Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Also....  question for you guys.  Lowercase Noises is doing a house show tour, and for some strange reason they're playing a show in Schenectady, which is right by me.  Tickets are $20 though.  This seems very steep.  Have any of you seen these guys live before?  I want to go, because there is literally never any post-rock shows here. 

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also....  question for you guys.  Lowercase Noises is doing a house show tour, and for some strange reason he's playing a show in Schenectady, which is right by me.  Tickets are $20 though.  This seems very steep.  Have any of you seen these guys him live before?  I want to go, because there is literally never any post-rock shows here. 

Andy Othling is awesome, amazingly talented, and introduced to me by @abovetheearth If he were playing a house show for only $20 within 3 to 4 hrs I would go in a heartbeat

I went to his house show in Houston and it was incredible. A bit short, but it was well worth the money. 

Also, not sure I'd categorize it as post-rock. Much more on the ambient side. It was just Andy performing solo w/ Hotel Neon opening when I saw him.

Edited by batman

On 10/17/2017 at 8:40 PM, drds89 said:

Andy Othling is awesome, amazingly talented, and introduced to me by @abovetheearth If he were playing a house show for only $20 within 3 to 4 hrs I would go in a heartbeat

On 10/17/2017 at 11:21 PM, batman said:

I went to his house show in Houston and it was incredible. A bit short, but it was well worth the money. 

Also, not sure I'd categorize it as post-rock. Much more on the ambient side. It was just Andy performing solo w/ Hotel Neon opening when I saw him.

Well, I guess I will try to make it then!  haha

Been spending a lot more time with "These Small Spaces" lately, and it's an interesting album.  I don't remember if it was Evan who said that "there's a lot going on with the songs, but nothing is happening" and that statement is absolutely correct.  I'm not as big of a fan of their soundscape approach to songs now, because the tunes sound gorgeous, but there isn't much development.  I'm just not much into ambient songs, because there isn't enough development and change for me, overall.

That said, this album on vinyl is an absolute monster.  It sounds utterly incredible.  Some of the songs have a lot more dynamics to them on this format, and it lends the tunes a lot more character.  There are more noticeable peaks and valleys, which I think helps alleviate the sense of nothing happening, and gives some more momentum to tracks like "Her Beating Wings" and "Vermillion Cliffs". 

I can't help but feel if they had this production value on an album like Newly Risen where it's more classic post-rock with guitar work that sounds like guitars, it might be one of the greatest post-rock albums of all time, because bringing the cello to the forefront has given the band a really cool, unique sound.  This is still a tremendous album, but for my personal tastes, i need more delay guitar riffs to balance out the ambient washes :)  They still do need a drummer that can play more than one rhythmic pattern between his kick and snare drum :P 

Anyway, in effect.... this album crushes on vinyl. 

New one for anyone with some spare time:

23ibixi.jpg

I don't know that I've ever listened to an album that sounds so much like a mash-up of post-rock/noise bands at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. Tracks 1 and 2 sound like vintage Godspeed, circa Skinny Fists and Yanqui. All of a sudden track 3 comes on and the first five minutes feel like I just pulled a B-side from Saxon Shore's latest, until it collapses in chaos, ushering in "Roads:" a swirling, apocalyptic concoction of distortion and percussion not unlike Year of No Light or familiar "Piss Crowns" from Godspeed's Asunder. The last two songs bring the album full-circle; "Gathering Clouds" brings back the old-school Godspeed goodness with hints of Mono shining through, while "Parting Hymns" is a largely upbeat finale with chimes and guitar loops that reminder me of Do Make Say Think, although that may perhaps be more my initial reaction than from any actual likeness. Highly recommended.

In today's edition of Post-Rock lolz....   https://icor.bandcamp.com/track/thanatos

I'm not sure there's been a more direct rip-off of a song yet.  This track was better when it was "On Floating" by The End of the Ocean lol.

@Sasan you posted some band I think months ago that we determined was literally a direct copy of "Quiet"....   do you remember who that was?

On 31.10.2017 at 3:38 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

In today's edition of Post-Rock lolz....   https://icor.bandcamp.com/track/thanatos

I'm not sure there's been a more direct rip-off of a song yet.  This track was better when it was "On Floating" by The End of the Ocean lol.

@Sasan you posted some band I think months ago that we determined was literally a direct copy of "Quiet"....   do you remember who that was?

Yeah, I remember...well, at least that someone (me? Don’t know) posted a band with a track that sounded exactly like Quiet...unfortunately, I cant remember the band‘s name...

On 10/30/2017 at 10:38 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

I think that was me haha.  I can't remember the band's name at the moment.  This is going to bug the shit outta me now.

from March 1, perhaps this?

Gumbo72203 said:
7 hours ago, mrewest said:

One of these days, at the very least I'll update that first post with a list of every band mentioned in here.  But today is not that day.  So I apologize if this band has been mentioned before.  I tried doing a search and didn't come up with anything.

