Collecting one artist collection

jas115

23 minutes ago, frutiger75 said:

put on your thinking cap.

I think you're just dumb and used the wrong word. Dictator maybe?

Either way it doesn't make any sense I dunno. Unless you think a lack of replies somehow relates to a lack of voter turn out? Reaching no matter.

Edited by Shlebs

1 hour ago, frutiger75 said:

i'm surprised there aren't more people on this board who focus their efforts on collecting items of one artist in particular. 

Plenty of people focus on specific things to collect, but this is a vinyl forum, so I'm not sure why you'd expect folks here to collect cds/vhs/etc.

I personally collect a couple different discographies, but I'm a non-pic disc LP only collector for the most part. I don't go in for compilations, 7", cds and that sort of thing. I'll generally grab non-7" EPs too. I also don't go in for variant collecting since I prefer to own music from as many artists I enjoy as possible rather than just a few.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

11 hours ago, Shlebs said:

I think you're just dumb and used the wrong word. Dictator maybe?

Either way it doesn't make any sense I dunno. Unless you think a lack of replies somehow relates to a lack of voter turn out? Reaching no matter.

nope, certainly not a malapropism, eggcorn, or (perhaps most appropriately) a misnomer of any sort.  

the term was not used with any contemplation or intended direct reference to politics (or the political landscape); i was writing circumambagiously.

in any case, suffice it to say that you're kinda acting like a douche/pedant, or, at the very least, unnecessarily snarky.

3 hours ago, museummouth said:

I think this dude is having a hard time understanding that most people would rather own 500 records of various artists than just focus on 3 artists and only collect those. 

not that i'm having a difficult time understanding people's collecting habits; only pointing out that it's interesting -- based upon not only responses in this thread, but also a general survey of posts in others  -- that more people seemingly tend to collect with variety of artists in mind as opposed to honing in on one (or a select few).

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Plenty of people focus on specific things to collect, but this is a vinyl forum, so I'm not sure why you'd expect folks here to collect cds/vhs/etc.

make no mistake -- i mainly seek out vinyl myself!  by the same token, i'd imagine that there are a fair number of "predominately vinyl" collectors here who cross the line in the sand and collect other mediums, as well (though they may not often have the proper forum (read: threads) to publicly discuss such collecting on this board)...

3 minutes ago, frutiger75 said:

nope, certainly not a malapropism, eggcorn, or (perhaps most appropriately) a misnomer of any sort.  

the term was not used with any contemplation or intended direct reference to politics (or the political landscape); i was writing circumambagiously.

in any case, suffice it to say that you're kinda acting like a douche/pedant, or, at the very least, unnecessarily snarky.

not that i'm having a difficult time understanding people's collecting habits; only pointing out that it's interesting -- based upon not only responses in this thread, but also a general survey of posts in others  -- that more people seemingly tend to collect with variety of artists in mind as opposed to honing in on one (or a select few).

Does this really surprise you though? Most people listen to more than just a select few artists on a regular basis, which you'd think would correlate to them buying music from more than a few artists. I enjoy music, but not enough to go out and spend $100-200 collecting all the variants of one band's new record, then also spend my usual amount on all the other albums I want to buy.

1 minute ago, frutiger75 said:

make no mistake -- i mainly seek out vinyl myself!  by the same token, i'd imagine that there are a fair number of "predominately vinyl" collectors here who cross the line in the sand and collect other mediums, as well (though they may not often have the proper forum (read: threads) to publicly discuss such collecting on this board)...

You sure do enjoy speaking down to people, don't you?

I'm going to avoid any circumambages and state plainly that you're coming of as pretentious and frankly, kind of a turd. That said, I'll be ignoring you from this point forward.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Does this really surprise you though? Most people listen to more than just a select few artists on a regular basis, which you'd think would correlate to them buying music from more than a few artists. I enjoy music, but not enough to go out and spend $100-200 collecting all the variants of one band's new record, then also spend my usual amount on all the other albums I want to buy.

my guess is that discretionary income is a big factor in the grand scheme of things.  perhaps maybe people simply don't want to spread themselves too thin on one artist to the point to where they're precluded from getting even standard variant issues of other artists?

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

You sure do enjoy speaking down to people, don't you?

