Isolation Platforms

I've been doing some homework on isolation platforms as it seems relatively important to have something underneath your turntable. 

I don't want to make one (I've read the old threads in here about how to do it) and would also like to spend less then what the Ginkgo Audio Cloud 11 costs (even though that platform looks SWEET).

I need something functional, cost effective and also appealing to the eye - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

D

Some people like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Acoustics-ISO-Tone-Turntable-Isolation/dp/B00SZ3J4IS

Ive not used one, as I found a decent isolation platform on Craigslist a few years back that has three inner tubes in it that I like a lot. 

Depending on the size of your turntable, it looks like there is a 15" X 15" one made for subwoofers also available a little cheaper. Just google it.

One of my buddies, as a cheap and effective method, ended up filling a cardboard box with shredded jean material (found at THD/Lowes) and then wrapping said box with matte black vinyl. Longest part of the whole thing was lining up the edges to be seamless, but he's a neat freak. It's not 100% effective since it takes a lot of damping energy to completely eliminate LF transmission, but it's noticeably better than not having a stand at all.

I've also considered just using tennis balls on each of my turntable's legs, but that seems a bit cheap/corny to me. Still, it should serve the same benefit of decoupling your turntable from its resting surface.

Edited by neo_styles

Luckily for me I'm a fan of suspended sub chassis tables so find I never really need any extra isolation but I have found half squash balls also work and look a bit better than half tennis balls, as a cheap and effective solution a sheet of glass, wood , MDF or better still thick perspex on three half squash balls can work very well as an isolator between your turntable and furniture.

Also a proper equipment stand with isolating shelves and feet rather than a lot of the furniture I see people use will also give good results although a lot of furniture can benefit from some form of isolation between it and the floor, although convenient using your Expedit as a hifi stand isn't the best way forward though.

3 hours ago, allenh said:

Luckily for me I'm a fan of suspended sub chassis tables so find I never really need any extra isolation but I have found half squash balls also work and look a bit better than half tennis balls, as a cheap and effective solution a sheet of glass, wood , MDF or better still thick perspex on three half squash balls can work very well as an isolator between your turntable and furniture.

Also a proper equipment stand with isolating shelves and feet rather than a lot of the furniture I see people use will also give good results although a lot of furniture can benefit from some form of isolation between it and the floor, although convenient using your Expedit as a hifi stand isn't the best way forward though.

I ended up going with some isolation pads from Soundstage Direct - http://www.soundstagedirect.com/isol-pad-set-of-4-audio-accessories.shtml

They seem like a great placeholder and solution for the interim.

9 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

4 isolation "pads" does not make an isolation platform, though they should help.

What is your turntable sitting on?

Yeah - It's not ideal but after spending a few grand on my TT and cart I need to slow my spending down.  It seems like a good balance for the time being.

tumblr_on6q4ktAnq1vt0iqbo2_1280.jpg

Another way to attack the problem is to vibration isolation the speakers against the floor. (If no vibration from the speakers find its way to the TT then that problem solved) 

Of course you still can vibration isolate the TT..

By taking out the vibrations at the source as the speakers generate them have also more benefits. Like that less distorted base sound travel in your build construction. Some say that the speakers also sounds better when they are vibration isolate from it's suroundings...

In other words do not just stare at the TT. The vibrations are coming from somewhere and maybe you need to fix the source..

Inspiration:

A intuitive video..

For the time being I am settling with a maple cutting board (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KN6JH0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

As well as some of these http://www.soundstagedirect.com/isol-pad-set-of-4-audio-accessories.shtml

I'll post after they come in to see if I notice any difference

Edited by drewvandal