PO: The Gun Club - In My Room

morfiend

In My Room features the unreleased recordings of what would have been the very last album of The Gun Club. Recorded in the very last period of the band, between 1991 and 1993 - the studio recordings that Jeffrey Lee Pierce did with The Gun Club, with maximum quality and excellence of sound and presentation. What Jeffrey Lee Pierce exposes here is the highest vocal and guitar performing, from sounds are reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix and Television, to truly intimate heartbreaking blues, going through soul and rock. Includes covers from The Who, Wilson Picket, and more. A dream come true for all Jeffrey Lee Pierce/The Gun Club fans all over the world - absolutely necessary. Comes in a deluxe gatefold jacket; Includes lyrics; 150 gram vinyl; Edition of 500.

PRE-ORDER HERE - http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/gun-club-the-in-my-room-lp/BANG.107LP.html

Apparently this was a bonus CD on the Lucky Jim double CD release from Flow Records, which I've never heard. Nevertheless, I want this and I just wanted to start a Gun Club thread because they were so fucking amazing and underrated. 

15 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I'd like to hear this first, but if it sticks around I will probably just buy it. Here is a doc.

Thanks for posting, didn't know that was on youtube watched it last night, had read all the written history but never watched a doc on them, it was fantastic

Yeah, I watched that documentary a few months ago, it was solid. You could tell some of the band members harbor some resentment over how out of control Jeffrey could be and how they were treated at times. Kid Congo seems like such a cool cat though, gotta check out his solo work one of these days, 

10 hours ago, morfiend said:

Yeah, I watched that documentary a few months ago, it was solid. You could tell some of the band members harbor some resentment over how out of control Jeffrey could be and how they were treated at times. Kid Congo seems like such a cool cat though, gotta check out his solo work one of these days, 

Same, I've wanted to check out his solo stuff, I need to start my Cramps collection too used to have CDs but the records aren't cheap. I think the resentment was probably somewhat justified he seemed pretty tough to work with. One of my favorite bands the most I've ever shelled out for a single record ($75) was for a NM original of Fire Of Love

10 hours ago, morfiend said:

His last 2 kid congo and pink monkey brain albums are fantastic

I saw him play a show in Dec. he hung out at the merch table talking to everyone from the time the doors opened until they went on

• 3 months later...

So, I finally tracked down a copy of this (to my amazement a local shop had this and the live album from RSD) and it's pretty solid. The quality is really good, includes some interesting covers,  reworking of a few tracks  and some other unreleased stuff that wouldn't sound out of place on Lucky Jim. For diehards only I'd say but I'm happy to have it. The live album is pretty good too.

5 hours ago, morfiend said:

So, I finally tracked down a copy of this (to my amazement a local shop had this and the live album from RSD) and it's pretty solid. The quality is really good, includes some interesting covers,  reworking of a few tracks  and some other unreleased stuff that wouldn't sound out of place on Lucky Jim. For diehards only I'd say but I'm happy to have it. The live album is pretty good too.

thanks for the review, I still need to buy both 

The reviews online seem pretty mixed so far for In My Room. A couple of online publications have been positive but a couple of discogs users were disappointed with it. I think people's expectations get too high when they see "what would've been the very last album of The Gun Club". This is a collection of unreleased tracks that are studio quality but were obviously unfinished and hardly constitute what I would consider a real album. This probably should've been released bundled with Lucky Jim like it originally was on CD to keep people's expectations in check. 

6 hours ago, morfiend said:

The reviews online seem pretty mixed so far for In My Room. A couple of online publications have been positive but a couple of discogs users were disappointed with it. I think people's expectations get too high when they see "what would've been the very last album of The Gun Club". This is a collection of unreleased tracks that are studio quality but were obviously unfinished and hardly constitute what I would consider a real album. This probably should've been released bundled with Lucky Jim like it originally was on CD to keep people's expectations in check. 

Still don't know why bang didn't do lucky jim as a 2 lp it sounds good for being 27 min a side surprisingly, but I still wonder what could have been