holy crap (aka Nevermind test pressing on ebay)

flood

I wonder if this is the test pressing for those classic album represses that people do.

for instance

http://www.amazon.com/Nevermind-Nirvana/....4024310& sr=1-7

Looking at the auction that appears to be true

MFSL = Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab - http://www.mofi.com/

Therefore.. Not original Subpop test press

Still thought, it'd be nice to have. Maybe not for that much though

Edit: that being said.. I'm in for one of these when it comes out

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=89

This album has 1000 different pressings....I don't think there's really an original Sub Pop pressing. They pressed this in 30 different countries....was there even a domestic US pressing?

Anyhow, companies like MFSL and Simply Vinyl are pressing these records for audiophiles who want to listen to them on incredibly expensive turntables, not collectors. That being said, the test pressing is obviously something collectors would be into...I just don't think I could spend $400+ on a record. That's just insane.

So are these bidders getting hosed?

Absolutely not. They know exactly what they're bidding on. The Nirvana MFSL was issued only once and has been out of print forever. Regular copies of it sell for $150-$250. The test pressing is something that would be highly valued by an MFSL collector or a Nirvana collector.

That being said, yes, Nevermind has been pressed in many different countries, although quite a few of those are bootlegs. So there would potentially be more Nevermind test pressings than other albums that weren't as popular.

And yes, there's an original US issue. It's on Geffen (or DGC, not sure of the top of my head) with a little Sub Pop logo so it's considered a major label release. It's fairly hard to find.

So are these bidders getting hosed?

Absolutely not. They know exactly what they're bidding on. The Nirvana MFSL was issued only once and has been out of print forever. Regular copies of it sell for $150-$250. The test pressing is something that would be highly valued by an MFSL collector or a Nirvana collector.

That being said, yes, Nevermind has been pressed in many different countries, although quite a few of those are bootlegs. So there would potentially be more Nevermind test pressings than other albums that weren't as popular.

And yes, there's an original US issue. It's on Geffen (or DGC, not sure of the top of my head) with a little Sub Pop logo so it's considered a major label release. It's fairly hard to find.

I'm guessing DGC, since that was still around until '95-'96, I think.