Run Out Groove Vinyl: Warner Music Fan-Driven Vinyl-Only Label - Official Thread

On 3/29/2017 at 11:36 PM, natenomm said:

Having an A side and D side at 9 minutes or less is an interesting pressing decision.

To be fair, a required break to flip the record is probably appropriate to recover from "First Wave Intact" and prepare for "Sad and Lonely". 

• 4 months later...

• 2 months later...

I did get the Stooges-the packaging is super well done, the vinyl color looks great, the audio quality is excellent, the material itself is so so. I know it would be utterly pointless for this boutique label to simply press Fun House itself, but this outtake compilation doesn't hold a candle to the actual album, despite being portrayed as such.

I also own the MC5 compilation (decent, some sound issues on side A-seems to be source material rather than pressing related), and the Secret Machines album (outstanding all around-ROGV's best release by FAR). The physical aspect (packaging and the vinyl itself) of all three that I own are phenomenal-a lot of care has been put into the presentation of these releases. But I have say that I feel slightly disappointed by the MC5 and Stooges releases in terms of material.

I haven't bought anything else because nothing else appeals to my tastes, and that also applies to the ballots as well-I don't vote most times because none of the choices appeal to me.

I guess that's my whole dichotomy with the ROGV experiment as a whole-it's both a success and a failure, both satisfactory and disappointing.

Their entire approach just feels off to me. Way to genre focused for my tastes (LOTS of soul and 70's rock on the ballots, whereas I think they could make a KILLING raiding the vaults on 90's and early 2000's stuff that's never been on vinyl before), very compilation and live album focused (only three of the 10 albums issued are full length studio albums), and they seem to push titles that they want more heavily (they've had the Meic Stevens on the ballot for the past 2 or 3 rounds, and there was another title (which I can't remember) that went through 2-3 rounds of voting and never even got voted in). The ballots should be a fresh slate of titles each time, as I see it.

I voted for Ministry this time around, but even that is a disappointment because it's not even the full Greatest Fits compilation-it's a 1LP distillation (13 tracks on the CD, 8 tracks on the proposed LP). So rather than offer up Filth Pig (random example) or another full length studio album by Ministry, we get a compilation that's then further distilled from the CD version (I voted before knowing this because I though it to be a convenient way to get most of Ministry's best tracks from that era on wax. Probably would've voted for Fear had I dug a little deeper). Meanwhile the Meic Stevens is an "expanded" 2LP version. Very, very weak.

I'll buy either Ministry (I still dig the selected tracks) or Fear (even if Lee Ving is an idiot) if they get voted in, but given how hard they are pushing for Meic Stevens, I would not be surprised if that gets the nod.

Yeah, ROGV, very hit or miss. But do know that if it is a title that you know you would like, you are very likely to get an extremely high quality product both in packaging and audio (MC5 notwithstanding). 

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Juliana Hatfield’s Only Everything is in the ballot for the next pressing. I implore you to vote for it. 

http://runoutgroovevinyl.com/juliana-hatfield-only-everything.html?eml=2018June8/4342278/6416261&etsubid=116397878

Voted! I thought that given their involvement with JH at the moment (Hey Babe reissue etc.), American Laundromat might get this one. Braced for a pretty steep price though (and I'll bet they don't get to record stores over here).

11 hours ago, ExtraFox said:

Voted! I thought that given their involvement with JH at the moment (Hey Babe reissue etc.), American Laundromat might get this one. Braced for a pretty steep price though (and I'll bet they don't get to record stores over here).

Thought the same re: American Laundromat, but if ROG wants to do it fine by me. Heck, I’d probably vote for this even if I didn’t actually want it because I wonder if a really good response to this might convince them to focus on all the unpressed/foreign pressed early alternative rock releases that should pretty obviously be their focus, as others have observed. Such a goldmine of that period of albums that middle aged suckers like me can’t resist scooping up. 

• 1 month later...

Happy for Hatfield, but worried it'll get a shitty colour treatment. (White for Lunafied is soooo boring).

Hard to choose between Better Than Ezra or Green On Red but tbh I barely know either band that much. But it's cool that the less-talked-about 90s grunge albums are being reissued. Keep hoping for a Material (re)Issue  campaign myself.

1 hour ago, arumajiro 零 一つ said:

Happy for Hatfield, but worried it'll get a shitty colour treatment. (White for Lunafied is soooo boring).

Hard to choose between Better Than Ezra or Green On Red but tbh I barely know either band that much. But it's cool that the less-talked-about 90s grunge albums are being reissued. Keep hoping for a Material (re)Issue  campaign myself.

The Green in Red album is rad but still super available used last I checked. 

• 5 weeks later...

They did a stellar job on Now Here Is Nowhere by Secret Machines, and now Ten Silver Drops has a chance to be pressed as well.

Vote my friends, VOTE. 

Also, the email said if this title gets pressed, expect a little something that will delight fans.  The band has been teasing studio stuff, so I know a new album is on the way (reworked unreleased album, at least)

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/product/ten-silver-drops-23531?eml=2018August9/4392179/6416261&etsubid=5323878

4 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

They did a stellar job on Now Here Is Nowhere by Secret Machines, and now Ten Silver Drops has a chance to be pressed as well.

Vote my friends, VOTE. 

Also, the email said if this title gets pressed, expect a little something that will delight fans.  The band has been teasing studio stuff, so I know a new album is on the way (reworked unreleased album, at least)

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/product/ten-silver-drops-23531?eml=2018August9/4392179/6416261&etsubid=5323878

I'll have to revisit Ten Silver Drops.  It kind of gets the "Second Coming" by Stone Roses treatment by most in that it's perceived to be a big letdown from a great debut album (then again, I kind of prefer "Second Coming" to their debut, don't @ me). 

12 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I'll have to revisit Ten Silver Drops.  It kind of gets the "Second Coming" by Stone Roses treatment by most in that it's perceived to be a big letdown from a great debut album (then again, I kind of prefer "Second Coming" to their debut, don't @ me). 

I love TSD. It's not as strong as Now Here is Nowhere, but it has it's defining moments ( All At Once [It's Not Important], I Hate Pretending, Faded Lines, 1000 Seconds). To me though, the self titled is one of their best releases. I hope that they do a repress of that because my copy sounds like ass. 

18 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

Vote my friends, VOTE. 

I hope they press it and then Amazon ends up selling a bunch of copies for 10 bucks again like they did with Now Here is Nowhere. 

3 hours ago, ntslash said:

I hope they press it and then Amazon ends up selling a bunch of copies for 10 bucks again like they did with Now Here is Nowhere. 

This might be the only way I would buy it.  I actually found an original pressing in a local shop for $10 a few years ago.   While the tip on sleeve and bonuses sound enticing I don't think this is an album I feel the need to own multiple copies.  

4 hours ago, ntslash said:

Technicality here, but it was actually a 3rd party seller (CCMusic) who were selling it on Amazon at the low price. I suspect it's a one off anomaly as at the same time as it was cheap on Amazon, it was the normal price on their other platforms.

• jhulud changed the title to Run Out Groove Vinyl: Warner Music Fan-Driven Vinyl-Only Label - Official Thread