Visiting New Orleans! Any recommendations?

35 minutes ago, converge88 said:

Hey guys! I'm gonna be in New Orleans next week and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the best record stores, food and things to do. Thanks!!

Coop's Place for food, Louisiana Music Factory and Euclid's for records, go on a cemetery tour and go to Frenchmen Street for live music.

40 minutes ago, streetwaves said:

Coop's Place for food, Louisiana Music Factory and Euclid's for records, go on a cemetery tour and go to Frenchmen Street for live music.

Yo, definitely go to Coop's.

I'd recommend taking one of the "haunted" walking tours out of Rev Zombie's Voodoo Shop (I think). It's a fun way to see some cool buildings, walk around, and hear stories about people being murdered.

I was there this week last year and ate at a ton of amazing places. I can't remember any names because I was borderline blackout drunk most of the time. I remember 95% of the trip, but names are beyond me. If you're trying to get a beignet, don't waste your time with Cafe du Monde if there's a crazy line. I know someone who waited in line for like 2 hours, don't do that. The beignets are no better or worse anywhere else really. 

I legit gained 10lbs in NOLA. I'm tiny, so that's impressive. I don't think I ate a single meal that was even mediocre. Everything was amazing.

Verti Mart has the best po boys https://www.yelp.com/biz/verti-marte-new-orleans-2

Also made a map of places we wanted to check out/places we really liked going to from the last time we hit up NOLA, some really awesome bars there: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KMe8Bj5Vnihc8glhVgDVMwIl07I&usp=sharing

There's also a WW2 museum which is phenomenal http://www.nationalww2museum.org

Edited by roadmonkey

On 3/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

I was there this week last year and ate at a ton of amazing places. I can't remember any names because I was borderline blackout drunk most of the time. I remember 95% of the trip, but names are beyond me. If you're trying to get a beignet, don't waste your time with Cafe du Monde if there's a crazy line. I know someone who waited in line for like 2 hours, don't do that. The beignets are no better or worse anywhere else really. 

I legit gained 10lbs in NOLA. I'm tiny, so that's impressive. I don't think I ate a single meal that was even mediocre. Everything was amazing.

I couldn't fit into my only pair of nice pants I brought with for a fancy dinner on the last night. I for sure gained 10 lbs that week. 

On 3/13/2017 at 3:59 PM, converge88 said:

I'm here!! Any recommendations for the best NOLA type/Cajun food spots? Like crawfish, po boys, jambalaya etc.

Try to go to the Gumbo Shop in the FQ if you can. Best seafood Gumbo you can buy at a restaurant:

http://www.gumboshop.com/ 

This is mildly nerdy, but there is a Pharmacy Museum that is pretty cool if you're into that old apothecary type packaging and the interesting medical treatments of the nineteenth century. Also, I'm 99% certain that the courtyard out back that is used often for wedding ceremonies was used to shoot a few scenes of the second season of American Horror Story. The fountain and plants are spot on from an episode or two early on... I think it's where they buried Kathy Bates' character, but I can't remember. I think admission was five bucks. The coolest thing (to me) was seeing the prescriptions for medicinal alcohol that were issued in the 20's. Basically if you were of means you could still drink, you just had a doctor sign off on it.. same as now (or ten years ago, anyways) with weed.

Edited by mameeshkamowskwoz
Kathy Bates, not Kathleen