The Juliana Theory - Emotion is Dead (PO-ish)

4 hours ago, hookups96 said:

$117 for the VIP ticket and Vinyl. Guess I’ll sit this one out and spin my original pressing that night. 

How does that og press sound?  I’m always looking for a copy, but it always looked like it wouldn’t sound good (if that makes any sense).

5 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

Déjà vu. I'll believe it when it actually happens.

This may actually happen since T&N/Unoriginal recently pressed those 3 Slick Shoes albums

3 hours ago, curator said:

How does that og press sound?  I’m always looking for a copy, but it always looked like it wouldn’t sound good (if that makes any sense).

Yeah, it's that grey-purple garbage marble. I have a test of it, and I don't remember it sounding bad, but my receiver is on the fritz, so I can't do a comparison. I did just pull it out and the dead wax etching is a hoot.

A: 'Papa Jeremy, cousin Chuck, the Greensburg Five don't give a...'

B: 'Big smiles everyone... and, oh yeah... the Pens rule!'

yeah, the OG is grey/purple garbage marble. It doesn't sound like garbage (not like the piece of shit Music From Another Room presses that ETR did...), but it's not that great either. I wouldn't pay a ton of money for it, unless you have a completist fetish.

LOL, same etchings in my copy.

Edited by throwgncpr

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Oblivions said:

Why are they charging only $40? Do all the copies have corner dings?

Ha, yeah. All those prices are crazy, but have I wanted 'Emotion is Dead' on vinyl forever, so I went with the $40 version. I have always wanted the OG, but was never willing to pay the $80+ resale price on Discogs.

15 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Ha, yeah. All those prices are crazy, but have I wanted 'Emotion is Dead' on vinyl forever, so I went with the $40 version. I have always wanted the OG, but was never willing to pay the $80+ resale price on Discogs.

It makes sense, especially if factories are charging higher due to COVID-19. It’s just a bummer when it’s a release that you’d buy in a heartbeat for $20.

20 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

It’s just a bummer when it’s a release that you’d buy in a heartbeat for $20.

Put it into 2020 record buying/reselling context: if you know it’ll be gone by tomorrow, or Friday(I’m guessing it will). By next week it’ll be going for $80+ and it probably won’t drop in price, unless you score one from someone pricing to sell(which could take months or years). If you want it and don’t want to “regret” not owning the record, or pay even more, there’s some sound logic to pull the trigger on almost any record. Or don’t and just bitch about a $40 2xLP of a 20 year old record that’s only been pressed once 🤷

Edited by MyEnemy

18 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

It makes sense, especially if factories are charging higher due to COVID-19. It’s just a bummer when it’s a release that you’d buy in a heartbeat for $20.

Yeah, totally, As I spent the $49 (total including tax and shipping), I definitely thought to myself, "Do I want this bad enough that I want it instead of 2 or 3 other new records?" For this record, that was a yes. The new Sufjan and Fiona Apple albums were both around $30 or a 2-LP, but I did get free shipping an no tax. And then I haven't bought the latest Avett Brothers album yet because I don't want to pay the $40-something. Any time I pay more than $25 for a record (including tax, shipping, etc.), I always question myself and hesitate during the checkout process.

1 minute ago, MyEnemy said:

Put it into 2020 record buying/reselling context: if you know it’ll be gone by tomorrow, or Friday(I’m guessing it will). By next week it’ll be going for $80+ and it probably won’t drop in price, unless you score one from someone pricing to sell(which could take months or years). If you want it and don’t want to “regret” not owning the record, or pay even more, there’s some sound logic to pull the trigger on almost any record. 🤷

Yeah, I've got some Stavesacre Speakeasy regrets because, goddamn, $40 is ridiculous for a 2xLP.

28 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Put it into 2020 record buying/reselling context: if you know it’ll be gone by tomorrow, or Friday(I’m guessing it will). By next week it’ll be going for $80+ and it probably won’t drop in price, unless you score one from someone pricing to sell(which could take months or years). If you want it and don’t want to “regret” not owning the record, or pay even more, there’s some sound logic to pull the trigger on almost any record. Or don’t and just bitch about a $40 2xLP of a 20 year old record that’s only been pressed once 🤷

I don’t have the energy or motivation to go full VC bro, so, sadly, the best I can do is make 1-2 posts in a row noting the significant bump in prices lately.

3 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

I don’t have the energy or motivation to go full VC bro, so, sadly, the best I can do is make 1-2 posts in a row noting the significant bump in prices lately.

I definitely do feel you on that. I, personally, know what it’s like to run a record label and have to bump your prices, for LPs, from $14 to $18-$20.

But yeah, I don’t wanna really get into it either. I don’t, necessarily, care about paying what I do for records. Even if it’s a $20 four song EP. If it’s something I want, I shell out. Nothings going to change the fact that prices have and will go up. If you don’t want to pay that much, don’t. If you miss out, you miss out. Simple as...

Just now, MyEnemy said:

I definitely do feel you on that. I, personally, know what it’s like to run a record label and have to bump your prices, for LPs, from $14 to $18-$20.

But yeah, I don’t wanna really get into it either. I don’t, necessarily, care about paying what I do for records. Even if it’s a $20 four song EP. If it’s something I want, I shell out. Nothings going to change the fact that prices have and will go up. If you don’t want to pay that much, don’t. If you miss out, you miss out. Simple as...

I may be more curious than frustrated. I’d love it if there was an article or blog that broke down the economics of vinyl, production costs & retail prices, over the last few months.
Anecdotally, it feels like there has been a significant bump in prices, larger than I can remember over the last 6-7 years. I’ve seen more pre-orders go for $30+ and also more pre-orders that stagger prices to match the exclusivity of the variant. It feels like a combination of production costs going up and artists/labels being more savvy about acknowledging and combating the secondary market. But I obviously don’t know and there may not be an actual trend.

I’m also curious what happens if the USPS shuts down or gets privatized. I had a label owner tell me that if the USPS gets privatized and media mail goes away, indie labels are done. I don’t know if most musicians and label owners are prescient enough to bump their prices in anticipation of a huge roadblock like that happening. But these are the thoughts that swirl in my head when I see a $40 Juliana Theory and post a dumb comment about the price.

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

Keep in mind Tooth & Nail has to license all of their back catalog from Capitol. It's likely close to an additional $10/unit extra. 

Yeah, and that probably explains why Unoriginal Vinyl generally only presses a couple hundred copies, which then drives up production costs. It's quite the ouroboros.

25 minutes ago, Wasda Deelwifkramer said:

20th anniversary pressing limited to 546 copies. 

https://merchnow.com/products/v2/315562/emotion-is-dead-red-and-blue

did you find it strange that this thread was already bumped and people were talking about the price of the very link you just posted? lol