I'm going to avoid any circumambages and state plainly that you're coming of as pretentious and frankly, kind of a turd. That said, I'll be ignoring you from this point forward.

i got snippy because i was met with douchebaggery. 

and to be quite honest, as a long time lurker, there are lot of elitist turds on here anyway, so you must be ignoring a lot of people.

Did someone use the word elitist?  My ears were ringing.

Frutiger75 is surprised people buy records from a variety of artists instead of just 2-3.

Frutiger75 rationalizes people do this because they can't budget their vinyl funds.

Frutiger75 is very fond of Thesaurus.com and uses it to try hard.

Don't be a Frutiger75.

Someone got mad he's a dummy. Thesaurus.com is obvious when the rest of your grammar is trash. Try a little harder. 

Seriously though is it really that hard to understand people listen to more than 3 artists? I actually can't believe that's an argument. I figured you meant only collect everything PLUS normally collect other records you like. You're just fucking TUG for shitty Dad rock. Yes I've guessed you like shitty Dad rock and I'm right.

Edited by Shlebs

13 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Someone got mad he's a dummy. Thesaurus.com is obvious when the rest of your grammar is trash. Try a little harder. 

Seriously though is it really that hard to understand people listen to more than 3 artists? I actually can't believe that's an argument. I figured you meant only collect everything PLUS normally collect other records you like. You're just fucking TUG for shitty Dad rock. Yes I've guessed you like shitty Dad rock and I'm right.

Jazzdad*

30 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Something of interest – in case you're like me and almost mistook both the OP and Frutiger for the same person – is that the Frut man jumped into the discussion on page 1, towards the bottom.  The lack of avatars had me thinking they were both the same new user for a moment.  No idea what Frut collects unless he's pontificated his tastes in a prior post I missed.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Frutiger75 is surprised people buy records from a variety of artists instead of just 2-3.

Frutiger75 rationalizes people do this because they can't budget their vinyl funds.

Don't be a Frutiger75.

This post is formatted weird ....

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Something of interest – in case you're like me and almost mistook both the OP and Frutiger for the same person – is that the Frut man jumped into the discussion on page 1, towards the bottom.  The lack of avatars had me thinking they were both the same new user for a moment.  No idea what Frut collects unless he's pontificated his tastes in a prior post I missed.

I thought that at first and had to double take. 

Well, this thread kind of went off-topic. I am definitely not frutiger75.

We got some good feedback here for one artist collections out there. Of course, people listen to a variety of music as opposed to only a few, but I was curious about people who have a massive collection of one artist.

Thanks to those who chimed in.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:33 AM, Korgull Of Morgoth said:

I own 123 Faith No More records and 287 Beastie Boys records. Almost no color splatter variations of the same record but mostly completly different pressings from all over the world.

Whole collection is almost 5000 pieces. Currently debating whether I sould let some 'doubles' go.

If you have FNM doubles, hit me up.

20 minutes ago, freedumb said:

I wouldn't mind except I literally have no social media or anything to upload like imgur or whatever.  VC is literally as "social" as I get and the only place I post anything. 

There's like a million websites where you can upload pics, just copy the link and paste it in here...

On 2/18/2017 at 1:27 PM, Derek™ said:

Don't be a Frutiger75.

you suffering from tinnitus?

1. i am not surprised people buy from a variety of artists; my points (and OP's inquiry) pertained to a collection largely comprised of one artist.

2. i wasn't rationalizing when making that comment, which, btw, isn't exactly a correct paraphrase of it, anyway.

3. never once have i visited thesaurus.com.

by the way, take a look in the mirror: you who puts an effin' trademark symbol next to his username.

On 2/18/2017 at 1:57 PM, Shlebs said:

i'm not on this board for discussing grammar, nitwit.  (although, upon further review of my posts in this thread, my grammar and syntax are actually quite on fleek). 

i never took the position that i (or any one else) listens to circa three artists, nor am i of the opinion that many people are out there who do that.  preposterous. oops! fragment! my sincerest apologies...

also, for clarification -- no, i've not stated what i collect...but it sure as shit ain't 'Dad rock'. i'll note, though -- not that anyone here really gives a flying fuck -- that the vast majority of my collection consists of items distributed post-2000. 

----

in other news, i've uploaded an avatar so all of you can throw shade in the proper direction.