PO NOW: 14 Iced Bears S/T 2xLP and Wonder 2XLP Reissues on Optic Nerve [May 26th, 2017]

14 ICED BEARS - 14 ICED BEARS 2LP

THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER FOR 26 MAY RELEASE DATE

Limited edition double album pressed on colour vinyl. Gatefold sleeve, printed inners. 

Original album plus 12 track bonus LP including all tracks from their first three singles

The 14 Iced Bears were formed within a vibrant indie scene in Brighton in 1985 by Robert Sekula and drummer Nick Emery, with a punky, DIY pop ethic that held melody as key and technical expertise as less of an issue . They wrote catchy pop songs, recorded with a ramshackle charm that reflected their passion for sixties garage and psychedelia. Inspired by bands like The Byrds, and Velvet Underground  this set them apart from their C86 contemporaries. 
They were spotted at their first gig  by-ex Television Personalities bassist Mark Flunder, he decided that he wanted to put out a 14 Iced Bears single on the fledgling Frank Records and  Inside, was released in late 1986. On hearing it, legendary BBC 1 Radio 1 DJ John Peel booked them in for a session. His enthusiasm was evident. He made it one of his sessions of the year and praised each track in turn after playing it. ,Balloon Song was featured in the session and the single version which fronted the bands second single, The Importance of Being Frank EP further consolidated their following. The band toured England and Europe and the press was ecstatic. The late 80s revival of classic guitar-based pop was kind to the 'Bears, and Sekula's talent at penning catchy, twisted melodies earned them a coveted spot as one of the best of the lot. A third single sealed the deal, the raucous Come Get Me on the seminal indie label Sarah Records.
The band went on the release their self-titled debut album in 1988; it was a masterpiece of psychedelic pop that turned a lot of heads with it's ambition and skilled songcraft. The album betrayed the influence of sixties psychedelia on the group and became a hit on US college radio

LP1

TAKE IT

HOLLAND

TRAIN SONG

MOTHS

HAY FEVER

FLORENCE

SPANGLE

DUST REMAINS

CUT

SURFACER

LP2

COME GET ME

SURE TO SEE

UNHAPPY DAYS

IF I SAID

MILES AWAY

BALLOON SONG

TRAIN SONG (Different Version)

LIKE A DOLPHIN

LIE TO CHOOSE

BLUE SUIT

CUT (Different Version)

INSIDE

14 ICED BEARS - WONDER 2LP

THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER FOR 26 MAY RELEASE DATE

Limited edition double album pressed on colour vinyl. Gatefold sleeve, printed inners. 

Includes 9 track bonus disc that contains tracks from the "World I Love EP" , "Mother Sleep EP" and "Hold On EP"

14 Iced Bears second album "Wonder" was Originally released in 1991, by now they were listening more to The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Big Star and the 13th Floor Elevators and they had strayed even further from their early indie-pop origins towards spaced out soundscapes, their sound had become notably more psychedelic, with the band drawing deeper on their 60s influences, while still retaining the feel for melody present in their previous work.

The subsequent EP "Hold On/"Summer Nights"/"In The Morning" was to be the band's last release but they went on to support Sterling Morrison and Mo Tucker from the Velvet Underground and Big Star's Alex Chilton on his 1992 solo tour.

14 Iced Bears called it a day at the end of 1992 after Robert Sekula moved back to London, Thereafter their cult status grew, fuelled by CD retrospectives from Overground, Slumberland and Cherry Red. Culminating in 2010 when the band reformed and toured the US.

LP 1

HOLD ON

HEAVEN STAR

SMOOTH IN THE SUN

THESE ARE THE THINGS

WHEN IT COMES

RARE (LIKE YOU ARE)

LOVE ON A SUGAR MOUNTAIN

EYES

RED NOW

LP2

COMING DOWN