Iron Maiden Reissues!

Hey there guys, bit of a thread revival!

Really glad to hear the pressings of the "more recent" albums are great, however has anyone experience with the reissues of the 80's catalogue? Would anyone be able to draw comparison to the original pressings? I've read on various corners of the internet they don't have the same energy or depth as the originals, namely Powerslave and Seventh Son; my collection would primarily be focused on obtaining pressings from back in the day but in a bid to support such a great band I'd like to throw them money (*more money beyond tickets and tees over the years) and get a great experience from a reissue.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2 hours ago, Sight_Sound_Stuff said:

Hey there guys, bit of a thread revival!

Really glad to hear the pressings of the "more recent" albums are great, however has anyone experience with the reissues of the 80's catalogue? Would anyone be able to draw comparison to the original pressings? I've read on various corners of the internet they don't have the same energy or depth as the originals, namely Powerslave and Seventh Son; my collection would primarily be focused on obtaining pressings from back in the day but in a bid to support such a great band I'd like to throw them money (*more money beyond tickets and tees over the years) and get a great experience from a reissue.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I'm not a ton of help, but I've heard the same, that the 80s albums are not as nice sounding as the older presses. I haven't bothered picking up these reissues to compare though, as I've got originals up to FOTD.

You should avoid "The number of the beast" - compared to my dutch copy from the 80's it pales. The new press on 180 gram vinyl sound really compressed and drained of energy compared to my 80s copy. I'm not familiar with represses of the later 80's stuff but hearing "TNOTB" made me think that I'll just settle with my old copies. 

On the other hand the repress of "Brave New World" sounds fine.

5 hours ago, larshj said:

You should avoid "The number of the beast" - compared to my dutch copy from the 80's it pales. The new press on 180 gram vinyl sound really compressed and drained of energy compared to my 80s copy. I'm not familiar with represses of the later 80's stuff but hearing "TNOTB" made me think that I'll just settle with my old copies. 

On the other hand the repress of "Brave New World" sounds fine.

Thanks very much for the insight; glad to have confirmation! I've heard the issue is the 80' catalogue for these remastered releases were mastered from the 1998 CD remaster, but that could well be wrong...I'm certainly going to steer clear of them as I've heard nothing but poor feedback.

2 hours ago, Sight_Sound_Stuff said:

Thanks very much for the insight; glad to have confirmation! I've heard the issue is the 80' catalogue for these remastered releases were mastered from the 1998 CD remaster, but that could well be wrong...I'm certainly going to steer clear of them as I've heard nothing but poor feedback.

When I was looking for legit playback info and reviews of sound quality on these guys I hit the Steve Hoffman forums. You might check them out if you want more info, those guys are something else.

2 hours ago, Battra said:

Am I the only one who doesn't consider a re-press unless I can't get an OG copy?

And if I have an OG, I don't "upgrade."

Nah, I'm with you on that.

Sometimes if an OG is extremely expensive and a repress comes along I grab it, but it's not often.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:02 AM, Ishtar said:

Nah, I'm with you on that.

Sometimes if an OG is extremely expensive and a repress comes along I grab it, but it's not often.

Wow. Reading my post I see that I didn't explain at all what I wanted to...damn sometimes I go too quickly and screw the pooch.

I meant, am I the only one who doesn't buy multiple versions of things...meaning I buy whichever version is available to me at the best price. I have a 2013(?) Rhino Pressing of Black Sabbath eponymous...I won't be buying another version of that...ever because why? I got one already. :)

27 minutes ago, Battra said:

Wow. Reading my post I see that I didn't explain at all what I wanted to...damn sometimes I go too quickly and screw the pooch.

I meant, am I the only one who doesn't buy multiple versions of things...meaning I buy whichever version is available to me at the best price. I have a 2013(?) Rhino Pressing of Black Sabbath eponymous...I won't be buying another version of that...ever because why? I got one already. :)

Ahhhh. I'm still somewhat with you on that.

I'll usually try for an OG pressing if I can manage one and the price is comparable to the reissue. I'm definitely not a buy multiples kind of guy for most records.

5 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Ahhhh. I'm still somewhat with you on that.

I'll usually try for an OG pressing if I can manage one and the price is comparable to the reissue. I'm definitely not a buy multiples kind of guy for most records.

There would have to be a very significant reason to buy a new (or old) version of something I already have.

This isn't something I'm trying to use to accumulate wealth. The value to me is does the LP look cool and does the music coming out of it make me happy in pants?

That's all.

I'm still pissed at myself for cheaping out on a splatter vs merge LP though....but as I can't remember which one it was....I guess it's all good now. :D

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Battra said:

Still waiting to hear when the next batch is getting popped.....

Specifically... Maiden England '88

Have you heard rumblings of this? I just assumed that since they were out of studio stuff to reissue they were probably done.

I'd love to be wrong so folks can get their hands on what they're looking for, I'm just doubtful unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Have you heard rumblings of this? I just assumed that since they were out of studio stuff to reissue they were probably done.

I'd love to be wrong so folks can get their hands on what they're looking for, I'm just doubtful unfortunately.

I've heard nothing, but I'm holding out hope!

We got En Vivo, Rock In Rio though and that makes me hopeful.

• 1 month later...

Got my Maiden tickets. It was definitely worth joining the fan club, but it was really confusing to figure out how to actually get good seats. For some reason my laptop wasn't allowing me to get my seats, but my phone worked. You always need to have contingency plans when buying tickets. Thanks to @MetalMike for alerting me about the sale.

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Got my Maiden tickets. It was definitely worth joining the fan club, but it was really confusing to figure out how to actually get good seats. For some reason my laptop wasn't allowing me to get my seats, but my phone worked. You always need to have contingency plans when buying tickets. Thanks to @MetalMike for alerting me about the sale.

Crazy buying tix for a show 8 months away, but Maiden tour kickoff in my backyard?

Yes please!

11 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Not a fanclub member, but if anyone is feeling generous and can send me the code for Portland, OR I'd be super grateful.

I would, but I used up my 4 ticket allotment trying to get the best pair. I tried again to get even better seats and it shut me down.