Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

That Glories album is still my fav post-rock album of the year.  Really really sucks about that loss.  I had my fingers crossed they'd appear at Dunk.  Listening to that album after hearing that news really brought the feels.  It's such a great album start to finish.  

Edited by mrewest

28 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, apparently that TRNA release had so much hype around the world it broke the Elusive Sound servers.  They had so many people jump on their site at once, it crashed haha. 

120 Euros, sold out. There is still the Test Press up for 60 Euro if you're really into their music and the TP thing. Site is still running slow.

34 minutes ago, drds89 said:

120 Euros, sold out. There is still the Test Press up for 60 Euro if you're really into their music and the TP thing. Site is still running slow.

Is that the prototype you're talking about?  CJ has copies of the regular edition, please buy them from him!  I'm getting mine that way.  Got the /50 and /10 from Elusive though.  I told myself i wasn't going to collect the entire Elusive catalog.... but they just look so cool.  However, the box is just out of my price range.  The music isn't my favorite, but I'd like to at least see them in person before unloading for cost to someone cool :D

These copies are FLYING though now.  Holy cow. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

I almost missed on this, I was there when they were supposed to go up but had to leave quickly after that. 

Luckily, they were some wooden box left  (2) when I came back home and I got one. I also got a copy of veles. 

I was a little surprised to see that this release had so much hype, I definitely didn't thought those would sold out so quickly. And even less thought that the server would crash because of that.

6 hours ago, kentin31 said:

I almost missed on this, I was there when they were supposed to go up but had to leave quickly after that. 

Luckily, they were some wooden box left  (2) when I came back home and I got one. I also got a copy of veles. 

I was a little surprised to see that this release had so much hype, I definitely didn't thought those would sold out so quickly. And even less thought that the server would crash because of that.

Yeah man, I'm with you.  I didn't realize TRNA was so popular around the world!  The material is great, but it's my least-favorite of the stuff they've released so far.  Which I guess speaks to the quality of their previous releases :D  I know I can't wait to hear "Calm" on vinyl though, that song is fucking awesome. 

I can only imagine what's going to happen when they drop the new Silent Whale album next year haha.  They better have like 3 extra servers, because I imagine the post-rock world is going to go absolutely crazy for that release!  XD 

On 5/30/2017 at 0:18 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, be prepared for a spectacular lineup in Burlington.  Just wait until you hear who is coming. 

So is the final announcement supposed to be what makes this spectacular?  I'm stoked for most of the lineup so far, but I wouldn't say it's spectacular.  I imagine the 2nd headliner will be announced, and I'm hoping it's not Explosions or Godspeed or something.  Would love for it to be Do Make Say Think.  I'm guessing Euro bands are out at this point.

4 hours ago, mrewest said:

So is the final announcement supposed to be what makes this spectacular?  I'm stoked for most of the lineup so far, but I wouldn't say it's spectacular.  I imagine the 2nd headliner will be announced, and I'm hoping it's not Explosions or Godspeed or something.  Would love for it to be Do Make Say Think.  I'm guessing Euro bands are out at this point.

I mean, I think it's pretty damn good.  Sadly no Euro bands this time.  Just showcasing US stuff plus Appalaches.  If it does well enough, I have to imagine that next year the Euro bands will come over.  But we Americans have to show up and speak with our wallets to let Wout and company know that, should he bring over Kokomo, Astralia, Year of No Light, Lost In Kiev, We Lost The Sea, etc that people will show up!  This is a business after all. 

3 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I mean, I think it's pretty damn good.  Sadly no Euro bands this time.  Just showcasing US stuff plus Appalaches.  If it does well enough, I have to imagine that next year the Euro bands will come over.  But we Americans have to show up and speak with our wallets to let Wout and company know that, should he bring over Kokomo, Astralia, Year of No Light, Lost In Kiev, We Lost The Sea, etc that people will show up!  This is a business after all. 

It's this kind of thinking that let's mediocre shit happen. 

