VC General Guidelines and Not-So FAQ *** READ BEFORE POSTING FOR THE FIRST TIME! ***

This is a pretty open community and resource for music listeners and record collector nerds.

Here are some Guidelines and “Rules” if you’re coming in as a newbie or even the more pretentious asshole regulars.

• VC is not a “what is this record worth?” kinda place. Take those queries and research to Disccogs and eBay. Not here.

• Looking for info on that "rare" album you found at your parent's basement? There's a thread dedicated to that type of stuff. Post your queries there. Don't create a new thread asking info about that shitty Beatles record you found at Goodwill.

• Ask a dumb question…and that’s subjective…and expect to get ridiculed and ribbed and flamed especially with plenty of gifs. Don’t take it too personal as it’s only in the Internet.

• Be courteous and respectful towards others and each other. We all have different tastes in music and how we choose to spend our money on THE HOBBY!!!

• Don’t like it? Don’t buy it.

• If you act like an asshole to others, expect to be suspended and/or banned without any warning.

• Trolls will not be fed for long. We’ll have some fun at your expense at first but it’ll all be over once it’s not funny anymore.

• If you don’t have any plans to be a constructive and contributing member of this community…just move on. No deadwood here.

• Your favorite band/artist announced a new album? Great! Don't start a "PO SOON" thread unless there's any solid & legit info on a vinyl release. Get hyped about the release on the EE board. Don't clutter the main board yet.

• This isn't a forum for 'witch hunts'. If you have a personal issue with a band, artist, label, or individual please don't attempt to use VC as a personal army.

• Please do not 'Jr. Mod' the boards. Spamming a thread with demands that an user be banned or suspended is not helpful. Using the Report system is the best way to make sure the staff sees and deals with an issue accordingly.

• Have fun and enjoy the music. And records. And cassettes.

• jhulud pinned this topic

Great list!

Possible edit: Don't like it?  Don't buy it. Don't cast judgement on those who do. (i.e. We can all waste our money as we see fit)

Considerations: Bootlegs, Flippage/Halo.2 behavior/bravado/bragging, and some plea to contribute to the community before asking for something (we all look at post counts...a first post of "hey, can someone buy me ABC from XYZ" isn't a great way to introduce yourself)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • jhulud featured this topic
On 4/18/2017 at 5:18 PM, jhulud said:

Here are some Guidelines and “Rules” if you’re coming in as a newbie or even the more pretentious asshole regulars.

• VC is not a “what is this record worth?” kinda place. Take those queries and research to Disccogs and eBay. Not here.

• Looking for info on that "rare" album you found at your parent's basement? There's a thread dedicated to that type of stuff. Post your queries there. Don't create a new thread asking info about that shitty Beatles record you found at Goodwill.

• Ask a dumb question…and that’s subjective…and expect to get ridiculed and ribbed and flamed especially with plenty of gifs. Don’t take it too personal as it’s only in the Internet.

• Be courteous and respectful towards others and each other. We all have different tastes in music and how we choose to spend our money on THE HOBBY!!!

• Don’t like it? Don’t buy it.

• If you act like an asshole to others, expect to be suspended and/or banned without any warning.

• Trolls will not be fed for long. We’ll have some fun at your expense at first but it’ll all be over once it’s not funny anymore.

• If you don’t have any plans to be a constructive and contributing member of this community…just move on. No deadwood here.

• Your favorite band/artist announced a new album? Great! Don't start a "PO SOON" thread unless there's any solid & legit info on a vinyl release. Get hyped about the release on the EE board. Don't clutter the main board yet.

• This isn't a forum for 'witch hunts'. If you have a personal issue with a band, artist, label, or individual please don't attempt to use VC as a personal army.

• Please do not 'Jr. Mod' the boards. Spamming a thread with demands that an user be banned or suspended is not helpful. Using the Report system is the best way to make sure the staff sees and deals with an issue accordingly.

• Have fun and enjoy the music. And records. And cassettes.

After what has happened in the record day thread, I felt the need to go back and read this list. I don't understand what is happening over there. I'm doing all I can to be respectful but these guys came out with a vengeance. My option, which I'm exercising, is to ignore. I'm fine with that. The reason I'm posting this is that being new, I feel I may have violated a policy on this list and don't want to get "suspended and/or banned without any warning." 

If I continue to act respectful, but they continue with the personal attacks, should I be concerned about being banned? The reason I ask, is that I'm an internet forum veteran, and I've seen people in my position banned because the mods blamed them for "causing" the others to "act out" and therefor they were at fault for all the personal attacks against them. They are simply accused of the blanket accusation of "trolling".  I don't want that to happen. 

Again, I can take any and all personal attacks. They are like water off a ducks back (i.e. this is not a complaint about their personal attacks. They don't bother me.). But if I'm going to be held responsible for the attacks by others against me, I would like to be forewarned. As I said in my "Introduce yourself" post, these rules are one of the reasons I chose this site. 

I have found that too often on the internet, "troll" is the new "ni**er"  That is, the worst attack there is against another member is to call them a "troll" simply because they disagree with you. And I've seen it used to ban people who, in their "trolling" post, was simply stating a valid opinion (which I may even have disagreed with). 

Anyway, I notice this site is relatively quiet compared to most I've been on, and I think being newbee friendly is a big step in growing. Not all are as resilient as I am, and when a simple and honest comment gets them a ton of  profanity laced "you're not one of us" posts, they may self ban. 

I'm just trying to give what I hope may be some useful feedback

Edited by Direct driver

Welcome. You haven't violated a policy and you'll never be banned for being respectful. Of course, it's rare for anyone to get banned, even the jerks. You'll get a feel for the board and once you "read the room" I think you'll easily figure out the vibe/makeup around here. Or just read through a bunch of threads. If you can withstand the masks incident, you'll be fine. People won't normally be so aggressive but we all know that's about as touchy as a topic gets. If you strike a nerve and it's irrelevant, just move on. The rest of us that only want the relevant info don't want the thread cluttered up with pages of pointless arguments, etc. That being said, there's still tons of that here anyway but who needs more of that? Enjoy!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...