Guitar stolen... Anyone have experience with UPS theft?

So... I just bought a baritone jazzmaster. I got it shipped to work and it showed up in myUPS as delivered on my day off so I wasn't there to sign for it, but I swung by anyway because I was excited. I walked into my office and sitting there is a fender box that has clearly been cut in half and re-taped, no guitar, but there was a mangled box of keurig k-cups shoved inside. I reached out to the company I bought it from and they are opening a claim with UPS. Have any of you ever been through something like this with UPS before? I don't really know what to do other than wait, but if anyone has any advice as to what I can do to help my case, I'm all ears...

some pics for reference:

EZIecyK.jpg

OClCeg3.jpg

6LSQMgp.jpg

why doesnt the seal go all the way around the box...obviously you could still tear it open through the side, but the open part looks perfectly sealable.

i guess it should have a weight from when it was shipped and that weight should determine whether something guitar-ish was inside at that time...someone at UPS stole your guitar sounds like

edit: now i see how comically small the box looks.  not very subtle, thieves

Edited by shamrocks

21 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 1.13.34 AM

who signed for it?

Yea that seal was not broken at all. Package was cut straight in half and re-taped with clear packing tape. I'm guessing there was a similar seal on the other end of the box wherever that may be. It's probably not broken either. The young woman who works at the front desk signed for it, but I can't be mad at her, I'm guessing she's making close to minimum wage and she signs for about a million boxes a day. She said we've never had an incident like this before so I'm sure she's not being hyper vigilant with every box coming into the place. 

Edit: the question isn't whether or not someone at ups stole my guitar, that's pretty evident.  My question is, does anyone have experience with this and what is my best course of action? 

Edited by atticus

Did someone at the office do it? Does your office have keurig machines? Did they grab something from the break room to stuff in there?.... but why? whats the point? Why not take the whole box or just leave it empty? 

Wait, UPS has to have done it so the weight remained in the the same ballpark as to not set off any red flags in the shipping process.  Or so the box didn't get more visually crushed int he middle? I guess those are the only logical reasons someone would stuff something else into the box. Has to have happened in the shipping process. UPS's fault. Or it was a crack head in your office and all logic is out the window.

4 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Looks like a fellow employee duped ya.

Did you ask the front desk is the package had any weight to it when she signed for it?

Are there any security cameras at work?

I certainly hope not, I work at a church haha. Although I concede there are certainly shitty people who work in churches too, but I feel like I know everyone who would have had access to the package well enough to know that none of them would have done it. We have keycard access to the production area where my office is  for this very reason, trying to minimize the tendency for expensive equipment grow legs and walk off.  

The package weight was supposed to be 12lbs. She said it came like that, she would have remembered having to carry a 12lb package to my office. We do have security cameras in the front so that's the next order of business tomorrow morning. 

5 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Friend of mine had an issue with a UPS package stolen from her porch recently. They opened an "investigation" and closed it after a week because the driver refused to participate (which apparently they're allowed to do). 

I am hoping that since it isn't an issue of the package going missing after delivery and is rather a very blatant theft before the item was delivered, the investigation won't be optional. There are touch points at every step along the way so somebody knows something and I hope they will be able to get to the bottom of this quickly. 

3 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

You work at a church and as you said they get many shipments a day?

I am curious what a church is receiving on a daily basis

Not only that, but a church with a receptionist[?] that features a back studio / office, locked by keycard.  OP doesn't owe an explanation and we're just being nosey, but my curiosity is sparked for sure.  It sounds like it may be some Mormon level shit.

I hope things get resolved and the guitar is found or fully refunded, though.  I'm sure it wasn't a cheap purchase and I'd be pretty crushed if I were in a similar situation.

Edited by Derek™

On March 19, 2017 at 4:17 PM, youspinmeround said:

You work at a church and as you said they get many shipments a day?

I am curious what a church is receiving on a daily basis

I mean, we have a daycare, a preschool, a kitchen that feeds a bunch of people during the week, different groups that get together on most every day of the week, as well as a staff with different departments that all order stuff all the time. I would say UPS comes 2-3 times a day, FedEx once, USPS, and then any vendor shipments coming in (Maintenance supplies, kitchen supplies, school supplies, janitorial supplies, etc). It's a busy place.  

On March 19, 2017 at 7:28 PM, vinyl addict said:

If the package is "signed for",isn't that claiming that the item was received? 

Or is this something UPS  will normally easily side with you on?

I mean, like I said, the lady who signed for it had no way of knowing that it was supposed to be a guitar and especially if it came in with a bunch of stuff that required signatures I guarantee the driver dropped it all of, said "sign here" and hurried on his way. 

On March 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Derek™ said:

Not only that, but a church with a receptionist[?] that features a back studio / office, locked by keycard.  OP doesn't owe an explanation and we're just being nosey, but my curiosity is sparked for sure.  It sounds like it may be some Mormon level shit.

I hope things get resolved and the guitar is found or fully refunded, though.  I'm sure it wasn't a cheap purchase and I'd be pretty crushed if I were in a similar situation.

Haha thanks, its been a frustrating ordeal so far. Adorama's customer service department hasn't been very helpful.

And I certainly don't mind explaining.. I guess it can sound crazy if you don't have a reason to know about this kind of thing. Much like other places of employment, there are big ones and small ones. The one I work at is a Methodist church, kind of a large church, but not crazy. 

We do have a receptionist (I think most churches have that) and we do have keycard access areas for a couple of reasons. The first is because of the preschool we have, they have some kind of national accreditation and one of the certification requirements is a certain level of security. The other reason is because of incidents we have had in the past with some of the more aggressive members of our homeless community trying to take things or getting violent. 

We do a lot of in house production (audio, videos, graphics) for week to week stuff as well as bigger events. There is also a band, an orchestra and a choir and so all of that equipment is just secured during the week to be safe. 

6 minutes ago, atticus said:

Haha thanks, its been a frustrating ordeal so far. Adorama's customer service department hasn't been very helpful.

And I certainly don't mind explaining.. I guess it can sound crazy if you don't have a reason to know about this kind of thing. Much like other places of employment, there are big ones and small ones. The one I work at is a Methodist church, kind of a large church, but not crazy. 

We do have a receptionist (I think most churches have that) and we do have keycard access areas for a couple of reasons. The first is because of the preschool we have, they have some kind of national accreditation and one of the certification requirements is a certain level of security. The other reason is because of incidents we have had in the past with some of the more aggressive members of our homeless community trying to take things or getting violent. 

We do a lot of in house production (audio, videos, graphics) for week to week stuff as well as bigger events. There is also a band, an orchestra and a choir and so all of that equipment is just secured during the week to be safe. 

Nice, I kind of know what you're getting at – not specifically a Methodist church, but there's a fairly big one north of where I live, and they do a lot of social events throughout the week and have their own band, etc.

That being said, did you have any developments on the case of your missing guitar?  It's been a few days and I'm sure these things take time to resolve, but hopefully you have a bit more direction than when you first created the thread, by now.