If someone puts out a product, or puts on a festival that I'm not interested enough in to buy it on its own merits, I'm not going to spend money on it in hopes that something better will happen the following year/in the future. There is no reason to reward mediocrity.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It's this kind of thinking that let's mediocre shit happen. 

If someone puts out a product, or puts on a festival that I'm not interested enough in to buy it on its own merits, I'm not going to spend money on it in hopes that something better will happen the following year/in the future. There is no reason to reward mediocrity.

Well, see I think it is interesting enough on it's own merits.  Plus, I think the whole point of the first edition is to showcase what's HERE.  But imagine if they spent all that money, flying in all those bands, and then lost money.  Then of course they wouldn't come again. 

You have a point, but I don't think it applies here really.  Lay a groundwork with what's here.  If it's successful enough, then go bigger next time.  It's a testing-of-the-waters in my mind. 

7 hours ago, mrewest said:

I can confirm that EITS and Godspeed are not playing. 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Well, see I think it is interesting enough on it's own merits.  Plus, I think the whole point of the first edition is to showcase what's HERE.  But imagine if they spent all that money, flying in all those bands, and then lost money.  Then of course they wouldn't come again. 

You have a point, but I don't think it applies here really.  Lay a groundwork with what's here.  If it's successful enough, then go bigger next time.  It's a testing-of-the-waters in my mind. 

It applies to the point you made that people need to "speak with their wallet to let [them] know to bring over other bands" (we actually want to see) when other folks here have already expressed disappointment with the lineup.

It may not apply specifically to you, I forget where you live and maybe decent to good US based bands never come near you or you're close enough that it's a day trip, but abstaining from going to something that isn't up to you standards is also "speaking with your wallet" and I'd imagine that with the announcements so far, most folks here are going to do just that.

Had this fest brought a bunch of great Euro bands that are hard to see in the US, I would guess more folks who frequent this thread would go so far as to: get a plane ticket, get a hotel, get tickets to the fest, rent a car, pay for their meals, etc. and go support this. Spending nearly (or over) $1000 to go see a bunch of bands that, eh... you enjoy well enough but can see on a normal tour the following year/whenever isn't incentive to go out and spend that kind of cash. Hell, I saw Coastlands and ITTCT last year for like...twelve bucks. So:

Let's break this down from where I am, about as far from Vermont as you can get in the US. 7 hours and $500+ gets me to Burlington...but at that point I don't have a ticket, a place to stay, any food, transportation anywhere...you have to understand that unless there is some absolutely killer band (preferably at least 3 or 4) that there is little chance to see in their hometown easily, people aren't willing to put up that kind of cash/commitment to go to something like this. "Speaking with your wallet" the way you were saying it is like saying "Hey, come pay $1000 for a lineup that is pretty good, but doesn't have the bands you were hoping for, all in the hope that next year you'll get to spend that much time and money again to see the festival you were originally hoping for (then a disclaimer that it may just be the same US based bands again the following year anyway because everyone came out showed so much support the year before).

You'd have to be crazy to do something like that.  Granted if you live nearby and you can get there with little time/money commitment beyond the ticket, great. Good for you, that's why you don't think that my comment applies.

/rant

But you get it now, right? (probably not)

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

Yeah I agree with Mr Savage about it being irresponsible financially to drop that much coin on a festival that's good, but not great.  For the record, I'm making the 9.5 hour drive from Ohio with my brother to go.  already got my tix.  But we're driving to save money & splitting the hotel/gas & all that.  I'm still just excited to go to this kind of festival in general, but I really was hoping some Euro bands would make an appearance.  Pelican is a shitty headliner IMO, but I've never been into them.  I listened to their Dunk live album and almost fell asleep.  Wish it coulda been Russian Circles or Caspian in place of them (unless one of them are the 2nd headliner). Again though, I'd be thrilled with Do Make Say Think.  New album, haven't toured in forever, I think that would be perfect for the inaugural US Dunk.

It would pretty much take Jakob + some other bucket-listers like Meniscus to get me up there for a festival in this decrepit body o'mine.

I hope there is a strong showing though / enough New Englanders and youngsters like @mrewest making a trek to postrock USA Mecca.

