PO: Feist - Pleasure

Metals is so good, and easily my favorite output from her.  Eager to hear where she goes next.  I take it there's no colored variants or anything limited?  I was scouting the options over the last few days, waiting to relay some juicy pre-order information to the boards... but it looks like it's just a standard black press across the board.

And not to nitpick about the pricing, but does $29 (pre-shipping) seem kind of extravagant or is it just me?

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Metals is so good, and easily my favorite output from her.  Eager to hear where she goes next.  I take it there's no colored variants or anything limited?  I was scouting the options over the last few days, waiting to relay some juicy pre-order information to the boards... but it looks like it's just a standard black press across the board.

And not to nitpick about the pricing, but does $29 (pre-shipping) seem kind of extravagant or is it just me?

It seems extravagant indeed. Then again Feist hasn't put out a record in six years.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I get where you're coming from... but by similar logic, artists like The Avalanches or At The Drive-In could theoretically be charging $60 for their albums that break 10+ year hiatuses.

Oh, totally. I just think it makes some sort of sense. Feist has broad appeal and people have been wanting new music from her for years. Maybe more is included and it just isn't listed... or something.

1 hour ago, the industry said:

there's a limited deluxe version for $200: http://feiststore.com/pleasure/fe030003-feist-pleasure-deluxe-package/

sound stage direct has the regular version for $25 and you can get 20% off that with coupon code

Looks cool, thanks. I love Feist but I'll pass, haha.

7 hours ago, the industry said:

there's a limited deluxe version for $200: http://feiststore.com/pleasure/fe030003-feist-pleasure-deluxe-package/

sound stage direct has the regular version for $25 and you can get 20% off that with coupon code

HEADPHONES??? Has this *ever*been done? This is nuts! It's like the Metal Box for audiophiles.

I'm not in the market for one but I'll repost this in the gear thread to see if those headphones are as good as the ad copy claims.

8 hours ago, moonshiner said:

Oh, totally. I just think it makes some sort of sense. Feist has broad appeal and people have been wanting new music from her for years. Maybe more is included and it just isn't listed... or something.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that there are some details being withheld, like a fancy gatefold or maybe an included oversized booklet that documents some songwriting and what she's been up to for the last 6 years.  Bull Moose has it priced at $28 and change, too, and they're usually the bottom-of-the-barrel for pricing, and come through with the biggest savings.  I know it's only a few bucks over the "norm" for a double LP these days ($23.99, $24.99) but it's just another little nudge towards the new standard of $30 records, pre shipping.

7 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

It's her first double LP, hence the price.

Occam's Razor, folks. It's an 800-year old classic for a reason.

That... doesn't really make sense?  I don't want to get in an argument in the thread, but I'm not sure I follow the line of reasoning here.  I fully expect the MSRP to outweigh her prior albums, which were all single LPs, but I don't think there's a universal price spike for specific albums that pop an artist's double-LP cherry... is there?  Have I just been oblivious this whole time?

7 hours ago, the industry said:

That SSD link is a gem with the coupon and savings.  What's the coupon again?  Apologies if it's been posted already and I'm looking right over it.

5 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

I'll repost this in the gear thread to see if those headphones are as good as the ad copy claims.

They're not.

Okay, that's probably unfair to assume.  But considering the price point – and as someone who did some homework on headphones fairly recently – I can tell you that you can get some very respectable entry-level cans for far less than those are marked up.  Just considering what the bundle is priced at and how much of your money is going towards the novelty of it, I'd only suggest them to a diehard Feist collector before anyone who's in the market for new headphones and also happens to be a Feist fan.  I imagine they'll sound better than Beats By Dre. and Apple ear buds, but I can't see them being audiophile-ready.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

...but I don't think there's a universal price spike for specific albums that pop an artist's double-LP cherry... is there?  Have I just been oblivious this whole time?

Guh? Just meant this one would be more expensive than the others. I'm pretty sure those PO prices will go down closer to release date.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They're not.

Okay, that's probably unfair to assume.  But considering the price point – and as someone who did some homework on headphones fairly recently – I can tell you that you can get some very respectable entry-level cans for far less than those are marked up.  Just considering what the bundle is priced at and how much of your money is going towards the novelty of it, I'd only suggest them to a diehard Feist collector before anyone who's in the market for new headphones and also happens to be a Feist fan.  I imagine they'll sound better than Beats By Dre. and Apple ear buds, but I can't see them being audiophile-ready.

How would they fare compared to Grado 60s?

35 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

Guh? Just meant this one would be more expensive than the others. I'm pretty sure those PO prices will go down closer to release date.

How would they fare compared to Grado 60s?

Sorry, I was comparing the $29 tag to other pre-orders for double LPs, across the board.  The way I read your first post, I was under the impression you were sympathizing with the MSRP because it was her first 2xLP – as if artists are given one green light to charge whatever they see fit, the first time they break their mold and release an album long enough to be pressed onto two pieces of wax in a gatefold.  I'm not griping about the $29 price being steeper than her prior albums – single LPs – sold at $17, or $20, or whatever.  I was grumbling because there's nothing that'd suggest the packaging is any more elaborate or costly than recently produced, beautiful gatefolds that sell for $20.

Having never used Grados myself, but reading a fair bit... I can tell you right off the bat that the Feistphones are probably more comfortable, haha.  The headphones offered in the bundle appear to be closed, so you're getting a whole different sound signature and experience than those open-back Grados.  If it were me, personally, and I was after an open-air / open-back set of cans... those Grados would get the job done, and I'd probably opt to buy those, the standard LP – maybe from Soundstage if it's around $20 after the coupon – and then pocket the difference.  I'm not sure what the shipping is on top of that $200 bundle but I bet it can't be cheap.

I will say that the wood finish on those Fiest cans are nice, though.  I've never owned a pair of "wood" headphones but I always thought they looked pretty classy.

Edited by Derek™

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest Online Vinyl Retailer in Switzerland has to different Versions of "Pleasure" up for Pre-Order:

- Pleasure - Limited Edition (2LP)
- Pleasure (2LP)

https://www.cede.ch/de/music/?view=detail&branch_sub=0&id=1403350&branch=1

Wonder what the difference might be? This Promo campaign has been a bit messy so far. Sent an E-Mail to this Retailer, maybe they can provide some Information.

• 1 month later...

Only listened once while driving. To me, its art first, music second. You can tell she didn't want anything like "1234", this album is for her.  Vocals a bit buried. Super strong singing/harmonies, as you'd expect. I liked the album more as it progressed. Man/song and Not Running are my most memorable.  It deserves more of my time.