But after seeing Dunk post about them, I checked out The Best Pessimist.  A perfect mix of This Patch of Sky & The American Dollar in my opinion.

https://thebestpessimist.bandcamp.com/album/the-half-world

Track 8 finds them covering "Quiet" by This Will Destroy You lol

On 10/30/2017 at 9:00 AM, omik11303 said:

23ibixi.jpg

I don't know that I've ever listened to an album that sounds so much like a mash-up of post-rock/noise bands at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. Tracks 1 and 2 sound like vintage Godspeed, circa Skinny Fists and Yanqui. All of a sudden track 3 comes on and the first five minutes feel like I just pulled a B-side from Saxon Shore's latest, until it collapses in chaos, ushering in "Roads:" a swirling, apocalyptic concoction of distortion and percussion not unlike Year of No Light or familiar "Piss Crowns" from Godspeed's Asunder. The last two songs bring the album full-circle; "Gathering Clouds" brings back the old-school Godspeed goodness with hints of Mono shining through, while "Parting Hymns" is a largely upbeat finale with chimes and guitar loops that reminder me of Do Make Say Think, although that may perhaps be more my initial reaction than from any actual likeness. Highly recommended.

This is rad.  I enjoyed my listen of it, but one qualm is that it's almost maybe too on-the-nose with GY!BE.  That opening track has a drone that's not out of place from LYSF, like you said, but the melody that accompanies it feels like it was plucked straight off the album itself.  The titles they use (and even the band name) are pretty reminiscent of Silver Mount Zion, too.  I'm not complaining, really – I'd probably buy a physical copy of it after one listen, for when I'm itching to hear Godspeed without listening to Godspeed.  But it's by far the most GY!BE-sounding album I've ever heard.  You see that comparison tossed around in so countless reviews, almost like a landmark for the genre – and rightfully so – but this is definitely something that sounds in line with the band's late 90s / early 2000s output. Pretty damn cool if you can get over just how much they're wearing their influence on their sleeves.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:55 PM, Derek™ said:

This is rad.  I enjoyed my listen of it, but one qualm is that it's almost maybe too on-the-nose with GY!BE.  That opening track has a drone that's not out of place from LYSF, like you said, but the melody that accompanies it feels like it was plucked straight off the album itself.  The titles they use (and even the band name) are pretty reminiscent of Silver Mount Zion, too.  I'm not complaining, really – I'd probably buy a physical copy of it after one listen, for when I'm itching to hear Godspeed without listening to Godspeed.  But it's by far the most GY!BE-sounding album I've ever heard.  You see that comparison tossed around in so countless reviews, almost like a landmark for the genre – and rightfully so – but this is definitely something that sounds in line with the band's late 90s / early 2000s output. Pretty damn cool if you can get over just how much they're wearing their influence on their sleeves.

I completely echo your statement about a tendency to want to listen to Godspeed without listening to Godspeed, per se. A lot of times my go-to is something by Set Fire to Flames or an early Silver Mt. Zion release, but in a lot of ways that's almost cheating, given how many members each of those share. Come to think of it, GY!BE might be the only band that I actively seek copycats of, simply because their early stuff was so groundbreaking for me that I like to hear what others come up with. This is definitely the most similar-sounding album I've ever found, especially since most other copycats seem to either overdo the drones or are just too weird and psychedelic for my tastes. This falls right in that sweet middle ground, even if that middle ground is so narrow that there's scarcely room for any non-GY!BE band to carve out a unique sound without resorting to something close to a direct rip-off. Very happy you liked it, though. It's only been out a couple days but I think it's one of my favorite finds of the year.

Edited by omik11303

On 11/1/2017 at 9:59 AM, shamrocks said:

from March 1, perhaps this?

Gumbo72203 said:
7 hours ago, mrewest said:

One of these days, at the very least I'll update that first post with a list of every band mentioned in here.  But today is not that day.  So I apologize if this band has been mentioned before.  I tried doing a search and didn't come up with anything.

But after seeing Dunk post about them, I checked out The Best Pessimist.  A perfect mix of This Patch of Sky & The American Dollar in my opinion.

https://thebestpessimist.bandcamp.com/album/the-half-world

Track 8 finds them covering "Quiet" by This Will Destroy You lol

Yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Did you guys listen to that Icor track though?  It is *literally* the same riff as "On Floating".  The whole album is actually fairly well-done, if a little on the nose with mimicry of other bands.  "Selene" is basically a study in Mono's style, and actually does have some good moments itself.  I'm fine with that sort of thing as long as it's well-done; it doesn't have to be radically original like some of our friends seem to require (Derek i'm looking at you buddy haha). 

On 10/30/2017 at 12:00 PM, omik11303 said:

23ibixi.jpg

This, and everybody else's reactions, has me excited to check this out when I have some time finally!

Man Im late to the party on this guy, I think, but Alessandro Cortini's newest one "Avanti" is an excellent mesh of PR/drone, ambient but not just filler. I think this will end up one of my top 10 this year.

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/alessandro_cortini-avanti_album_stream

apparently recorded live on a single synth. there are some copies of the LP floating around it seems as well

Not EXACTLY post-rock related, but I thought someone here might have some insight:

Anyone know what is going on with The Mylene Sheath?  All has been quiet from their camp for months now, and I thought they were planning to release some good stuff this year, most notably Caspian represses.

8 hours ago, coreystevens88 said:

Not EXACTLY post-rock related, but I thought someone here might have some insight:

Anyone know what is going on with The Mylene Sheath?  All has been quiet from their camp for months now, and I thought they were planning to release some good stuff this year, most notably Caspian represses.

Over/under on whether we get the Jakob represses before the next presidential election?

23 hours ago, drds89 said:

I'd put it at 10,000 days.

Oops, wrong band, but Jakob did open for them.

It will be that long until that album comes out, if it ever does.  I hope they finally do release it though because 10,000 is nowhere near as good as Lateralus.  It's been an exceptionally long time since Sines though now....  hopefully they don't take after their repress campaign and cease to release new material!