For any who care about a band capable of making some very solid music, Collapse Under The Empire has a new one out October 20 called "The Fallen Ones"

The Fallen Ones preorder

Watch/listen to a 6 min track which is unlisted on Youtube:

Dark Water

I'm waiting for the whole shebang to leak or drop first

On 8/17/2017 at 11:31 AM, mrewest said:

Yeah I agree with Mr Savage about it being irresponsible financially to drop that much coin on a festival that's good, but not great.  For the record, I'm making the 9.5 hour drive from Ohio with my brother to go.  already got my tix.  But we're driving to save money & splitting the hotel/gas & all that.  I'm still just excited to go to this kind of festival in general, but I really was hoping some Euro bands would make an appearance.  Pelican is a shitty headliner IMO, but I've never been into them.  I listened to their Dunk live album and almost fell asleep.  Wish it coulda been Russian Circles or Caspian in place of them (unless one of them are the 2nd headliner). Again though, I'd be thrilled with Do Make Say Think.  New album, haven't toured in forever, I think that would be perfect for the inaugural US Dunk.

Caspian will not be playing.  Phil is playing bass for Junius though!

I get what you guys are saying, but I guess I just look at it differently.  To me, it's about the experience as well as the bands.  Sure, it's not the lineup I would prefer either.  I could give a shit about Pelican, really, even though I enjoyed their set very much in Denmark.  I was also told that they DID try to get some Euro bands, but the schedules just didn't line up, so my line of thinking wasn't even how they were operating.  I'm not involved, I just know people who are... so I asked about it. 

What also gets me excited is that so often, I'll listen to a band's studio work and it will be whatever, but then I hear them live, and it's completely different, and they blow me away.  That happened so much at Dunk this year.  So, these bands that I'm not familiar with or don't necessarily LOVE on record, I'm confident they'll deliver on the stage. 

Plus, to me you can't really put a price on being able to get together with people who love this small genre of music as much as we do.  That's what was so truly beautiful about going to Belgium.... there's all these people, from all over the world, and you geek out together on ITTCT, or Jakob, etc.  Because I'm willing to bet that for most of you, just like me, your best friends aren't into post-rock, and you don't get to get jacked on that enthusiasm and excitement in person very often, if ever.  Being able to do that in real life is just.... it's beautiful, man.  It's a great, awesome thing.  Because not only are they a fan of the bands, they're also very likely vinyl collectors.  So you can geek out on the ITTCT variants, or the WLTS records, or whatever.  I mean, I'm very social so I love that kind of shit, you guys might be different. 

So, for me... it's not even really about the music alone.  But I can understand that if you're super far away, it could be different, if you don't love most of the bands.  I would still argue though that you would undoubtedly have fun, and be glad you went.  There's no way seeing these bands with the Dunk light and sound production won't be worth it. 

In honor of Caspian not playing...

[Just got it done a few hours ago. It's still swollen so looks crooked, but it's not. Hard to get a shot of my right arm, but I'll get better photos later. I didn't know this beforehand, but the artist that did it has tattooed Jani before.; small world. The dude was really cool. We talked Godspeed, Envy, Mount Eerie, Converge, etc. I'm thinking this is gonna be a Caspian half sleeve. Who knows what the future holds. For now, I'm really stoked.]

xdDSGtp.jpg

7gkpCD0.jpg

16 minutes ago, batman said:

Man, I wish I had the time/money/lack of responsibilities to fly around the country/world for concerts. I'm taking a family vacation to Florida next week, so that's cool I guess. Might listen to Caspian on the drive there or something. 

What's with the passive-aggressiveness man?  I mean, I planned, saved my money, and took (very short!) vacations.  Nothing is impossible if you want it badly enough, but I feel tremendously grateful and lucky that I was able to get the time off from work to do these trips.

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

In honor of Caspian not playing...

