, promos, you can even collect every country's release for LP (That would be overboard, but it can be done!!!)

My REM collection is pretty stupid big at this point.  CD singles, 7/jukebox/12" singles (uk and US..australia, spain, etc), deluxe/special editions, box sets,  etc.  If it's been officially released and is a variant of something I already have, I buy it.  There's not a lot of REM pieces I don't have.   They are the only band that I've bought countless pieces of whatever has their name on it.

But...when I started collecting vinyl again about 10 years back, in addition to REM, I decided to grab all of the other artists that I love, with the random album here and there of just things I wanted.   So far artists I really like, I tend to dig in on *everything* they've ever put out.   I'll finish a discography (usually just studio albums) and then move onto the next, finish it, etc. 

It's worked out really well, because I'm at a point where I'm kind of done buying the stuff I just "had" to have to finish my favorite artists off.  At this point, I just kind of buy new/old stuff randomly with no focus on any one in particular and it's really expanded my collection variety-wise.

REM, that sounds like a nice band and a cool project, that must be a massive collection as you've listed many formats you collect.... One thing about collecting one artist, you know what your focus is and hunting for it becomes a lot more organized IMO. So like you said, if you have a couple of favorite artists, check the discography and find those. 

Some good replies in here.

i'm surprised there aren't more people on this board who focus their efforts on collecting items of one artist in particular.  lots of music democrats around these parts, hah.

to each his own, i guess. 

budget-allowing, i focus on about three artists and collect everything i can on each and every type of medium (vinyl, cd, promo cd, cassette, minidisc, VHS, etc.) and leave it at that.  keeps it simple (though, in reality, it really doesn't...).

24 minutes ago, frutiger75 said:

i'm surprised there aren't more people on this board who focus their efforts on collecting items of one artist in particular.  lots of music democrats around these parts, hah.

to each his own, i guess. 

budget-allowing, i focus on about three artists and collect everything i can on each and every type of medium (vinyl, cd, promo cd, cassette, minidisc, VHS, etc.) and leave it at that.  keeps it simple (though, in reality, it really doesn't...).

what in the fuck is a music democrat