Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

A buddy just recommended this group from Russia, and I must say... I am very impressed.  Nothing terribly ground-breaking in approach, but the content and execution are great.  I've especially been taken by the first main melody theme in "Ruin Aftermath".  It's already stuck in my head.  Upon listening further, I must say these guys have an ear for good melody notes.  This is fantastic. 

Sometimes they're on the grungier side of post-rock, almost like that new Shy, Low track.  I think you guys will like this stuff though.  I can't say enough good things about their sense of melody. 

https://aerisband.bandcamp.com/album/astra

Edited by Gumbo72203

So the new I/O album dropped today, and man.... this is some good stuff.  It's not very ground-breaking so much as it's just very well-written and effective upbeat post-rock without the heavier bend that Pray For Sound gives to their stuff. 

Give it a listen.  Personally, I think the album's closer might be the finest song they've written.  Full stream here:  http://echoesanddust.com/2017/07/exclusive-album-premiere-io-anyone-anywhere/

Not a jab at you, Gumbo, but I legitimately feel like the last 9 of your 10 suggestions or recommendations have included the disclaimer "not very ground-breaking" or "kind of generic" or "fairly basic" or "par for the course", etc. etc.  (Perhaps I'm imagining that, or exaggerating the percentage in my head.)  It's cool that you're at least recognizing that the sound isn't revolutionary when it's being aped by every other Bandcamp band calling themselves post-whatever.  But at the same time, it doesn't instill the most confidence to explore.  I appreciate the honesty with your suggestions, but it leaves me wondering – is the world of post-rock really that dry right now?

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Not a jab at you, Gumbo, but I legitimately feel like the last 9 of your 10 suggestions or recommendations have included the disclaimer "not very ground-breaking" or "kind of generic" or "fairly basic" or "par for the course", etc. etc.  (Perhaps I'm imagining that, or exaggerating the percentage in my head.)  It's cool that you're at least recognizing that the sound isn't revolutionary when it's being aped by every other Bandcamp band calling themselves post-whatever.  But at the same time, it doesn't instill the most confidence to explore.  I appreciate the honesty with your suggestions, but it leaves me wondering – is the world of post-rock really that dry right now?

Well.... typically when I say that, I'm just trying to imply that they simply aren't breaking the mold really in the songwriting or style by making something totally unheard before.  I never know how to pitch things to you guys here....  because when I often do, I feel like I get replies kinda like "this is uninteresting and not groundbreaking, so it's not worth listening."  I often feel like you guys only consider things that are absolutely 100% unique and new and original, rather than well-done iterations of previously developed archetypes. 

That I/O album is pretty damn awesome.  It's just up-beat post-rock, which is nothing new... but so well done I feel like.  Check out that Aeris album too man...  kinda has an old-school Set and Setting vibe.  Dark and moody.  Incredibly well-done. 

EDIT:  Also, I just went back and looked... it was 2 recommendations I said that about.  Just two!  Familiarity bias?  haha

Edited by Gumbo72203

For what it's worth, Gumbo, I appreciated the I/O notice. I remember when they released the first single off that album a while ago and I loved it but I totally forgot all about it until just now. So it was a nice little surprise for me. I wasn't a huge fan of Saudade but I think I'll enjoy this new one.

4 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

I/O's new album is pretty cool. Nice upbeat and positive Post-Rock. I had already quite enjoyed their previous album Saudade. 

Have also gone back and revisited Black Clouds' Dreamcation. I honestly don't know how I never paid too much attention to this. Managed to snag the record for $5 on Amazon as well.

Saudade didn't grab me, either, but I will check out I/O's new one for sure.

Black Clouds' EINGTBOK clicked immediately (my listening copy is a TP :ph34r:), and several friends with similar ears were really down on Dreamcation, so I slacked on checking it out. I think I like it better than their debut. Doesn't even sound like the same band to me.

$5 is an incredible price, unbelievable! I paid $10 for a Clear. Thought about hunting down a Deluxe edition, but the Clear is just fine. 

I think I need to put that on right after this GIAA finishes...

On 7/8/2017 at 4:47 PM, omik11303 said:

For what it's worth, Gumbo, I appreciated the I/O notice. I remember when they released the first single off that album a while ago and I loved it but I totally forgot all about it until just now. So it was a nice little surprise for me. I wasn't a huge fan of Saudade but I think I'll enjoy this new one.

I loved Saudade and I think this new one is even better.  The songwriting is more deep and well-developed, I guess you could say.  Every track is great.  I was surprised at how easily I blew through the album.  Some post-rock whole album listens are a chore, but this one was a breeze.  Every song kept the momentum going. 

6 hours ago, drds89 said:

Saudade didn't grab me, either, but I will check out I/O's new one for sure.

Black Clouds' EINGTBOK clicked immediately (my listening copy is a TP :ph34r:), and several friends with similar ears were really down on Dreamcation, so I slacked on checking it out. I think I like it better than their debut. Doesn't even sound like the same band to me.

$5 is an incredible price, unbelievable! I paid $10 for a Clear. Thought about hunting down a Deluxe edition, but the Clear is just fine. 

I think I need to put that on right after this GIAA finishes...

and @wisdom81I don't know this Black Clouds group, so I will check them out right now!

EDIT:  God damnit.  Another freaking record to add to the ever-growing pile of "need to get".  You are bad influences. 

Also, these guys just popped up on a sponsored thread on Facebook and I'm very glad they did, because the material is pretty top notch.  They are called Cascades, and are from Australia.  They were listed as FFO:  Neurosis, Isis, and Year of No Light.  That's a pretty solid representation of their stuff.  If you've been missing some of the aggression of Isis in your life... check this out.  They incorporate a lot of synthesizer work which gives the crushing riffs a really cool atmosphere over top.  They have vinyl available and it can be had from Australia for around $33usd ppd which isn't too bad at all. 

https://cascades-au.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Gumbo72203

2 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Been listening to Cascades a good bit over these last few weeks. More Post-Metal than Post-Rock but definitely good stuff. 

For sure!  The more slow, doomy stuff doesn't often hold my attention but these guys are fantastic.  Omega Massif for example... just not my thing.  Same with Malammar.  But with these guys, the keyboard work gives it enough atmosphere, and that singer is a monster. 

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The new This Patch Of Sky track is pretty solid.  Only seeing UK pre-orders over at Dunk (despite the band being from the US?) so I'm not sure what's going on, on that front.

A bunch of stoner/doom bands do this and it drives me nuts.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:35 PM, abovetheearth said:

Do you not have any Black clouds albums gumbo?

Nope, never even heard of them before seeing those posts!

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

The new This Patch Of Sky track is pretty solid.  Only seeing UK pre-orders over at Dunk (despite the band being from the US?) so I'm not sure what's going on, on that front.

Rest of the stuff is up.  Merchnow and Suicide Silence have the US stuff. 

On 5/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, batman said:

I revisited 'Asunder' earlier and I really hope GY!BE has something else up their sleeves soon--you never know with them

On 5/3/2017 at 2:30 PM, Derek™ said:

They always do, it just takes them literal years to release studio versions of it.  The new tracks they debuted during the Asunder tour are phenomenal.  Can't wait for that next album to drop.  Hopefully before 2019.

Well before 2019 :D

20 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Like the shitty metalcore band?

12 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

HAHAHAHAHA

14 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

Science of Silence, Gumby. And it's $35ppd

Hahahaha I always fucking do that.  D'oh!  The new song is really cool.... it's different hearing a cello lead a song like that.  Are you guys coming to Dunk?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, do any of you guys have Mono - You Are There and Hymn To The Immortal Wind on black?  I'm curious about the quality of your copies, if you do. 

I've picked up a copy of each, and I'm just curious if your copies are as noisy as mine.  Both are fairly significantly loaded with crackles and pops, even after cleaning.  The previous owner had stored them in Mofi master sleeves and closeable sleeves which is great, because neither of them have static or dust issues.  I just wonder if this is an issue with the black pressing in general from TRL itself, because it's kind of a bummer to hear Mono's glorious music be interrupted and overpowered by crackling.  The music itself sounds fantastic on here, so I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to sell these off for what I paid, and invest in a new copy, or of different colors?  Any thoughts?