[Just got it done a few hours ago. It's still swollen so looks crooked, but it's not. Hard to get a shot of my right arm, but I'll get better photos later. I didn't know this beforehand, but the artist that did it has tattooed Jani before.; small world. The dude was really cool. We talked Godspeed, Envy, Mount Eerie, Converge, etc. I'm thinking this is gonna be a Caspian half sleeve. Who knows what the future holds. For now, I'm really stoked.]

xdDSGtp.jpg

7gkpCD0.jpg

Very cool, but I'm hoping the story behind this isn't what I'm thinking it is :(

Also, in HUGE other news....  Elusive Sound signed Ravena and will be releasing Laocoon on vinyl in 2018.  This is massive.  I was talking to those guys, asking about pricing for putting records out and seeing what it takes because I was going to just use a chunk of my nest-egg to get this made if nobody else was going to do it.  It's crazy how sometimes bands with as little as 400 likes on Facebook can release something so tremendous. 

Between Silent Whale and now this, 2018 is going to be wonderful for post-rock vinyl. 

23 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, in HUGE other news....  Elusive Sound signed Ravena and will be releasing Laocoon on vinyl in 2018.  This is massive.  I was talking to those guys, asking about pricing for putting records out and seeing what it takes because I was going to just use a chunk of my nest-egg to get this made if nobody else was going to do it.  It's crazy how sometimes bands with as little as 400 likes on Facebook can release something so tremendous. 

Between Silent Whale and now this, 2018 is going to be wonderful for post-rock vinyl. 

Going to be very interesting to see how ES works with the release, given that one of the tracks is over an hour long. From what I've heard, that track is basically the rest of the album uncut with some additional interludes? All I know is that I couldn't get through the first two songs when I first tried to listen to this. Not my thing at all; very boring. I'm sure I'll try again, though, now that there's the incentive of pretty vinyl to motivate me...

New Silent Whale can't come soon enough, on the other hand.

2 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Going to be very interesting to see how ES works with the release, given that one of the tracks is over an hour long. From what I've heard, that track is basically the rest of the album uncut with some additional interludes? All I know is that I couldn't get through the first two songs when I first tried to listen to this. Not my thing at all; very boring. I'm sure I'll try again, though, now that there's the incentive of pretty vinyl to motivate me...

New Silent Whale can't come soon enough, on the other hand.

Yeah, that final track is the whole album with some added ambient soundscape-y parts to tie them together.  I have to imagine that will not be pressed, that it will be only the 4 proper individual tracks.  I would definitely try again.  It's very slow developing, so I can see how you'd lose focus or interest rather quickly.  But for me, when they got to the goods, it was reallllllly satisfying. 

And yeah dude.  New Silent Whale.... oh man. 

Did you ever listen to the BLAK album?  I thought it was somewhat meh at first, but the more i check it out, the more interesting it becomes to me. 

12 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Did you ever listen to the BLAK album?  I thought it was somewhat meh at first, but the more i check it out, the more interesting it becomes to me. 

Haven't had time to listen to it in full but I really liked the pieces of it I've heard so far. There's been a lot of quality under-the-radar albums released this year while all the big guns seem to be hibernating, which has created an interesting dynamic. I agree with you that 2018 is shaping up to be madness.

Edited by omik11303

48 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Haven't had time to listen to it in full but I really liked the pieces of it I've heard so far. There's been a lot of quality under-the-radar albums released this year while all the big guns seem to be hibernating, which has created an interesting dynamic. I agree with you that 2018 is shaping up to be madness.

Yeah it's pretty neat.  At first I thought it was very generic and run-of-the-mill, but good, but the more i listen to it, the more cool things stand out to me. 

Lets not discount this coming Fall though!  9/22 sees releases from This Patch of Sky, Ranges, Wander, and Godspeed as well as Rosetta's new album coming 9/1. 

Ranges and Wander both dropped first looks with new tracks from their upcoming releases.  The Wander track didn't do it for me that much at first; it's certainly good but it's missing the heavy, frantic energy that I love so much about "Mourning".  This Ranges track is wonderful though.  So relaxed, so celestial. 

Wander: https://wanderband.bandcamp.com/album/glass

Ranges: